Don’t trade peterson

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the problem. Vision. We simply don’t know what bidwill is going to do. No matter what we would get in trade for Peterson it would already become 50% diminished because we would have to use a very high pick to replace him. Trust Kiem with that? Many here believe we have a great core of players albeit we need more. Trading Peterson would diminished that core and make this team a little less attractive when looking for Wilks replacement. I refuse to believe Wilks will be retained. Bidwill should meet with Peterson and explain why he can’t trade him. He has to convince Peterson he is part of the solution, fess up to management mistakes and promise change sooner than later. Ask Peterson to call a players only meeting to explain his actions and motive. The biggest question here is does bidwill ( and us) trust Kiem to continue to be the guy to sign free agents,utilise the sizable amount of cap space and run the 2019 draft? This season has been a nightmare. However, things can be fixed and we could become a force NEXT YEAR. Trading Peterson is NOT the answer.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Put me firmly in the Do NOT Trade PP camp.

Teams don't get better by parting ways with good assets, of which we have few. 1st round draft picks are a total crap-shoot. Whatever we get back (and I wouldn't take less than two #1's and another day 2 two pick for a HOF CB in the prime of their career-which I'm not sure anyone will give up), the odds of the player/players being better than PP are slim to none.

And what message does that send to the rest of the team? We might as well get rid of Chandler Jones too. He's a good player and deserves a chance at a championship. The rest of the roster... not worth much, so we'll just keep them.

This year is lost. Hopefully Rosen gets productive game experience he can use to progress next year. We're going to battle Buffalo for the #1 pick in next years draft... use it to trade back a couple of times, and stock up on several 1-3 round picks over the next 2 years, who along with PP and a couple of $$$ Free Agents that take advantage of Rosen's rookie contract allow us to become relevant again sooner than a later.

Go Cards!!!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way I trade PP is if some team throws Crazy compensation at the Cardinals and that includes multiple high first round picks. PP wants to go to a contender so high first round picks are most likely not happening. There is no way the Cardinals should trade him then.

He is under contract for 2 more years and still in his prime. He isn't super expensive for an elite player. It makes no sense to move him and create another major hole on the team.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patrick Peterson will be a phone guest tomorrow on The Dan Patrick Show. 9-12 AM EST. NBC Sports & DTV Audience 239.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PP is a foundational piece. One of the best in the league. We simply won't be able to replace him. It'll take a decade or two to get another guy like him.

We could draft a CB in the top 10 for five straight years and not get a guy better than him.

For fun, here are the 1st round corners from 2011-2018.

1 5 Patrick Peterson DB LSU Arizona Cardinals
1 19 Prince Amukamara DB Nebraska New York Giants
1 27 Jimmy Smith DB Colorado Baltimore Ravens

1 6 Morris Claiborne CB LSU Dallas Cowboys
1 7 Mark Barron DB Alabama Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 10 Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina Buffalo Bills
1 17 Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama Cincinnati Bengals
1 29 Harrison Smith DB Notre Dame Minnesota Vikings

1 9 Dee Milliner CB Alabama New York Jets
1 12 D.J. Hayden CB Houston Oakland Raiders
1 22 Desmond Trufant CB Washington Atlanta Falcons
1 25 Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State Minnesota Vikings

1 8 Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State Cleveland Browns
1 14 Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech Chicago Bears
1 24 Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State Cincinnati Bengals
1 25 Jason Verrett CB Texas Christian San Diego Chargers
1 31 Bradley Roby CB Ohio State Denver Broncos

1 11 Trae Waynes CB Michigan State Minnesota Vikings
1 16 Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest Houston Texans
1 18 Marcus Peters CB Washington Kansas City Chiefs
1 27 Byron Jones CB Connecticut Dallas Cowboys
1 30 Damarious Randall DB Arizona State Green Bay Packers

1 5 Jalen Ramsey CB Florida State Jacksonville Jaguars
1 10 Eli Apple CB Ohio State New York Giants
1 11 Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 24 William Jackson CB Houston Cincinnati Bengals
1 25 Artie Burns CB Miami (Fla.) Pittsburgh Steelers

1 11 Marshon Lattimore CB Ohio State New Orleans Saints
1 16 Marlon Humphrey CB Alabama Baltimore Ravens
1 18 Adoree' Jackson CB USC Tennessee Titans
1 24 Gareon Conley CB Ohio State Oakland Raiders
1 27 Tre'Davious White CB LSU Buffalo Bills

1 4 Denzel Ward DB Ohio State Cleveland Browns
1 11 Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama Miami Dolphins
1 17 Derwin James DB Florida State Los Angeles Chargers
1 18 Jaire Alexander DB Louisville Green Bay Packers
1 28 Terrell Edmunds DB Virginia Tech Pittsburgh Steelers
1 30 Mike Hughes DB Central Florida Minnesota Vikings

37 1st round CB's since PP was drafted. Most not even close to his level.

When we fire Wilks, we'll need another lockdown man cover guy and it will be tough to find him.

Hell, PP's contract alone makes him worth an additional 1st rounder. 3 first rounders, and two day 2 selections.

You simply can't replace him, and everyone else is making a crap ton more. Base salary of 11-12 million for this guy for the next 2 1/2 years. Yeah. 3 first rounders and two day two picks. Not possible? Oh well. PP7 can play or destroy his career.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of holding players hostage if they truly don't want to be here. It usually never works out. As I stated in another thread though under no circumstances do you trade PP on his terms.

