Explorers

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I just watched it. I’m surprised that I didn’t see this when I was a kid, I’m sure that I would have liked it much better now if I had. I spotted several actors that I hadn’t seen in a while. Most notable was Amanda Peterson, from Can’t Buy Me Love. I also spotted one of the odd cousins from Vacation.

Per Amazon:
Plot Summary

Genres: Family, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Adventure
Tagline: The adventure begins in your own back yard
Plot Synopsis: Ben Crandall, an alien-obsessed kid, dreams one night of a circuit board. Drawing out the circuit, he and his friends Wolfgang and Darren set it up, and discover they have been given the basis for a starship. Setting off in the ThunderRoad, as they name their ship, they find the aliens Ben hopes they would find... but are they what they seem?
Plot Keywords: Helicopter | Alien Contact | Alien | Computer Cracker | Invention | Kids And Family | Space | Human Taken To Alien Planet | Child Flying Spacecraft | Bullying | Bully | Schoolyard Fight
› Show all 14 plot keywords recommended by customers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Details

Actors: Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix, Bobby Fite, Bradley Gregg, Georg Olden, See more
Directors: Joe Dante
Format: Color, Widescreen, NTSC
Language: English
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Number of discs: 1
Rating
Studio: Paramount
DVD Release Date: October 19, 2004
Run Time: 106 minutes
average customer review: based on 39 reviews. (Write a review.)
DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
Two additional scenes
From IMDb: Quotes & Trivia
ASIN: B0002V7O3I
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #4,388 in DVD (See Top Sellers in DVD)
For more information about "Explorers" visit the Internet Movie Database (IMDb)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theatrical Release Information

US Theatrical Release Date: July 12, 1985
MPAA: for some mild language and action, and a brief scene involving beer. (special home entertainment version)
Production Company: Paramount Pictures
Filming Locations: Petaluma, California, USA

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
It's only in retrospect that one can see that Joe Dante's Explorers is an awful lot like Robert Zemeckis's Contact. An alien race, determined to make contact with earthlings, feeds some unsuspecting individuals the blueprints for space travel. Instead of the big gyroscope that Jodie Foster was strapped into in Contact, the three kids in Explorers make their intergalactic trip in crystalline blue Flubber. River Phoenix looks shockingly prepubescent (which he was) as Wolfgang, the brains of the trio, while Ethan Hawke looks like a young lady-killer as Ben. Fitting into the "whatever happened to?" category is Jason Presson as Darren, an outcast who joins the two eggheads. Joe Dante's career, cruising after Gremlins was a smash, faced a serious "hitch in the giddyup" when this film sputtered through the 1985 summer season without much of an impact. The effects still hold up nicely, as does Dante's incessant need to pay homage to other, older sci-fi films. The whole thing seems like a lot of trouble for some smackingly bland and silly results, but it's a harmless, initially involving diversion. --Keith Simanton

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard