Diabetes and the Trash Food Industry

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When I was a kid my folks couldn't afford to take my brother and I out to fast food every night. Maybe once every two weeks on payday. Or Dairy Qween when something special happened. The difference is now people are RELYING on these "restaraunts" for the majority of their meals. I work in a remote location of the world, so we do a lot of bringing our own food to work. However, in town, my wife says people eat fast food EVERY day for lunch. Noone takes food to work if they can get it from the nearby grease pit. She said 99% of the microwaves use at her job, is to heat up the burger, burrito, etc., just bought somewhere in town. I think that's the difference. Two income houses make it easy to afford these luxeries. ;)

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raising my son as a single parent. I cooked at home religiously. Packed fresh home made lunches, and made a hot breakfast every morning. He was the envy of his friends. We had lots of company for meals. Now he is 30 with the same eating habits and about as healthy and fit as they come. Never eats fast foods and is a cooking fool.

Good habits are hard to die. It seems such a shame that cooking has become a lost art.

Hey Yuma congrats on the 55 # loss. Are you still losing?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Raising my son as a single parent. I cooked at home religiously. Packed fresh home made lunches, and made a hot breakfast every morning. He was the envy of his friends. We had lots of company for meals. Now he is 30 with the same eating habits and about as healthy and fit as they come. Never eats fast foods and is a cooking fool.

Good habits are hard to die. It seems such a shame that cooking has become a lost art.

Hey Yuma congrats on the 55 # loss. Are you still losing?
I'm at a plateau. However, if I get my A$$ in gear tonight, I plan on starting weight lifting. That ALWAYS drops the big LBS. for me. :)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love cooking, and do it probably 5 nights a week (I wish it were a little less, but it's better than having my wife in the kitchen...it's literally dangerous to have her cook anything with a difficulty degree higher than spaghetti :().

The problem is that I grew up on old Bohemian meals like pork, sauerkraut and dumplings or other such high-calorie heart stopping foods, so that's the sort of thing I tend to cook.

While it's far better than fast food, I need to change my cooking habits.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I'm at a plateau. However, if I get my A$$ in gear tonight, I plan on starting weight lifting. That ALWAYS drops the big LBS. for me. :)

If I started squatting and deadlifting right now, I'd probably put on 15 lbs in 6 weeks. Different body types I guess.

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love to cook. I love to create new and interesting meals! In my house, it literally gets to the point where my husband tells me I'm not ALLOWED to cook for a few days until all the leftovers are gone! :p Our primary eating out is because of our rushing around more than we should. Breakfast and lunch mostly. We have been doing much better than in the past months. As long as I make sure to keep more choices in the house, we're less likely to go out. Breakfast bars aren't as healthy as a homecooked breakfast, but it's better than McD's drive-thru. Henry's farmers market has been very helpful also. Keeping lots of fresh fruit and veggies around makes snacking easier. I cut them up as soon as I get home and put them in Tupperware, so when any of us need a quick snack, we can grab an already peeled, cut up carrot, or a handful of grapes that already have the stems picked off.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CQ said:
I love to cook. I love to create new and interesting meals! In my house, it literally gets to the point where my husband tells me I'm not ALLOWED to cook for a few days until all the leftovers are gone! :p Our primary eating out is because of our rushing around more than we should. Breakfast and lunch mostly. We have been doing much better than in the past months. As long as I make sure to keep more choices in the house, we're less likely to go out. Breakfast bars aren't as healthy as a homecooked breakfast, but it's better than McD's drive-thru. Henry's farmers market has been very helpful also. Keeping lots of fresh fruit and veggies around makes snacking easier. I cut them up as soon as I get home and put them in Tupperware, so when any of us need a quick snack, we can grab an already peeled, cut up carrot, or a handful of grapes that already have the stems picked off.

What does that mean?? New and interesting?? When my wife says, "NEZ, come get your new and interesting meal." I usually slip out the back door and go to a pool hall.