The team needs to do what is best for the team's long term future and you need to get maximum value. Trading him like this isn't going to do that. The team needs to come out and make that clear.

It's going to hurt this team since finding a good CB is hard but unless you can get a coaching staff in here with some high profile names, PP isn't going to change his mind. Having someone play on your team who doesn't want to be here doesn't make sense.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am not a fan of holding players hostage if they truly don't want to be here. It usually never works out. As I stated in another thread though under no circumstances do you trade PP on his terms.

The team needs to do what is best for the team's long term future and you need to get maximum value. Trading him like this isn't going to do that. The team needs to come out and make that clear.

It's going to hurt this team since finding a good CB is hard but unless you can get a coaching staff in here with some high profile names, PP isn't going to change his mind. Having someone play on your team who doesn't want to be here doesn't make sense.
I agree... trade him to a NY team, they will own the top ten in the draft...doesnt matter which one...Giants, Jets, Buffalo...whatever
get a 1 and a 3 and send him on his way...
use the 1 to pick Greedy Williams and the 3 to pick on OT or WR

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I agree... trade him to a NY team, they will own the top ten in the draft...doesnt matter which one...Giants, Jets, Buffalo...whatever

Peterson is demanding a trade from a garbage team which means another garbage team won’t touch him. Any first rd pick coming back would be in the mid-late 20’s. My hope would be Pittsburgh b/c they’re capable of imploding and missing the playoffs.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does he have a no trade clause?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I don't think it will happen during this season. Peterson also would want a new deal if he stays here. So depending how the FO views that, he'll either get that new deal or be dealt in the off season, imo. He'll want to be compensated to stay through a rebuild, mtl. If he's not even interested in negotiating a new deal, then they'll be pushed into a corner and have no other choice.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Put me in the camp of being for trading him if a fair offer is presented.

If you were unable to quit a job you disliked do you honestly think you put forward your full effort? Do you not think you would be likely to bring morale down for fellow employees?

Like it or not, the only good decision is get the most we can for him and say goodbye.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You can't run an organization based on 'what the players want' NO WAY...you go by what is best for the team today and in the long run.

PP is a foundation piece for any team....and we have him know and under a good contract for 2 more years....you don't let that walk unless it's for another foundational piece of better value.

Good players come around every now and then...elite players (like PP) come around once every 25 years. The last cornerstone CB the Cards had was A. Williams.

The Cards should have looked at the Eli Apple trade and considered it. Matching him up on the other side of PP would have been nice...if you don't know the Saints gave up a 4th and 7th in 2020.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't run an organization based on 'what the players want' NO WAY...you go by what is best for the team today and in the long run.

PP is a foundation piece for any team....and we have him know and under a good contract for 2 more years....you don't let that walk unless it's for another foundational piece of better value.

Good players come around every now and then...elite players (like PP) come around once every 25 years. The last cornerstone CB the Cards had was A. Williams.

The Cards should have looked at the Eli Apple trade and considered it. Matching him up on the other side of PP would have been nice...if you don't know the Saints gave up a 4th and 7th in 2020.

The truth is the players are in control. They control the effort they put forward and they control how they act around the team. It's just a matter of how much they want their way.

You can't force anyone to do anything they are not willing to do.

Nobody is saying take a low ball offer.

But if we can get for instance a good offensive lineman, a good linebacker, or a decent corner and a couple picks, I think we would be silly not to take it.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If he goes on the DP show tomorrow and reiterates that he wants to be traded in, and if the Cardinals still don’t want to trade him, they need to remove his captaincy

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
PP is a one dimensional player and in the Wilks 4/3 defense he is forced to tackle which is something PP avoids like the plague. He'd rather play his usual two-hand touch or bumper cars that he got away with in the past. Now he's butt-hurt cause he probably got called out by the coaches or was embarrassed on national tv. PP would rather look good than play with the intensity it takes to win. Thats evident from all the mugging in the endzone after a no touchdown interception. Instead of working hard as a capt and turning this team around he'd rather get traded to a winning team? Guess what Patrick you big puss? The next team your on is gonna expect you to tackle too.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
*Nick Bosa & Ed Oliver.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PP is a one dimensional player and in the Wilks 4/3 defense he is forced to tackle which is something PP avoids like the plague. He'd rather play his usual two-hand touch or bumper cars that he got away with in the past. Now he's butt-hurt cause he probably got called out by the coaches or was embarrassed on national tv. PP would rather look good than play with the intensity it takes to win. Thats evident from all the mugging in the endzone after a no touchdown interception. Instead of working hard as a capt and turning this team around he'd rather get traded to a winning team? Guess what Patrick you big puss? The next team your on is gonna expect you to tackle too.

Lol Mitch?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he goes on the DP show tomorrow and reiterates that he wants to be traded in, and if the Cardinals still don’t want to trade him, they need to remove his captaincy

If he didn't ask for a trade (demand), he would have already issued strong denials. That I am aware of it has been radio silence. He is playing it smart and not going scorched earth to try and make this happen.

Mullethead

Reaction score
He's got a shelf life. He's not getting any younger. Get what you can for him and Fitz as well. This whole thing is going to be bad no matter how it pans out. I fear Rosen won't be what people hope; he's too brittle. The O-line is not going to get any better. The Cards will be bad for the next five years. The team succeeded in spite of Keim and not because of him. I think we are seeing the underlying value of Warner and Palmer... They were able to make up for most shortcomings. I don't see that type of leader on this team. it's complete retool time I think..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard