Eagles | Interested in Bills' Henry? - merged thread

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
bills_phan said:
It seems that demand has gone up recently (TB and PHI).

This 'demand' seems to be totally and utterly manafactured out of Buffalo.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
you guys wanna know why? it's b/c like a few of us have been saying from the start, obviously the league doesn't consider shelton the equivalent of a 2nd, or perhaps even a 3rd round pick. so the bills don't want just him. and denny has stated over and over again that he doesn't want to trade away any picks, so we won't offer the 3rd.

The problem with this concept is according to the draft value chart a switch of positions from 44 to 55 is 110 points, 110 points is basically the #98 pick or a 3rd round pick. So basically Buffalo wants a 3rd round pick AND SHELTON FOR NOTHING, because if you swap picks and they would trade Henry for a 3rd, then Shelton has NO VALUE according to this concept.

So this means 1 of two things, either buffalo would not take just a third rounder for Henry (the more likely scenario) regardless of the inference of the above quote, or Buffalo places no actual value on Shelton, and if so then lets just make this trade:

Buffalo trades Henry and the #55 pick
Arizona trades the #44 pick

Noone actually give up a pick so Arizona is happy, Buffalo gets for all intents and purposes a 3rd round pick based on the move up value, and we keep LJ Shelton moving Ross to gaurd and fix our o-line issue!

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Stout said:
Btw, rumor has it that Tom Donahoe has generated all the talk concerning Philly and Tampa Bay. But you know what? I'd be cool with Henry going to TB, because that would free up the chance that a young back falls to us. Good luck!
Maybe, maybe not. The fact is that both of these clubs expressed interest in Henry months ago. Then, for a while, it looked like the Shelton/Henry deal was going to go down. Now that the Arizona deal is not so certain, and with draft day approaching, is it so far of a stretch that these clubs would once again express interest in obtaining a starting-calibur RB?

TD may be working the media a bit, but that doesn't mean Arizona is the only team interested in trading for Henry.

With contract demands and age taken into account, I see no better FA running back available than Travis.

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
Redsz said:
This 'demand' seems to be totally and utterly manafactured out of Buffalo.
Again, why is it so hard to imagine other teams wanting Travis Henry?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bills_phan said:

It's not, but that article said they were concerned with his contract demands and the Cards have already made it clear they won't extend him until he proves last year wasn't a fluke. Henry has a past he has to overcome, he has to prove that giving him a nice new deal won't come back to haunt a team, that's why his trade value is lower than his perceived ability as a player.

Shelton is better than any LT Buffalo will get in round 2, but at his age with his history with injuries apparently nobody will trade a #2 for him, same basic premise, they're looking beyond 2005 season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
It's all about supply and demand...Quality RB's are more pleantiful, at this time, than quality LT's.

and if we had a "quality LT" - you'd have a point.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Oh come on. Shelton was playing at a "pro bowl level" at some point that one season......:rolleyes:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
bills_phan said:

It is not hard imagining other teams wanting Henry at all!

It is even easier imagining Henry not wanting to play as a back-up, in Buff or Philly.

What is Tampa Bay offering that is better that Shelton (straight up)? Hmmm...no mention of that.

What about Henry?? He WANTS to come to the desert and has said so. If a team is thinking about trading something for Henry, a RB in the last year of his contract, they would have to believe there is the basis for a long-term relationship. Hmmm...no mention of that, either.

I like the Cardinal position in this deal a LOT more than the Bill's.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Ummm...considering Shelton is THE only LT out there right now I would be hard pressed to say he isnt "quality". You may not believe he is worth a 2nd rounder, which I tend to agree with, but becuase of the circumstances -and the fact he is already under contract- increases his value exponentially

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Ummm...considering Shelton is THE only LT out there right now I would be hard pressed to say he isnt "quality". You may not believe he is worth a 2nd rounder, which I tend to agree with, but becuase of the circumstances -and the fact he is already under contract- increases his value exponentially

I don't get this at all - an average 2nd string O-linemen is available and for someone reason that increased his value exponentially? There's only so much value to be increased with a guy who has nagging injury problems and can't even start for the Cardinals.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I don't get this at all - an average 2nd string O-linemen is available and for someone reason that increased his value exponentially? There's only so much value to be increased with a guy who has nagging injury problems and can't even start for the Cardinals.
It's supply and demand. BTW, Henry can't start for a non-playoff team either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
It's supply and demand. BTW, Henry can't start for a non-playoff team either.

but that's because he's got a Pro-Bowl back in front of him - not the mediocrity that's in front of LJ.

As far as supply and demand - doesn't there need to be some demand on LJ? All's pretty quiet and if we could apparently just as easily "move him to Guard" and fix all of our woes, why couldn't the Bills just move Teague to LT (where he played before) and move up their back-up to C - seems they've been pretty adept at finding good enough O-linemen for the last 3 years leading to 3 straight dominant years by running backs... maybe they know what they're doing on the O-line, as opposed to what we've been doing, for oh, the last decade or so.

I just don't see the "demand" for a back-up LT coming off multiple knee surgeries the last two years - who before that, NEVER performed to the level that Henry did.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

He isnt second string. He got in Green's doghouse b/c of the weight issue. I dont value him as highly as some do on this board, but surely you dont think he is a 2nd stringer in reality?

For years he was the best olineman on this team. On more than one occassion I am sure you yourself proclaimed him as such. Just b/c Green says he came in over weight and immediatly got in his doghouse all of a sudden you dont thnk he has the skills neccessary to be a starting RT in the NFL? Thats absurd! I like Green but he is dead wrong about Shelton IMO. Why not watch how he played as opposed to just taking Greens word for it.

2nd rounder? Of course not, but he is CURRENTLY better than any second rounder your gonna get in this years draft!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
He isnt second string. He got in Green's doghouse b/c of the weight issue. I dont value him as highly as some do on this board, but surely you dont think he is a 2nd stringer in reality?

For years he was the best olineman on this team. On more than one occassion I am sure you yourself proclaimed him as such. Just b/c Green says he came in over weight and immediatly got in his doghouse all of a sudden you dont thnk he has the skills neccessary to be a starting RT in the NFL? Thats absurd! I like Green but he is dead wrong about Shelton IMO. Why not watch how he played as opposed to just taking Greens word for it.

yes - LVCARDFREAK - that is my MO - I blindly take the word of everyone in the organization on everything. I don't watch this team - I rather take Green's word for everything. Give me a freaking break.

Here's what I think: on a GOOD team - a team that SUCCESSFULLY rushes the ball and protects the QB, Shelton is a SECOND STRINGER, what's that based off of? I HAVE watched LJ - for years - I have watched him "anchor" a horrible line for YEARS - I have proclaimed him the best O-linemen on the team, but that's relative because the entire line stunk - the guy is AVERAGE at best and AVERAGE LT don't start on good football teams - period. He may be a starting O-linemen, but it won't be on any offensive line that's productive IMO.

And what's this all of a sudden stuff? First of all - NONE of us have ever seen the guy play an entire season at RT so why should I believe he'd be able to just jump to a new position and be able to play well when he was realy only average at his natural position?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GreenCard said:
Cheese , you are getting on my nerves.

eh - I get on everyone's nerves - even my own. You get used to it.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
yes - LVCARDFREAK - that is my MO - I blindly take the word of everyone in the organization on everything. I don't watch this team - I rather take Green's word for everything. Give me a freaking break.

Here's what I think: on a GOOD team - a team that SUCCESSFULLY rushes the ball and protects the QB, Shelton is a SECOND STRINGER, what's that based off of? I HAVE watched LJ - for years - I have watched him "anchor" a horrible line for YEARS - I have proclaimed him the best O-linemen on the team, but that's relative because the entire line stunk - the guy is AVERAGE at best and AVERAGE LT don't start on good football teams - period. He may be a starting O-linemen, but it won't be on any offensive line that's productive IMO.

And what's this all of a sudden stuff? First of all - NONE of us have ever seen the guy play an entire season at RT so why should I believe he'd be able to just jump to a new position and be able to play well when he was realy only average at his natural position?

He is IMO an above average lineman who, when given the chance to play, played better imo, than Clement and Davis for that matter (Who constantly either jumps off sides or gets beaten badly by speed rushers). Do I think he is a Grade A tackle? of course not, and with his injury history there is certainly some risk there, but he has the talent to start on many offensive lines -including Buffalo's- in this league.

As far as a new position, well 1. he played it some last year and played better than Clement or any other person imo, on the line, and 2.and you should know this, the LT position is the anchor position, and the most physically difficult position on the line to play. A transition from LT to RT is very common for older tackles who have lost a step. The reason being that it isnt as physically-or mentally- demanding a positon for them to pay. So yes, I would say if you personally call him an "average" LT than he would be an above average RT for the above mentioned reasons.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
GreenCard said:
Phone rings-- It's the Bills again,who's turn to talk to them?TD is driving every team nuts.Everyone hates to answer the phone--Hey,Tom here,ready to trade Travis.

wow what an intelligent comment. Because, really, you would know! Too bad the guys over at One Bills Drive are some of the most respected coaches and managers in the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
wow what an intelligent comment. Because, really, you would know! Too bad the guys over at One Bills Drive are some of the most respected coaches and managers in the league.

give it a rest. his post was funny.

bills_phan

Run Willis Run
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Yes, but Buffalo is just a craphole in New York.
Say what you like about the city - it's a great place to live! I doubt you've ever even been there, so I don't take your comments about my home personally - you're just ignorant.

As far as football organizations go, well there you have no argument at all. So far we've kept it fairly civil. I know all about the storied franchise better known as the Arizona Cardinals - everyone does. I wouldn't stoop so low as to remind you that they are probably the sorriest franchise in the NFL pretty much since they came into existance. Hey, at least you're getting a new stadium - hope you get a .500 season to go with it!
:cheers:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
When did I compare the Cardinals to any team or put them on any sort of pedestal? You'd have to be pretty ignorant to not acknowledge the ineptitude of this franchise over the past fifteen years since I have been a fan. If you followed the board you'd know I'm one of the most outspoken critics on this franchise's horrid past.

And as far as Buffalo goes, my opinion is that it's a dump. Deal with it.