Fix the D in Free Agency

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you happen to watch any of the games this year?

The O Line didn't suck, and our offense was very productive most every week. Murray rarely got sacked, we could run a little with a motivated back.
The centers didn't get a whole lot of push, but pass blocked alright. The guard rotation did well, DJ played all year, and our backup RT's played surprisingly not sucky.
I don’t think he has. ARZCardinals has said on many occasions (lol) that he wouldn’t be spending anymore money on the Cardinals, unless they start winning.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I think there’s a real chance Chris Jones makes it to free agency with a $40 mil/year contract looming for Mahomes

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What I would do is target, good cheaper young veterans.

Vernon Butler and Jordan Jenkins.

Neither should get exorbitant contracts and fill huge needs.

Add both and the Cardinals front seven becomes pretty good.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IF Chris Jones becomes available, I will be disppointed if we don't at least put ourselves in the running. He is a true force on the D-Line, and would give us something we don't have....consistent pressure up the middle.

It might have to be Jones and then a bunch of low-level vets, but I think he makes a massive upgrade on our defense.

Roll with Jones, Peters, Allen on the D-Line with maybe Kerr, Ballard, and someone like Andrew Billings as our rotational guys. Draft a D-Lineman in the first 3-4 rounds and we have a solid core.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup and I believe had Carolina not snagged Butler a pick or two ahead of us that year, we would be signing him to a 2nd contract instead of having to cut useless, lazy Rob Nkem.

I am sorry to make you feel worse, Lager, but Butler was on the board when the Cards took Nkemdiche. Carolina drafted Butler one spot after. :)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
IF Chris Jones becomes available,

the Chiefs could cut Sammy Watkins and save $14mm next year, cut Alex Okafor and save $3mm

that + $20mm in cap space to start suggests that they can do Jones and Mahomes next year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My thoughts are that the Cardinals dont need one or two improvements on defense and they need to add 3-4 good players.
We need at least even 3-4 players that are starting quality, forget "good."

You've already seen me post this, I don't think you're ignorant of it. We have no starters and barely any backups at OLB, ILB, or both DE spots. I'll take almost whoever has experience on a 3-4 line.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We need at least even 3-4 players that are starting quality, forget "good."

You've already seen me post this, I don't think you're ignorant of it. We have no starters and barely any backups at OLB, ILB, or both DE spots. I'll take almost whoever has experience on a 3-4 line.

I think "good" in football parlance means starter.

You are overthinking this.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Signing Brockers or Armstead would make a division rival a little bit worse. As others mentioned Armstead is a solid player but only a minor cog in the Niners front.

Brockers is so up and down but FA is about taking chances. The Rams can’t afford him (if they want him back in the first place).

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Clowny is not coming here.

GREEN BAY, Wisc. -- Jadeveon Clowney said his priority in free agency will be to play for a contender.

"I just want to win," the defensive end said after the Seattle Seahawks' season came to an end with a 28-23 loss to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday at Lambeau Field. "I'm trying to get to the Super Bowl by any means. That's what I'm looking for: Who's going to get me there? I ain't looking to get on no sorry team for no money. That ain't going to fly. I ain't gonna put my body through all of that just to lose no 16 games, go home with my check. I'd hate that, so that ain't what I'm doing. So if I can't win no Super Bowl, I ain't going to no team that can't win."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...e-agent-jadeveon-clowney-wants-play-contender

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gambo mentioned Armstead is another DL target.
For anyone that didn't hear he had a list of potential DL targets including Armstead. Also on the list, that I recall, Brokers, Griffen, Wolfe, Quinn, Ogbah (KC), Adam Gotsis (DEN). Talked up Wolfe and Gotsis a lot, said Brokers, Griffen, Quinn and Armstead would probably be too expensive.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The 49ers have a stacked front 7 and Armstead has only really come on this year (elite) in a contract year.

That is concerning.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We need more than one dude on defense...I don't know that there is an option I like at ILB. I either don't love the money or I don't love the draft capital it will take to acquire the player.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Redskins switching back to 4-3. With Montez Sweat and potentially Chase Young...do they trade Ryan Kerrigan?

11.5m for 2020...that would be a hell of a way to fix the D.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Redskins switching back to 4-3. With Montez Sweat and potentially Chase Young...do they trade Ryan Kerrigan?

11.5m for 2020...that would be a hell of a way to fix the D.

You must be registered for see images attach
These are situations to pillage rosters. Coaching/scheme changes.

Matt Ionanidis is also a player I would target. I think he could be available because he is similar in size and skill-set to Jonathan Allen.

Kerrigan might get cut. 11.5 mil with no dead money owed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose