Eoin Morgan: Alex Hales could be reintegrated for England this summer

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eoin Morgan has suggested for the first time that he is ready to reintegrate Alex Hales into England's limited-overs squad this summer. Hales was dropped on the brink of the 2019 World Cup after failing a drugs test - his second such violation - and has not played for England since. Morgan had previously said that Hales needed to regain “trust” before being considered for a recall but has now suggested that he could return to the group for the one-day and T20 series against Sri Lanka and Pakistan this summer . “There is a chance that he might be around the group,” Morgan told The Times. National selector Ed Smith has previously said that Hales could be invited to training this summer, but Morgan's public softening of his tone is arguably more significant, given he was the one who had most vehemently insisted on Hales' exclusion. Morgan revealed that Hales had first tried to reach out to him last March. “He texted me the day we went into lockdown,” he said. “I haven’t spoken to him. My view on that has always been that the trust that Alex has lost will take time to rebuild and one of the issues we have had around having players who would either be trying to get into the side or wanting to come in and us have a look at them in and around training, hasn’t been possible around Covid. “Trying to integrate players in that sense hasn’t been possible during this period. It’s looking like by the time we get home for the international summer the restrictions might be eased so that for the process of getting guys in and around the squad, there could be an opportunity to do that.” Hales scored 543 runs at an average of 38.8 and an impressive strike rate of 162 during the Big Bash, adding to his claims to being in England’s best T20 squad if it was selected on cricketing grounds alone. He also has a fine T20 international record, averaging 31 with a strike rate of 137. Aged 32, he should be in his prime ahead of two T20 World Cups in the next two years - this year’s competition in India and next year’s tournament in Australia. Hales, who was also banned for six matches and fined £17,500 for his part in the 2017 Bristol nightclub fracas alongside Ben Stokes, recently said that his omission for the World Cup was “sickening” but said that he still hoped to represent England again. "I'm obviously desperate to get back into the England team," Hales said. "The pinnacle of cricket is still international cricket, so I'd love to be able to force my way back into that limited-overs side somehow. "I still feel like I'm sharp, and fit. I still feel like I can challenge the best bowlers in the world, so I definitely feel like I'm good enough to still be playing, and hopefully I can get another crack." Meanwhile, England all-rounder Sam Curran has defended the importance of the Indian Premier League, saying that participation in the tournament is vital for English cricketers to develop their skills in the limited-overs game. Curran has played in two previous IPL seasons, and was a crucial player for Chennai Super Kings last season. He will play for Chennai again in the 2019 IPL, which commences shortly after the end of England’s limited-overs tour to India, which comprises five Twenty20s, beginning on Friday, and three one-day internationals. “I definitely felt I came back a much better player from the IPL last year," Curran said. "I did various roles and got challenged in different ways, which I really enjoyed. I think it's benefitted my game. “It's great to playing in it, especially with that T20 World Cup in India. It's going to be great preparation and great for us to keep developing in these conditions. I'm really looking forward to it.” Sourav Ganguly, the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, said that the Ageas Bowl will host the first World Test Championship final, which will be played between India and New Zealand from June 18. The ICC board has yet to ratify a decision, but the Ageas Bowl’s hotel on site makes it well-suited to host a game in biosecure conditions. The ICC has also announced a small expansion in the number of teams in one-day and Twenty20 editions of the women’s World Cup. The T20 World Cup will increase from 10 to 12 teams from 2026, while the 50-over tournament will increase from eight teams to 10 from 2029. Two six-team women’s T20 Champions Cups will also be held in 2027 and 2031.

Continue reading...