ESPN - Kevin Garnett up for trade?/Early trade buzz

sunsfn

Reaction score
Pistons, Knicks shopping for KG?
posted: Monday, November 21, 2005

Get ready for the Kevin Garnett trade rumors, the first of which was quickly shot down Sunday by Kevin McHale and Joe Dumars -- even as others maintained it was legit.

Both team executives denied there was any truth to talk that made its way around the league over the weekend that the Detroit Pistons were willing to ship a package including Rasheed Wallace and Darko Milicic to Minnesota for Garnett.

The future of the 29-year-old eight-time All-Star came into question after Garnett's much-discussed interview Thursday night on TNT. Garnett criticized McHale for his handling of the Timberwolves during the troubled 2004-05 season in which Flip Saunders was fired and McHale took over as head coach.

Dumars insisted he had not been in contact with the Wolves regarding Garnett, and McHale also dismissed the rumor, which came as executives from others teams were trying to gauge whether the Timberwolves would seriously consider dealing the franchise player who has been with Minnesota throughout his entire 10-year NBA career. Team owner Glen Taylor told reporters in Minnesota that Garnett has "never, ever" sought a trade.

"We're not trading Garnett," McHale said Sunday night.

The prevailing opinion around the league is that Minnesota, barring a sustained nosedive prior to the All-Star break, would not consider trading Garnett before next summer. With a record of 5-4 following their victory over Charlotte on Saturday night, the Wolves are in first place in the Northwest Division.

Garnett is under contract for $18 million this season, then will make $21, $22 and $23 million over the next three years. With Wally Szczerbiak under contract for an equal number of years ($10 million this season, $11, $12 and $13 million the next three), the Timberwolves would have very little salary cap flexibility for the next half-decade unless they jettisoned their two highest-paid players. Minnesota already has a forward, Mark Madsen, and three guards, Marko Jaric, Troy Hudson and Trenton Hassell, signed at least through the 2009-10 season.

One source told ESPN.com that the New York Knicks had made Minnesota an offer that included the expiring contracts of Penny Hardaway ($15.7 million) and Antonio Davis ($13.9 million). But for such a trade to work under salary cap rules, the Knicks would also have to take back Sczcerbiak. While that deal would be stunningly lopsided talent- wise, it would relieve the Wolves of $102 million in salary obligations over the next three seasons, allowing them to enter the 2006 offseason with approximately $25 million of cap space.

One source close to several NBA players insisted that the viability of the Knicks' offer should not be dismissed, going so far as to say Garnett was making a private push through back channels to be dealt to New York and reunite with former teammate Stephon Marbury.

"I'd bet money he'll be wearing a Knicks uniform by the end of February," the source said.

Another source insisted Detroit's offer of Wallace and Milicic was real, adding that the offer was made through another Pistons official so that Dumars could maintain deniability in case the players came to him for an explanation.

The Nets have also been mentioned as a possible trade partner in a Garnett deal, but it is believed the Wolves would consider a deal with New Jersey only if they could get back Richard Jefferson, whose status as a base-year compensation player under salary cap rules makes him exceedingly difficult to deal. The best offer the Nets could make this season would include Vince Carter, another player (Nenad Krstic?, Mile Ilic?) and a pair of No. 1 picks (their own and the Clippers').

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Early trade buzz
posted: Monday, November 21, 2005

Trade activity typically subsides during the first month of the NBA season, and this year has been no different. Only five trades have taken place since training camps opened, and none since the start of the regular season three weeks ago.

But teams are still talking, and the pace of dealmaking should pick up after Dec. 15, when players who signed over the summer become trade eligible.

Since the teams are talking to each other, we're talking to them as well to find out who's available and who will be.

Here's the Top 5 on our Most Likely to be Traded List, aside from Kevin Garnett.

# P.J. Brown, New Orleans Hornets. With the team temporarily located a long way from his hometown of Slidell, La., the main factor that kept P.J. married to the Hornets is a nonfactor now.

The 36-year-old would be happy with a trade to a contender, and his $8 million salary this season and next has made him the most sought-after big man on the trade market (other than Garnett). Coach Byron Scott wants to keep Brown, but owner George Shinn is rebuilding.

Other teams expect the Hornets to wait 20-25 games before becoming active on a Brown trade.

# Zoran Planinic, Nets. Looks as though New Jersey has been showcasing third-year 6-7 Croatian point guard caught in a crowded backcourt numbers crunch along with fellow reserves Jeff McInnis, Lamond Murray and Jacque Vaughn on a team desperate for size.

He's signed through next season, and he's shown flashes. Detractors point out he loves the nightlife, he loves to boogie -- too much, maybe.

# The Portland Trail Blazers entry: Zach Randolph/Darius Miles. The relationship is already rocky between new coach Nate McMillan and the two young multimillionaires, and the Blazers might be seriously rethinking their earlier decision to commit a combined $134 million to the two athletically gifted but averse-to-authority forwards.

Randolph's skill level gives him huge trade value, but there aren't many players signed through 2010-11, and he's one of 'em.

# The Cleveland Cavaliers entry: Luke Jackson/Sasha Pavlovic/Eric Snow. There isn't enough room in a tight Cavs rotation for the two backups, Jackson and Pavlovic, and both have been showcased by a team that has stormed out of the gate.

If the Cavs want to keep both youngsters, they can deal starter Eric Snow to New York for Malik Rose and make Damon Jones their starter. Rose and Snow are both under contract through '08-09. Knicks coach Larry Brown loves Snow, and Cavs general manager Danny Ferry is a fan of Rose, his former teammate, so it seems to make sense for both teams.

# Luol Deng, Chicago Bulls. There's no question the Bulls love him, but they're also desperate for size if they want to make a serious run this season. As of now, they'll have more cap room than anyone next summer, but the best available free agent big man might be Nazr Mohammed (depending on what happens with Ben Wallace).

If they move Deng, they'll get value -- and perhaps a better big man than what'll be available next summer. There won't be any room for Deng next season if Peja Stojakovic and Andres Nocioni are the small forwards.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
The one trade discussed about the expiring contracts of Penny and Davis is interesting. Even though you would have lots of money to work with, why would you trade for two players that won't really play at all? I'm guessing the T-Wolves will want talent for KG, not cap room, if they trade him.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
boisesuns said:
The one trade discussed about the expiring contracts of Penny and Davis is interesting. Even though you would have lots of money to work with, why would you trade for two players that won't really play at all? I'm guessing the T-Wolves will want talent for KG, not cap room, if they trade him.

Suns pretty much traded Marbury for cap space, so I don't see it as that far fetched

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Suns pretty much traded Marbury for cap space, so I don't see it as that far fetched

True, but there are three differences:

1. Marbury was regarded by most teams as a bad contract. Garnett's contract is huge, but he is a perennial MVP candidate. Any team wanting to become an instant contender will be happy to pay the bill if they can figure out a way to make it work. That wasn't true with Marbury.

2. The Suns, in the same deal, also moved out Hardaway's horrible contract. Even if the Wolves dump Szczerbiak at the same time as Garnett, there's no comparison. Szczerbiak is overpaid, but at least he can actually play. Hardaway is a worthless cancer who best serves his team by being as far away from it as possible.

3. The Suns were awful when they traded Marbury. Minnesota doesn't need a lot of tinkering to become a solid playoff team again.

If the Wolves trade Garnett, I agree with boise that they'll very likely get talent in return.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:

KG is much more valuable than Marbury.

Edit: plus I forgot dumping of Penny too.

King A

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Minnesota doesn't need a lot of tinkering to become a solid playoff team again.

without garnett and wally the wolves would be real awful, i mean, REAL awful

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Those lost draft picks just killed their franchise. I'm surprised that McHale still has a job.

fordronken

Reaction score
Marion, Jackson, Jones and the Atlanta picks work under the cap. That's a move I'd be pretty okay with.

The problem with Garnett's contract is it makes it really difficult to get much better. He's good enough so that the team won't ever get any good draft picks, and his contract is too big to get any free agents(especially when you look at Sczerbiak's).

fordronken

Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:

Phoenix is also a free ageny destination. Minnesota isn't-- especially with KG gone. Who would they go after? Ben Wallace? Al Harrington?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I'd consider moving out Garnett and Szczerbiak to be something beyond "minor tinkering." I'm not sure what your point is.

cly2tw

Reaction score
They'd ask for Marion, Diaw, LB and picks at the very least. Given the promise of Diaw and LB, I'm not sure I'd want to do it, since both would be perfect running mates to Amare. Diaw has a chance to grow into a slightly less-athletic but even better-passing version of Pippen once he learns to finish better around the basket and get a decent jumper. LB with a little better body control that will serve him on both sides of the court well can be the poor man's combination of Iverson and Wade. Since neither has the star allure and mentality, they won't cost us superstar money to stay.

Anyway, Diaw and Marion are kind of redundant for this team. Once Amare is back with Thomas starting at C, we can't have too many players with significant minutes that can't shoot from the perimeter to spread the floor. So, how about Marion for Pierce down the stretch now. ;)

HooverDam

Reaction score
cly2tw said:
So, how about Marion for Pierce down the stretch now. ;)

Ug, why do I hear this suggestion all the time? Ill take Marion over Pierce any day, when Amare gets back, we'll have tons of scoring options, we dont need pierce. Marion fits this team (especially when Amares in the lineup), he gets clean up points, can defend 4 positions, plays hard as hell all the time....he gets absolutely no respect. I hope he retires a Sun, with a championship and eventually goes to the Ring of Honor.

Sorry for the derail

King A

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:

I'd consider moving out Garnett and Szczerbiak to be something beyond "minor tinkering." I'm not sure what your point is.

Ok i apologize. i didn't read your first post carefully enough

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would think Minny would be interested in the Phoenix offer. They have been "pick starved" for years now.

However, I would change our offer-- Marion, KT, and two firsts (our own, not the Atlanta picks). They would probably want Jones, but we can't trade him right now anyway. Besides, it won't be long before KG is making 24 million a year. That's half of the cap. No matter how good he is, there are alot of teams that are going to balk at those #'s.

Imagine having that much invested in one player. If he blows out a knee or breaks a pinky, you're sunk. You have no flexibility to do anything else.

A front line going forward of Amare, KG, and Diaw has alot going for it. Size, power, shooting, rebounding, passing, and (aside from Amare) defense. The skill sets are also varied enough that it could work together.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Ug, why do I hear this suggestion all the time? Ill take Marion over Pierce any day, when Amare gets back, we'll have tons of scoring options, we dont need pierce. Marion fits this team (especially when Amares in the lineup), he gets clean up points, can defend 4 positions, plays hard as hell all the time....he gets absolutely no respect. I hope he retires a Sun, with a championship and eventually goes to the Ring of Honor.

Sorry for the derail

I totally agree. Marion is a better fir who does have to have playscalled for him to be effective. He is one of the best defenders and rebounders in the league and compliments Stoudamire perfectly. I am against a KG swap because he would cost us some good young players and put a lock on our salary cap situation for the next four years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison