Forget about the First round pick

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Of last years All-Rookie team only 6 out of 22 were first rd picks. We have all been concentrating on who we should pick at #6; but, in the long run, Coach Mac's success in rds 2 - 7 will ultimately make the difference. Our goal is long term. That goal is the Super Bowl. Need or not, if we do well in the later rounds of the draft, it will get us closer to the Super Bowl. Forget about Leftwich, Suggs, and whomever. We have to do well, in a big way, after rd #1.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Art, you're right but you're wrong.

Rod Graves has stated several times that the Cards need to do a better job at the very top of the draft.

Last year's best pick was clearly McAddley and he was a 5th rounder (if I recall correctly). The year before, the case could be made that Adrian Wilson was our best pick and he was a 4th rounder.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion

Rod Graves has stated several times that the Cards need to do a better job at the very top of the draft.

Last year's best pick was clearly McAddley and he was a 5th rounder (if I recall correctly). The year before, the case could be made that Adrian Wilson was our best pick and he was a 4th rounder.

I have to agree, we have had afew good late picks, and it seems alot of our first day picks fail...

But there is no doubt, every pick is important to our team...

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry to nitpick, but I think AW was a 3rd. :)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by jw7
Sorry to nitpick, but I think AW was a 3rd. :)

hmmm wasnt he taken when we had two third round picks?

I can remekmber if it was #3 Stone, #3 Wilson

Or

#3 Stone, #3 Johnson

or I could be way off :thumbup:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Art - Great timing on this subject. Read this article about how little impact NFL draft picks had last year:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6301644
<p>Very interesting, but my question is: How are those averages affected by coaches who won't start rookies, but would rather rely on their proven veterans, even if the rookies might do a better job? Like the Cards starting Jake in all 16 games last year instead of getting McCown in there to check out his progress. Or all the starts TJ got when he wasn't being very effective? I'm sure other teams follow this formula also.<p>Do these kinds of things skew those results?