FOX Sports: Cards Team Report (4-3)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=22

Team Report

Posted: 3 hours ago

The team strengthened its run defense this offseason, but there are major concerns at cornerback. There is only one proven starter currently on the roster -- David Macklin. Duane Starks was traded to New England and Renaldo Hill remains an unrestricted free agent. There are no youngsters ready to step in because the team hasn't drafted a cornerback since 2001. Coach Dennis Green doesn't seem concerned yet, and he points out that New England won the Super Bowl despite cornerback concerns. It won't be a surprise if the team takes two cornerbacks on the first day of the draft. . . .

Defensive tackle Wendell Bryant started working out at the team's facility weeks before offseason workouts officially started. If Bryant's renewed commitment results in improvement, the team's defensive line could be as deep as any in the NFL. Bryant could challenge for playing time at either tackle spot, but he most likely will back up Russell Davis on the nose. Bryant's career is at a crossroads. A first-round pick three years ago, he played in only three games last year, and he's started just a total of nine games. If he doesn't show dramatic improvement, he'll be in a different uniform next year. . . .

It won't get much attention, but the transformation of Fred Wakefield from defensive end to offensive tackle will be interesting to watch this summer. Wakefield spent last year on injured reserve, but he spent the season with the offensive line on the field and in meetings. Green has a history of success in making these kinds of moves.

SCOUTING REPORT: No one expects Eric Edwards to emerge as the next Antonio Gates, but he could develop into a serviceable tight end. He made the team last year as an undrafted rookie from Louisiana State and showed steady progress throughout the season. He played in every game, mostly on special teams, but by the end of the year he was involved in the offense as a backup. He's not particularly fast, but he has decent hands and his blocking skills should improve. It's questionable if he's good enough now to be a team's No. 1 tight end, but he certainly could fill the second or third spot.

COMEBACK STORY: Marcel Shipp's screams of pain echoed for a long time last summer in the domed facility at Northern Arizona University. The running back dislocated an ankle and fractured his fibula in a gruesome play during the team's training camp scrimmage. Shipp missed all of last year, but he's back this spring and hopes to be 100 percent for minicamps. He's been a diligent worker this offseason, and his car was often in the parking lot in the early-morning hours. For now, he's the team's starting running back. But as with every year, Shipp's hold on the job is tenuous. The team is expected to take a back early in the draft. Even as a backup, though, Shipp could play a big role. He's a tough runner with good agility. He doesn't have breakaway speed, which might be what keeps him out of the starting lineup.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Fascinating stuff about Bryant and Shipp.

I'm not too surprised by Shipp. He's always had the burning desire to play.

Isn't it amazing (simply amazing).

From the sorriest defensive line EVER. To one of the deepest, and maybe even best, defensive lines in the NFL.

IF we get the CB situation resolved. Its a playoff caliber defense. No, check that. Its a conference championship winning defense.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Defensive tackle Wendell Bryant started working out at the team's facility weeks before offseason workouts officially started. If Bryant's renewed commitment results in improvement, the team's defensive line could be as deep as any in the NFL. Bryant could challenge for playing time at either tackle spot, but he most likely will back up Russell Davis on the nose. Bryant's career is at a crossroads. A first-round pick three years ago, he played in only three games last year, and he's started just a total of nine games. If he doesn't show dramatic improvement, he'll be in a different uniform next year. . . .

This is good news. And certainly a 180 from what we saw from Bryant at the end of the year.

I hope he turns it around.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

This is such big news. If it is true and he is dedicated and turns into a first rounder like he should be, this could be the best thing to happen to us this offseason, even better then the possible draft, better then the FA's we brought in, and better then a possible Henry trade.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anything would be better then seeing him on the sidelines in a tee shirt and shorts.

Brevity

Tryin' to get my lap back
Reaction score
The news about Byant is encouraging, but you have to wonder. Is it too little, too late? Green doesn't seem to have much patience in these situations. I think he's still at risk come June 1.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
This could be HUGE. I doubt that this offseason work-out will suddenly make Bryant play like everyone expected when he was drafted at #11, but if he improves he could be provide excellent depth at both DT spots and compete with Davis for the NT position.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice job by Fox (more than we've gotten lately from the "daily publication of record").

The Bryant news is promising - I had CB and NT high up on my list of offseason concerns and, given the lack of decent nose tackles both in free agency and the draft, have felt that the key to strengthening this week position might very well center around Bryant's willingness to put his nose to the grindstone in the offseason.

Fox has our CB situation nailed. Also the situation at RB.

Nice job. Wonder who the insider was who did that reporting (Kent maybe? Wouldn't that be irony).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BACH said:
This could be HUGE. I doubt that this offseason work-out will suddenly make Bryant play like everyone expected when he was drafted at #11, but if he improves he could be provide excellent depth at both DT spots and compete with Davis for the NT position.

Is Bryant a FA or RFA after this season? If so that would probably explain his renewed interest in Football. Oh well, regardless of the motivation, getting even one solid season out of him at this stage would be far more than I ever expected and could really help the team.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Is Bryant a FA or RFA after this season? If so that would probably explain his renewed interest in Football. Oh well, regardless of the motivation, getting even one solid season out of him at this stage would be far more than I ever expected and could really help the team.
Nope. Two years left on his deal.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If Bryant is working out then Green won't hold last year against him. It shows that he is buying into Green's system which is what Denny has said that he wants.My question is, has there been a Calvin Pace sighting anywhere near the Cards facility.He was pointed out specifically by Green as someone who needed to get stronger. In fact, i can't really remember DG bashing Bryant much at all.Maybe he sees the talent but just wanted the work ethic to go with it.If Bryant did finally"get it" then i think he'd have no trouble beating out Davis although Davis playedd awfully well throughout the year.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If Green

was going to dump him, he would have been dumped. The benching, like McCowns, could have lit the fire inside of him.

OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Nice job. Wonder who the insider was who did that reporting (Kent maybe? Wouldn't that be irony).

Its Kent. I don't know why they stopped printing his names with his articles there but I do know for a fact that he does do the team reports on a freelance basis

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't want to be the guy who rains on everyone's parade here, but didn't we hear the same stuff last offseason about Wendell's re-dedication to football?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Article was writted by Bryant's agent. :D

I just don't see Bryant changing or making the team.
Hope I am wrong.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
but didn't we hear the same stuff last offseason about Wendell's re-dedication to football?

Nope

He was in Madison, Wis., on June 27 getting arrested for drunk driving.

Missed some mini camps:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27743&highlight=Bryant

And wasnt in for offseason workout program becuase he was up in Wisconsin finishing school or something like that. He said he was working out with his old college team.

Being at the training facility 2 weeks before the offseason workouts even begun is a complete 180.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
A first-round pick three years ago, he played in only three games last year, and he's started just a total of nine games.

Memo to LVCARDFREAK: Still want to tell me that Wendell Bryant has been given "just as much much chance to succeed" as Calvin Pace?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
This is a great article. With Bryant's frame and the type of D we run (specifically the tackles) then he could start at the other tackle or rotate to end on third downs and have Russell Davis play on running downs. Our D-Line is so deep, Berry, Okeafor, Pace, Dockett, Zellner, King, Bryant (if he decides to try), Davis, and Antonio Smith. Bryant obviously had potential as a top-15 pick and he needs to step up and prove to us that he was the right pick. I'm not on his bandwagon, I am just stating my opinion.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I'm really interested in seeing how Wakefield can do on the O-line.....if successful, he adds much needed depth.

Our TE are pretty bad, so any blocking from them is a bonus for Warner.

Bryant and Pace are 2 that really need to prove themselves this year, because they can easily be replaced in free agency and drafts.

Cornerback is my concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard