Diamondbacks and lack of hitting

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have always been keeping hope that the Diamondbacks will make a run at the playoffs even with Randy and Curt out but I have realized even if those two were pitching, this team would not be winning a lot more games than without them.

The pitchers are pitching very well and they are not getting much help from the offense. The Diamondbacks in my opinion are two offensive players away from being contenders. They definitely need to go out and sign a center fielder and/or right fielder in the off season.

Steve Finley has had a nice career but he is past his prime and will not help this team like he did in the past. I think there will be a team come July that will want to make a trade to get Steve and maybe they can get something for him. Bautista has shown some flashes but he has no power and it is crucial to get some home runs from your right fielder. If only the Diamondbacks can have one or two of the Blue Jays outfielders.

I also think if Valverde shows he belongs in the majors maybe the Diamondbacks should trade Mantei in July. Not only would they be able to get rid of Matt's huge contract, they could get something good in exchange. Plus, the 8 million that would be spent on Mantei could be used to sign a top free agent.

As for the pitching, I think when everyone is healthy the starting five and bullpen are one of the tops. Also, the rookies have a lot of potential, especially Webb, Good and Gonzalez.

I don't know what the Diamondbacks exact record is when they score 3 runs or less, but I know it is not good. I still believe in this team and the future is bright, but adding two quality bats in the line-up will make me feel ecstatic.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
I don't know what the Diamondbacks exact record is when they score 3 runs or less, but I know it is not good.

4-26

This team needs a #4 and leadoff hitter, the complimentary pieces are already in place. They should for a leadoff hitter in CF and a power bat at either RF or 1B.

Lineup would then look like this:

1. Quality Leadoff (a.k.a. not Womack)
2. Cinton/Spivey
3. Gonzalez
4. Quality Power (a.k.a. not Bautista)
5. Hillenbrand
6. Overbay
7. Cintron/Spivey
8. Barajas

Finley and Mantei should be dealt. Yankees are looking for a center fielder and bullpen help. Lofton and Urbina's names have come up. D-Backs should offer the aforementioned Finley and Mantei in a packaged deal for Jeff Weaver (who’s in the Yanks bullpen) and a prospect.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would not trade for Weaver. First, he makes too much and second the Diamondbacks have a lot of quality pitchers. I would trade for a guy like Beltran or Shannon Stewart. Would Guerrero from Montreal look nice in a Diamondback uniform next year?

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Vlad would look nice in anybodys uniform, but he is a pipe dream, we can't afford him.