ESPN reporting Greinke is a Diamondback

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jesus Christ! He doesn't rely on velocity so it's not like he'll fall off a cliff halfway thru the deal either. POWER SHIFT.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought for sure that this team would swing at cueto and no one else. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got interested for the first time
since 2007!

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does this mean that Collmenter won't be the opening day starter next year? ;)

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Does this mean that Collmenter won't be the opening day starter next year? ;)

Really, why go after Josh? He was our best pitcher the year before and TLR rewarded him for that. That is why Bradley stayed up instead of being sent down to save $. Very cheap shot against Josh who just did what he could to help the team. Let's move on.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shocking move to say the least. If they were willing to break the bank I wonder why they didn't push harder for Price who's 3 years younger and a LHP.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap! Grienke was not even remotely on my radar as a possibility for the Dbacks to sign. I think this is the most surprising, and one of the most exciting, free agent pickups this team has ever pulled off. For sure!

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Really, why go after Josh? He was our best pitcher the year before and TLR rewarded him for that. That is why Bradley stayed up instead of being sent down to save $. Very cheap shot against Josh who just did what he could to help the team. Let's move on.

I like Josh. I wasn't going after Josh. Even Josh would admit that he is not a staff ace/opening day starter type. I was more speaking to the lack of a true number 1 last year more than anything.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
They have an extra $30-$50 million to spent a year with the new TV deal and said they would spend it.

So it looks like they're going to blow the entire wad on one guy.

IMO, $34.4M/year is way too much for Greinke, when he will turn 33 before the next season is over. He's past his prime already and is only going to start trending downward. He'll never have a year like he had last year, playing in a pitcher's park. Now he's going to be in a hitter's paradise. I think the D-Backs are going to regret paying a 37 or 38 year old that kind of money when he is at the end of this deal.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shocking move to say the least. If they were willing to break the bank I wonder why they didn't push harder for Price who's 3 years younger and a LHP.
I think Grienke is more durable plus you screw two division teams. SF was interested too.

Holy Crap! Grienke was not even remotely on my radar as a possibility for the Dbacks to sign. I think this is the most surprising, and one of the most exciting, free agent pickups this team has ever pulled off. For sure!
Biggest since RJ maybe?

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Amazing.

While each person is different, do we forget Randy Johnson was 38 when we won the World Series?

I also think we do more. We had salary rolling off as well. So some of that much bigger pie is probably still available. They now have a huge recruiting tool for others to join in the party.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I just got interested for the first time
since 2007!

me too. This team had lulled me and the entire state to sleep with mediocrity over the last 5+ years. I can't believe I get to look forward to baseball again.

HooverDam

Reaction score

IMO, $34.4M/year is way too much for Greinke, when he will turn 33 before the next season is over. He's past his prime already and is only going to start trending downward. He'll never have a year like he had last year, playing in a pitcher's park. Now he's going to be in a hitter's paradise. I think the D-Backs are going to regret paying a 37 or 38 year old that kind of money when he is at the end of this deal.

Who knows how it'll turn out, but a LOT of those same things were said when the signed Randy Johnson too.

I think Grienke is more durable plus you screw two division teams. SF was interested too.

Biggest since RJ maybe?

Unquestionably. Remember Schilling was a trade. They made a big deal about Richie Sexson when he signed, but that whole thing was a bust.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

You never know. Randy Johnson had 64 wins at the age of 30 and 239 wins AFTER that...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

I didn't take it as a shot at Colmenter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson