Editing in XP recovery console

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I was looking for editing command in XP recovery console.

I remember edlin command from 2000, but I couldn't find it in XP. I looked at all commands and couldn't find anything that looks like it. Am I missing something obvious or is there no way to edit boot.ini from the XP console? :bang:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
bootcfg /list

and then

bootcfg /rebuild

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
Damn. Thanks a lot man.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been in the IT field?

8 years, right out of college

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just curious, but is this something that will fix/rebuild corrpupt system files?

I had the power go out a month ago and when the comp restarted XP had a corrupt system file. Nothing from the recovery screen would work - safe mode, last know good config, etc. It had something to do w/ the agp driver, or one of the needed agp files for startup.

i hadn't created a recovery disk ( to fix from the install cd), so i ended up putting another drive in and reinstalling XP and copying the data off the old one.

Is there a way to fix corrupt system files w/o reinstalling the OS or having the recovery disk?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BillsCarnage said:
Is there a way to fix corrupt system files w/o reinstalling the OS or having the recovery disk?

Yeah.. you can get a DOS boot disk off of the web from like www.bootdisk.com or something that can read the NTFS file system and manually copy the files that have corrupted. I rarely see them files actually corrupt that isn't directly related to a hardware error (bad sector on HD or something) but it does happen.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things I've done to avoid these kinds of problems....

1. I bought a UPS for a little less that $100 from Costco...

2. When I upgraded my hard disk, I kept my old one and use it solely and only to back up the main drive.

Haven't had a problem in a very long time.....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson