Diamondbacks favored to win the NL

BigShtank

The heat dun frieded my brain
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/03/27/heyman.predictions/?cnn=yes

Always like reading about our teams being favored. More on page 2 and 3 of his article about the rest of the NL and AL.

Back with the D-Backs

Arizona is the choice -- again -- in the National League

Nobody has a better 1-2 pitching combo in the National League than the Arizona Diamondbacks. Nobody has a more solid bullpen. Nobody has a deeper overall pitching staff.

And no one has a more balanced lineup than the Diamondbacks. That's one through eight -- and one through nine on days when hard-hitting Micah Owings is pitching.

I picked the Diamondbacks to win the National League pennant last season, and they came through (sort of -- they won the league's best division and could easily have won the pennant). So why wouldn't I repeat my choice?

If I liked them last year when they were a completely unproven band of kids, why wouldn't I like them this year as a somewhat proven band of kids? The answer, of course, is that I have to like the Diamondbacks even more this year. And I do.

The 2007 D-Backs were the surprise champions of the NL West and got all the way to the NLCS, where they were swept by the Rockies, and even more important, made me look like a genius to the two or three people who noticed (or at least made them forget I picked the Reds, Mets and Cardinals as the NL's other playoff entrants).

The knock on the D-Backs a year ago was that they won despite themselves, that because they were outscored by 20 runs, they got lucky to win 90 games. I think that's a reasonable point to raise, but they also went 32-20 in one-run games, and their deep stash of pitchers probably helped them win the close ones. It's also true that over the last 40 games their run differential was a plus 20.

And it's true, too, that they didn't have a losing month.

As the great philosopher Bill Parcells once said, you are what your record says you are. He didn't say that you are what your run differential is.

With a year of seasoning and a notable offseason addition, they have to be better this year.
General manager Josh Byrnes' aggressive play to land a second top-of-the-rotation starter in Dan Haren was exactly the right move. He joins Brandon Webb, the most underrated star in the sport, to form a formidable top tandem. The D-Backs are, in fact, now one of three teams that can claim two No. 1 starters (the Indians and Mariners being the others). Randy Johnson doesn't qualify as a No. 1 anymore, but he did string six superb weeks together at one point last year, before being shelved by a bad back. He also threw 75 pain-free pitches in a spring game Wednesday.

Doug Davis and Owings round out the strong rotation. But that's just the beginning. Scouts say the Diamondbacks are maybe 18-to-20 deep in viable big-league pitchers, so even though the bullpen lacks a proven closer after the trade of last year's big-league saves leader, Jose Valverde, to Houston. Brandon Lyon, Juan Cruz and Tony Pena all are capable fill-ins.

There are a few holes. The batting order still lacks a true No. 3 or No. 4 hitter (Conor Jackson and Eric Byrnes will man those spots to start).
Yet, the lineup is as deep as any team's in the game. Anyone in it could hit 20 home runs, or steal 15 bases.

Mark Reynolds is a perfect prototype third baseman, providing power and defense. Catcher Chris Snyder is on the upswing. Orlando Hudson is healthy.
The bottom two hitters in the season's starting lineup, Stephen Drew and Justin Upton, are talented enough that they could wind up being the Nos. 2 and 3 hitters by midseason. Drew is due to show his true hitting prowess. He fielded brilliantly last year but waited until October to start hitting. That won't happen again.

Upton is ready to show he's a star.

Leadoff man Chris Young is ready to move from stardom to superstardom.

The D-Backs are ready to move to the next level, right on time. Their clock, not mine.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well, I hope he's right, though I'm still nervous about the youth and wouldn't at all be surprised to see some sophomore slumps (even though, how much lower could some of our guys numbers really get?) and for the D'Backs to miss the playoffs.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
In the NL , there are 4 teams that are really close together in the race for the West. Each team has their own question mark (ours being how productive the offense will be).

This article is very interesting. I have found it odd that espn has not mentioned the D'backs winning the West, nor making the play-offs. I would have thought us to be favored, especially since we had the best record in the NL last year and added Haren to the rotation.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Well, I hope he's right, though I'm still nervous about the youth and wouldn't at all be surprised to see some sophomore slumps (even though, how much lower could some of our guys numbers really get?) and for the D'Backs to miss the playoffs.

Hanley Frias numbers?

You must be registered for see images

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the young guys are going to hit better than we think. I am nervous about the bullpen. I'm hoping Lyon just had a bad spring.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Haha, I had totally forgotten about Hanley Frias, thats a great picture, he looks so...defeated.

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
I think the Mets may be a bit better than us but we could definitly beat them to go to the WS. The NL West will be competitive and there is always a chance for a team like the Rockies or even the Dodgers or Padres to sneak in there and win the division and the Wild Card might not necessarily come from the West because the Cubs, Brewers, Phillies, and Braves all have solid teams who could win the Wild Card.

I think we have what it takes to go to or even win the World Series but it's not going to come easy because the NL is getting more and more competitive and is no longer the "JV league" of MLB. It's right up there with the AL now IMO.

HooverDam

Reaction score
NL is getting more and more competitive and is no longer the "JV league" of MLB. It's right up there with the AL now IMO.

You're crazy. The NL has improved, but the AL is still far and away stronger. Its not as unbalanced as say the East and West in the NBA this year, but its a distinct difference.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just three days to go now until the start of the season. These are exciting times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn