Durant to the Warriors

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Westbrook in 2017 will be interesting. There is no team he could join to challenge the Warriors.

I guess maybe the Spurs could try to get Westbrook but Westbrook, Kawhi and a 33yr old Aldridge does not look too scary compared to the Warriors.

So Westbrook might just roll the dice on a young potential team like the Wolves, Bucks, Lakers, Nuggets, Suns..

I think Westbrook will got to a big market team (i.e. New York, Chicago, LA or Boston.) He loves the spotlight.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
This is what it come down too.

I haven't studied the Warriors salary situation but it may be hard to keep all these players together long term.

The cap is going to jump anonther 15 and they are probably willing to pay tax for that team.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This development really makes McDonough's offseason approach look even smarter.

I'd like to see all of the faces of the Western Conference GMs that just gave out some crazy contracts trying to compete next season.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think Westbrook will got to a big market team (i.e. New York, Chicago, LA or Boston.) He loves the spotlight.

I don't know much about Westbrook but he always struck me as a westcoast guy who enjoys the nice weather.

I give you LA and New York but I think Westbrook would consider Phoenix if it was a clearly better option than LA or New York. Westbrook seems like the kind of guy who would enjoy Scottsdale.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Also now we need to see which team is going to cash in on Bogut.

I'd imagine a lot of teams with capspace would like to take Bogut and picks for free.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The cap is going to jump anonther 15 and they are probably willing to pay tax for that team.

Plus they are moving into a shiny new stadium with lots of box seats and there will be no dearth of sponsors.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is no denying it looks bad right now.

The growth of super teams continues. I don't think it is good for the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This development really makes McDonough's offseason approach look even smarter.

I'd like to see all of the faces of the Western Conference GMs that just gave out some crazy contracts trying to compete next season.

The goals for most good teams will to be to just make the playoffs.

The Suns did the right thing by not overspending for mediocre talent but the goal of winning a championship appears farther away than ever.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The goals for most good teams will to be to just make the playoffs.

The Suns did the right thing by not overspending for mediocre talent but the goal of winning a championship appears farther away than ever.

Luckily with Booker, Chriss, Bender and hopefully another high 2017 pick our real window will open when GSW falls apart.

We are the least affected team by this along with the Wolves.

We have exciting young players to watch develop without caring too much about wins and losses.

Being a Spurs fan must suck right now.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surely this cant be good for the game. The league may just let teams get away with a lot more on defense to even the field, if not, it is a no brainer.... it is going to be Cavs Vs GSW (barring injury) AGAIN next season. When is NBA going to have talents like this young players again.
Hopefully it gets the competitive juice flowing in other team, but one have to wonder if players will just accept their certain fate of not winning it all and just be content with the ridiculous amount they will get going by the insane contracts handed out this FA season.
Team spend years in the cellar to acquire young talents, only to lose them after 2 or 3 failed attempt to teams that is winning, Ugh!

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like Duncan may wave the white flag and retire.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luckily with Booker, Chriss, Bender and hopefully another high 2017 pick our real window will open when GSW falls apart.

We are the least affected team by this along with the Wolves.

We have exciting young players to watch develop without caring too much about wins and losses.

Being a Spurs fan must suck right now.

This is what will have to carry me through the tough times. I will look forward to just watching the talent.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Wow. Will be interesting to see their chemistry and team play with Durant, Green, Curry, Thompson and Livingston.

Stephen A. Smith and Lebron can go $^#@*/$# themselves.

Go Suns!

Regarding super teams, I agree it's not good but those existed in the 80's as well. Think of showtime Lakers and Boston etc. GS is only one of 30 teams (or something). We don't need to care about them when we can see Chriss and Bender put up double doubles on Utah, SA, NY, Miami, frigging Detroit etc.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wishing injuries on them in stupid, but they're definitely public enemy number 1 in the NBA as far as I'm concerned now.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I agree they're public enemy and I don't like their smug cocky attitude but their brand of basketball is entertaining if you can get past the persons involved. I also like the fact that Curry is CLEAR CUT MVP based on skill (just like Nash) and not just being a flopping bulldozer who clangs 35% outside the paint.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Not on the signing but the comments. I think OKC is in great shape even without Durant. He and Westbrook weren't as good together as each of them would have likely been apart IMO. And I think the growth of Adams and OKC's young players are much better than people realize. If Oladipo can take another step up and become a better than average starting 2, that team won't miss a beat. Their biggest challenge will come when Westbrook also decides to leave. I think both stars wanted bigger fishbowls to swim in.

And the Warriors dynasty is overstated. Andre is so important to that team and back problems don't get better for aging athletes, he's near the end. I wouldn't bet money on Curry lasting very long either and that is far from a deep team. Livingston really seemed to struggle with the extra minutes and Barbosa loses his game completely when he loses a step (he turns 34 in November). I don't see much young talent but maybe a real Warriors fan could enlighten me there.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still in shock but this was a ring chase move. It was a 2 year deal with an option for reason. I bet ring or no ring he doesn't stay with GS at the end of that contract. He probably feels this is his best chance.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still in shock but this was a ring chase move. It was a 2 year deal with an option for reason. I bet ring or no ring he doesn't stay with GS at the end of that contract. He probably feels this is his best chance.

I think this is more of a money chase move than a ring chase move. I think he wanted out of OKC one way or the other, at that point why not choose GS? The cap isn't done taking huge jumps upward so he'll opt out and get a long contract under even better terms.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think this is more of a money chase move than a ring chase move. I think he wanted out of OKC one way or the other, at that point why not choose GS? The cap isn't done taking huge jumps upward so he'll opt out and get a long contract under even better terms.

If this was a money chase move, couldn't he have signed with OKC for two years and make more? He joins the team that won the most regular season games in history, were the prohibitive favorite to win the title, and knocked him out of the playoffs last season..........kinda feels like ring chasing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this was a money chase move, couldn't he have signed with OKC for two years and make more? He joins the team that won the most regular season games in history, were the prohibitive favorite to win the title, and knocked him out of the playoffs last season..........kinda feels like ring chasing.

As I said, I believe he was leaving there regardless and the difference in what he could make there or elsewhere isn't much if you're talking 1 or 2 years. But the "money move" I was talking about was in response to the suggestion that the 2 year deal indicated it was a ring chase move. It's a 2 year deal with option not because he's just chasing a ring and then leaving, it's because he wants his last long term contract to be as maximized as possible. Similar to what Lebron's doing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think so. If that was the case he could have chased a longer term deal with more money on the table. A two year deal with a player option is very telling IMO.

If he doesn't get a ring within 2 years he can move on to the next contender. If he gets a ring he won't be as picky with his next choice. This screams ring chase IMO.

P.S. I don't have problem with players ring chasing after they have spent years at their draft city. I just hate this super team crap.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. If that was the case he could have chased a longer term deal with more money on the table. A two year deal with a player option is very telling IMO.

If he doesn't get a ring within 2 years he can move on to the next contender. If he gets a ring he won't be as picky with his next choice. This screams ring chase IMO.

No, he wouldn't have. That would have amounted to giving money away. You know the huge jump we saw in salaries this season? We have a few more years of these incredible jumps. It's the same reason Lebron has been going for short term deals with player options.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he wouldn't have. That would have amounted to giving money away. You know the huge jump we saw in salaries this season? We have a few more years of these incredible jumps. It's the same reason Lebron has been going for short term deals with player options.

You have a point about his timing and the CBA but he still could have garnered more money. It's only costing Golden State approximately as much to sign Durant as it would have to match the Mavericks’ offer to Harrison Barnes. Look at some of the lesser players getting inflated contracts. If this was a money move there was more out there.

I think he just wanted a decent offer from a contender. No way he takes that deal with a struggling NBA team.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I admit that I'll get bored with them as easily as the next guy if they roll to the finals for a few more years in a row, but I don't really get the hate. Few people three years ago would have predicted the Warriors winning a championship, setting a regular season win record, playing in two straight finals, or even being in the hunt for Durant. Seems to me they've done just about everything right. We should be so hatable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson