Former UALR coach to UNLV

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good hire for UNLV, IMHO

the bad part is he's got almost no players left. Virtually that entire roster is transferring or in Zimmerman's case going pro. It's almost unprecedented.

Cornish is now going to Cal, and Ben Carter will be a grad transfer since he started at Oregon and then UNLV.

They lost Zimmerman to the NBA. Seagears was a senior. Derrick Jones is transferring although he was ineligible. Morgan is transferring, Obekpa was a senior, Nwamu a senior and McCaw is going pro.

If my quick count is right that's NINE guys lost in one offseason?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting nuts now. He had to wait 11 days while the UNLV Regents ratified his contract. Lost a bunch of kids during that time. Now that Tubby Smith took a new job, the Texas Tech job is open and Beard is the leading candidate and has already met with them. UNLV is trying to convince him to stay but it appears like if Tech offers the job, he'll take it.

UNLV has 4 scholarship players right now. there are a bunch of issues but one of the big ones is rumors that they're in the early stages of an NCAA inquiry that will ultimately lead to an investigation.

OP
OP
DWKB

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting nuts now. He had to wait 11 days while the UNLV Regents ratified his contract. Lost a bunch of kids during that time. Now that Tubby Smith took a new job, the Texas Tech job is open and Beard is the leading candidate and has already met with them. UNLV is trying to convince him to stay but it appears like if Tech offers the job, he'll take it.

UNLV has 4 scholarship players right now. there are a bunch of issues but one of the big ones is rumors that they're in the early stages of an NCAA inquiry that will ultimately lead to an investigation.

Might be a shorter coaching gig than Dana Altman at Arkansas. Not really, nothing can beat that.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
Since I live here now and my wife goes to UNLV, I am pretty pissed that UNLV got screwed on this but they are going to be down atleast for a couple of years unless they pull a magic name out of the hat.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Beard took the Texas Tech job and the rumor is UNLV will hire Ryan Miller. Miller was an assistant to Dave Rice, was fired when Beard took the job, but will come back in the hopes he can retain recruits and convince some of the transfers not to leave.

The UNLV AD apparently is now on thin ice. Beards buyout is 1 million but again there are some rumors he will refuse to pay it claiming UNLV withheld material information (possible NCAA inquiry) that would have led him to turn the job down had they told him the truth.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Marvin Menzies is the new UNLV men's basketball coach....still has to be approved by the board of regents, but yeah its pretty much a done deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvin Menzies is the new UNLV men's basketball coach....still has to be approved by the board of regents, but yeah its pretty much a done deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting hire there were rumors they were going to hire Ryan Miller to retain their recruiting class.

There was even talk that if they hired Miller, Rawle Alkins would renege on his verbal to Arizona and commit to UNLV, Alkins is apparently the only UA commit who hasn't signed his NLI. But they're now reporting they expect Alkins to sign with Arizona any day now.