Dragic Plans to Quickly Re-Sign Next Summer

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
While this stalemate with Eric Bledsoe drags on, the Phoenix Suns other big star - and arguably the bigger star of the two - has no plans to drag out his own free agency decision next summer.

Phoenix Suns All-NBA guard Goran Dragic spoke to a reporter in Spain recently, and in response to playing in next summer's Eurobasket 2015 he spoke of his contract situation and how that should not impact his playing status.

"Got a very interesting position with the club. Guess I'll break the contract and sign a new one," he said. "As I spoke [to the Suns], I immediately during the first week, when the market opens, sign and I will therefore be calm."

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...agic-says-he-plans-to-opt-out-quickly-re-sign

So refreshing compared to the on-going Bledsoe saga.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
While this stalemate with Eric Bledsoe drags on, the Phoenix Suns other big star - and arguably the bigger star of the two - has no plans to drag out his own free agency decision next summer.

Phoenix Suns All-NBA guard Goran Dragic spoke to a reporter in Spain recently, and in response to playing in next summer's Eurobasket 2015 he spoke of his contract situation and how that should not impact his playing status.

"Got a very interesting position with the club. Guess I'll break the contract and sign a new one," he said. "As I spoke [to the Suns], I immediately during the first week, when the market opens, sign and I will therefore be calm."

Superbone said:
So refreshing compared to the on-going Bledsoe saga.

It sounds like Dragic is distancing (or contrasting) himself from the Bledsoe circus.

Goran, good for you! This should put to rest any talk of his wanting to play alongside Eric Bledsoe when it is his turn to sign.

I consider that good news for Suns fans.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope we don't get any discount at all. Give him what he's f***ibg worth. We got a discount the first time, this isn't Goodwill or Walmart to keep expecting discounts.

Dragic isn't LeBron or Wade who have millions in sponsorship lined up.

If Dragic continues his performance from last season, throw the max at him in the off season and then smoke a cigar knowing that at least one position and the best player on this team is locked up for good

OP
OP
Superbone

Superbone

Reaction score
I hope we don't get any discount at all. Give him what he's f***ibg worth. We got a discount the first time, this isn't Goodwill or Walmart to keep expecting discounts.

If Dragic continues his performance from last season, throw the max at him in the off season and then smoke a cigar knowing that at least one position and the best player on this team is locked up for good

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

This is ridiculous. Sure, we'd be willing to offer the max, but if his camp came back and asked for less, why would we say no to that? Babby is too shrewd of a negotiator to offer the max straight out.

You tend to have a simplistic way of looking at the NBA, it's a lot more complicated than what you make it out to be.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The worst-case scenario is losing both Bledsoe and Dragic, so this is relieving (though not surprising) news.

At least we know we're within three weeks of having some development. Still curious as to what RP is actually doing right now. I found the Lebron comments a bit irritating--though I don't want to overstate how much I actually care. I know he's like, de facto commissioner now or whatever, but the Suns management doesn't need to be hearing "instructions" from him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Sure, we'd be willing to offer the max, but if his camp came back and asked for less, why would we say no to that? Babby is too shrewd of a negotiator to offer the max straight out.

I'm with sunsfan88 on this one. If he matches last year's performance, he's a max player. Just pay him and be done with it. Building good will is a two-way street.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have said they will not sign two max players so the negotiations between Bledsoe and Dragic are somewhat intertwined. I believe the Suns are reserving max money (or near max money) for Dragic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have said they will not sign two max players so the negotiations between Bledsoe and Dragic are somewhat intertwined. I believe the Suns are reserving max money (or near max money) for Dragic.

I haven't seen that, do you have a link? Or can you remember the context of that statement?

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

That's not the choice. There is no possible way the Suns are even thinking of max money for Bledsoe, regardless of Dragic's situation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not the choice. There is no possible way the Suns are even thinking of max money for Bledsoe, regardless of Dragic's situation.

That is what I'm saying. If anyone gets near max money it will be Dragic because the Suns cannot afford two max type contracts at least at the guard position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen that, do you have a link? Or can you remember the context of that statement?

Steve

I can't find the link at the moment but it was said in a matter of fact fashion. I will keep looking. It may have referred to the Suns unwillingness to sign both Bledsoe and Dragic to max type contracts. Bledsoe is not going to get near max money on a four year contract unless the Suns can find a way to trade him. I believe the Suns are committed to keeping Dragic.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You tend to have a simplistic way of looking at the NBA, it's a lot more complicated than what you make it out to be.

+1. How stupid would this organization have to be to do that? If his camp demands MAX you have to consider it. However, you don't call them and say "hey we will pay you max" out of the gate.

If they request less and Dragic is happy that's all that counts. Plus it gives you flexibility.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
+1. How stupid would this organization have to be to do that? If his camp demands MAX you have to consider it. However, you don't call them and say "hey we will pay you max" out of the gate.

If they request less and Dragic is happy that's all that counts. Plus it gives you flexibility.

Right. There's only 2 players in the NBA you would do that with no question. Durant and Lebron.

Being open to signing someone the max doesn't mean you should come right out and say you'll offer it without actually negotiating.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Well obviously I didn't mean we force him to take more money. If he builds off last season then why in the world wouldn't his reps ask for the max?

What I'm saying is if they demand the max, the Suns should just give it because there will be other teams out there (Lakers for one) who won't blink once when giving him the max (even though I think our max is higher than what any other team could offer him).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well obviously I didn't mean we force him to take more money. If he builds off last season then why in the world wouldn't his reps ask for the max?

What I'm saying is if they demand the max, the Suns should just give it because there will be other teams out there (Lakers for one) who won't blink once when giving him the max (even though I think our max is higher than what any other team could offer him).

Ok, that makes more sense. If his agent says max or walk, the Suns would just simply offer the max. Or if as you say the Lakers outright offer the max (not a foregone conclusion), the Suns will do the same--which will end up being more money anyway.

Just saying that absent any other offers, we are not going to offer the max off the bat. Even if we're willing to pay it.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know why people here thought Dragic was going to leave. He's always stated he loves it here. We traded him away, and he purposefully decided to come back.

After that, just because we got Bledsoe, let alone that we run a 2 PG system, means there is absolutely no on-the-court reason for him to leave.

The only way Dragic is leaving is if we trade him. I would expect Kobe to leave the Lakers before Dragic choosing to part with the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't expect much, if any, discount from Dragic if/when he resigns here. However it wouldn't surprise me if he took a regular max, rather than the home team max. We could still sign him for 5 years, with just 4.5% raises rather than 7.5% and possibly a little lower starting point. He did last sign with us for 7.5 million a year with no raises. He appears to love the valley, the team, and want's the best for the team. So long as he gets his, which he will, he may be willing to make some concessions when it comes to money to help the Suns long term like taking a deal with lower raises than he could get.

OP
OP
Superbone

Superbone

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the thing about Dragic. It's not all about the money. He likes it here and wants to be here. Give him a fair deal and he'll sign. Just don't low ball him. I'm talking to you, Mr. Sarver.