Elton Brand and Baron Davis opt out

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
Elton Brand said on Monday that he is opting out of the final year of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, but that he hopes to re-sign with the team.
"We're opting out," Brand said. "It definitely doesn't mean I'm leaving the Clippers. We're trying to work it out. My intention is to stay."

You must be registered for see images attach
Brand

Brand is forgoing the $16.4 million on the last year of his deal, a final decision he made at Monday's deadline to notify the team and the league. Earlier in the day, teammate Corey Maggette filed the paperwork to opt out of his contract, the Los Angeles Times reported, creating potentially $10 million of salary cap space if the Clippers do not re-sign him.
Brand's agent, David Falk, said the forward wants to see the Clippers sign a quality free agent and try to assemble a winning team in Los Angeles.
"It preserves options to make the team better," Falk said. "Clearly, if Elton decided he wanted to simply max out the dollars, he would have stayed in the deal, had a monster year and a lot more teams will have cap room next year."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468389

Another big name hit the free-agent market on Monday.

You must be registered for see images attach
Davis

Golden State Warriors' guard Baron Davis decided to opt out of the final year of his contract, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.
He leaves $17.8 million on the table. Players had until 12:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday to exercise the option in their contracts to opt out.
Davis averaged 21.8 points, 4.7 rebounds and 7.6 assists last season for a Golden State team that went 48-34 but didn't make the playoffs. The two-time All-Star played in all 82 games last season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468448

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Both these guys will be looking for long term security over fat paydays, although I dont see how either is obtainable with how many teams are already strapped for cashito.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Let's be clear, nobody is going to sign these guys other than their own teams. Sign and trade is feasible, but straight free agency deals are limited to a couple teams like the Sixers.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Let's be clear, nobody is going to sign these guys other than their own teams. Sign and trade is feasible, but straight free agency deals are limited to a couple teams like the Sixers.
...Memphis...and Clippers. :D

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
So.........

We use the midlevel to sign them both, I move to Phoenix, grab a few years worth of season tickets and bask in the glory of 3-6 straight championships

I like it.

Dreaming that is.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Would you give up Barbosa and Diaw for a resigned Davis?

for what? so we could have to premiere passing point guards? that's the key to any championship team, as we all know.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The scary thing about such a deal is that Baron has been injury prone. This is on the high side of risk - reward. If it works, you get a championship. If he turns into another Penny, you lose a half a decade.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a simple freakin' question. Not a request, nor a suggestion. Nothing implied. Don't get your panties in a bunch ladies. Nevermind.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Baron Davis's new contract, at least the one he is looking for, will pay him three times what Barbosa is making a deal with those two would be impossible anyways. I think Baron Davis is a great player... when he is healthy. I don't want the Phoenix Suns EVER paying big money or trading for players with serious injury histories again. I know some of you are immediately wondering how I could have coerced the Shaquille O'Neal trade with this philosophy. It's easy. Shaquille O'Neal has a history of coming into the season out of shape and slowly working his way into shape. That's significantly different.

I mean I guess our training staff''s reputation would make me feel a little bit better if the Phoenix Suns took on a big-money player with the history of injuries. I would hope they would not sign off on a player unless they were very confident in their ability to keep him healthy.

Joe

OP
OP
Bayless2Budinger

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
Since Baron Davis's new contract, at least the one he is looking for, will pay him three times what Barbosa is making a deal with those two would be impossible anyways. I think Baron Davis is a great player... when he is healthy. I don't want the Phoenix Suns EVER paying big money or trading for players with serious injury histories again. I know some of you are immediately wondering how I could have coerced the Shaquille O'Neal trade with this philosophy. It's easy. Shaquille O'Neal has a history of coming into the season out of shape and slowly working his way into shape. That's significantly different.

I mean I guess our training staff''s reputation would make me feel a little bit better if the Phoenix Suns took on a big-money player with the history of injuries. I would hope they would not sign off on a player unless they were very confident in their ability to keep him healthy.

Joe

So I guess you dont want to re-sign Amare when he becomes due for a new contract?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess you dont want to re-sign Amare when he becomes due for a new contract?

I guess I would argue that you can know Amare Stoudemire has had a serious surgery and missed an entire year that he doesn't have a history of mixing he a lot of games. I'm thinking more of players like Davis, like Jermaine O'Neal, like Larry Hughes who seem to miss significant numbers of games every season or every other season.

I know this is considered blasphemy on this message board, but depending on what this team looks like and what he looks like in two years I would not be against exploring trades/sign and trades involving Amare Stoudemire.

Joe Mama

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tim Kawakami had an interesting article today he basically said don't overlook the possibility that Davis might have a secret under the table deal with the clips. He said if you see Brand signing below market for say 12 million you'll know something is up where the Clips had a deal in place you sign below give us the caproom and we'll get Baron.

He's just guessing he's not saying such a deal exists but it is certainly a possibility because it's quite apparent Baron lied to the Warriors he was telling them he was staying right up until he opted out, it's quite clear the Warriors were caught off guard to see his name on th elist. they're not horrified mind you some felt it was the best thing for the team long term, but they were not expecting it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Screw the luxury tax and salary cap! Sign both these guys Suns, eat the millions, and win a World Championship! :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Tim Kawakami had an interesting article today he basically said don't overlook the possibility that Davis might have a secret under the table deal with the clips. He said if you see Brand signing below market for say 12 million you'll know something is up where the Clips had a deal in place you sign below give us the caproom and we'll get Baron.

He's just guessing he's not saying such a deal exists but it is certainly a possibility because it's quite apparent Baron lied to the Warriors he was telling them he was staying right up until he opted out, it's quite clear the Warriors were caught off guard to see his name on th elist. they're not horrified mind you some felt it was the best thing for the team long term, but they were not expecting it.

been hearing rumblings about this in the LA area. would make the clips a dangerous starting 5.

baron
gordon/mobley
thorton/maggette (if resigned)
brand/tim thomas
kaman

that's a legit 8 deep with starter quality players.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been hearing rumblings about this in the LA area. would make the clips a dangerous starting 5.

baron
gordon/mobley
brand/tim thomas
kaman

Much as I love Baron from UCLA days I'm not entirely convinced you can win consistently in the NBA with Baron. First off he's always injured, this year was an anomaly, he's never in great shape so he gets hurt. Then his game is so hit or miss, 30+ one night, 4-19 the next. he gets assists and steals of course and when he's on he's really good but he doesn't play good fundamental defense and he's often out of control and his temper is a problem too.

The problem the W's have is I don't think Monta is ready to be the PG and with the draft over, the chance to get a PG is gone. If they knew pre draft maybe they make a deal to move up to get a PG? But they never had that chance because Baron was dishonest.

In fact ESPN is reporting that Baron admitted to Adande he's interested in the Clips although he says GSW is his first choice.

Losing him might not be a terrible thing he's 29, he's never kept himself in great shape and he's had a ton of knee problems since the ACL in college, he could be one of those guys who loses it really quickly even though right now he's a hell of a player.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Around the Horn on ESPN is talking about both of them heading to the Clips too.

While im sure Mullin will make an effort to keep him, I dont think theyll be too sad to see him leave. That will give them room to make Ellis happy and maybe sign another post player.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

baron
gordon/mobley
brand/tim thomas
kaman

How is that possible? That's 3 players who want big money, not including the rest of the roster. Sounds like daydreaming to me... with the owner they have... sounds impossible.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can sign Brand/Davis, Maggette is as good as gone.