So I take it you are a good cook. Any tips I can give my wife so she stops making sausage and ham casseroles?? :barf:

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
What does that mean?? New and interesting?? When my wife says, "NEZ, come get your new and interesting meal." I usually slip out the back door and go to a pool hall.

So I take it you are a good cook. Any tips I can give my wife so she stops making sausage and ham casseroles?? :barf:

LOL! No, when I tell my hubby I've created a new meal, he LOVES it!

My best tip, have her watch Food Network A LOT! I have always enjoyed cooking. I've always been a comfort eater. (Which is why I'm having to bust tail to lose weight! LOL!) I have made MANY meals that neither my husband or I have been willing to eat. But I am very fortunate that my hubby doesn't just say, "this is crap! order pizza!" he is very good at giving constructive criticism. For instance, he'll give tips on what could be done to improve the meal, he'll tell what he liked and what he didn't and why. It does help that he also enjoys cooking.

So a couple of years ago, I started watching Food Network while I cleaned house. I would have it on nearly all day while I folded laundry, vacuumed, washed dishes... Now that I'm working, I got DVR so the shows that I got the best tips from, I now record and watch while still doing those chores. I picked up on lots of good tips that have really helped.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CQ said:

Would me being less of a jerk about this help?? I'll be honest, I can't hide my jerkness very well. How should I replace this phrase, "What in the world made you think these flavors could possibly go together."

My best tip, have her watch Food Network A LOT! I have always enjoyed cooking. I've always been a comfort eater. (Which is why I'm having to bust tail to lose weight! LOL!) I have made MANY meals that neither my husband or I have been willing to eat. But I am very fortunate that my hubby doesn't just say, "this is crap! order pizza!" he is very good at giving constructive criticism. For instance, he'll give tips on what could be done to improve the meal, he'll tell what he liked and what he didn't and why. It does help that he also enjoys cooking.

I watch FN alot and think I've developed a crush on Rachel Ray.

So a couple of years ago, I started watching Food Network while I cleaned house. I would have it on nearly all day while I folded laundry, vacuumed, washed dishes... Now that I'm working, I got DVR so the shows that I got the best tips from, I now record and watch while still doing those chores. I picked up on lots of good tips that have really helped.

:notworthy:notworthy

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Would me being less of a jerk about this help?? I'll be honest, I can't hide my jerkness very well. How should I replace this phrase, "What in the world made you think these flavors could possibly go together."

Yes, being less of a jerk would totally help. :trout:

NEZCardsfan said:
I watch FN alot and think I've developed a crush on Rachel Ray.

Ok, so if you watch FN a lot, do you cook then? Put some of what you've learned into action! Go to www.meals.com and you can find some very easy, tasty recipes. Anyone that isn't used to cooking regularly should stick with a recipe!!! This site is great because you can just type in their search bar the main ingredients you have on hand, for instance, type in chicken breast peas and you'll get FIVE PAGES of recipes!

NEZCardsfan said:
:notworthy:notworthy

You must be registered for see images attach

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CQ said:
Ok, so if you watch FN a lot, do you cook then? Put some of what you've learned into action! Go to www.meals.com and you can find some very easy, tasty recipes. Anyone that isn't used to cooking regularly should stick with a recipe!!! This site is great because you can just type in their search bar the main ingredients you have on hand, for instance, type in chicken breast peas and you'll get FIVE PAGES of recipes!

I do most of the cooking. My salsas and chili and stuff I just make up. They usually turn out pretty good, but I usually make enough for an army. When I want to try new stuff, I go to allrecipes.com.

I do a lot of slow cooker stuff in the winter. Just throw the stuff together the night before, leave it in the fridge through the night, and plug in the crock pot the next morning and come home to a hot meal at night.

Grill in the summer alot....but it kind of sucks now without my pool. The only time I ever really miss having a pool.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
CQ said:

I watch basically two channels on my satellite dish between Suns games, the Food Network and HGTV. I cook a LOT in my household. I was always a good cook. Since I have celiac disease, (basically the short version is I cannot eat wheat, rye, barley, oats, malt) I had to become a baker and learn to cook pastries and cakes, breads, etc. with new flours and ingredients. My mother is a celiac, so without my due diligence she would not have had birthday cakes, etc., over the years. My in-laws like my cakes, pies, and cheesecakes, A LOT. They are very complimentary, and eat it all up, so even with the weird ingredients, I know it must be good. They are really picky eaters, too.

I experiment, too. Usually in my house the wife or kids turn up their noses while I am making a dish, then after they try it, the whole thing is GONE! I think I have seen almost every show at least once that they offer on Food Network. My son really got in hot water the orther day by telling his Mom that I was the best cook in the house. Things have also happened like the kids eating my tuna salad, but not touching my wife's. She's a very good cook, too. Don't misunderstand. It's just dad is tuned into the kids palate a little better. That's partially why I was so overweight. A household with 2 good cooks is trouble! :)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Rachel Ray rules. 30 minute meals and cute as can be.
:thumbup:

Also, the $40 a Day show is pretty cool, too. The wife and I always pull up her web site when we're traveling somewhere to see where she went to eat.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:

Also, the $40 a Day show is pretty cool, too. The wife and I always pull up her web site when we're traveling somewhere to see where she went to eat.

$ 40/ day in some fine places. I'd kick in a ten spot if I could join her.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
If I started squatting and deadlifting right now, I'd probably put on 15 lbs in 6 weeks. Different body types I guess.
I was a triathlete type body BEFORE I put on 80 pounds of fat!

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I was a triathlete type body BEFORE I put on 80 pounds of fat!

I think it is quite possible that I don't have a single slow-twitch muscle fiber in my body.

I lose all my weight by sprinting. I usually can easily lose 20 lbs by sprinting for 6 weeks. Unfortunately, I put weight (fat/muscle) on as quickly as I lose it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I think it is quite possible that I don't have a single slow-twitch muscle fiber in my body.

I lose all my weight by sprinting. I usually can easily lose 20 lbs by sprinting for 6 weeks. Unfortunately, I put weight (fat/muscle) on as quickly as I lose it.
I'm the opposite. Even 55 pounds heavier, I could run 4 miles 4 to 5 times a week and NOT lose ANY weight. I love to run, but fell out of love with weight lifting. So, two good cooks in the house, no more bar hopping (which strangely always burned fat for me), and a sedentary job, turned into a slow death march...... :(

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:

Great show!

I work at a before-school program and you would be amazed at the kids who bring in McDonalds or Wawa (convenience store chain) for breakfast every morning. Eating that stuff every day is unhealthy AND expensive. I don't get it.

The secretary in my office eats McDonalds EVERY DAY for breakfast. Every day! The hashbrown, bagel sandwich and coffee. Every day!

Hey, I am no stranger to fast food, but it's usually when I have run out of time in the morning, something I try not to do. Funny thing is, there is usually another equally quick, but better option. Around here we have convenience stores that sell fruit. You can get a yogurt. You can get a hard boiled egg. And stopping at the convenience store is just as fast as going through the drive through.

I forget who said it earlier (Yuma, maybe) about not getting fast food a lot growing up. Same here. Going to McDonalds or getting pizza was a treat, not an everyday occurance. It's funny. I visit my grandmother (in her mid 80s) and she'll say "Can I treat you to a Coke?" Yes, it's a treat to her, not an every day thing. I think we, as a society, have lost that mentality through the years. Nothing is a treat to us. We want what we want, when we want it and to hell with the consequences.

Even a lot of grocery food store is not healthy. Lunchables? Tons of sodium and fat. Those frozen peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with no crust? Can you say preservatives? I mean, how hard is it to make a PB&J?

I understand that people are busier now than ever before, and that statement might serve to justify the fast food circus, but why exactly are we busier? Is it by choice or by need? Do we really need the bigger house, car, wardrobe? Do our kids really need to be in 10 different activities? We as Americans have more than we ever have before, yet it seems we're more depressed than ever.

Wow. Where did this soapbox come from?! :soapbox:

In any case, we all need to shape up and make better choices. It does come down to personal responsibility. Fast food chains wouldn't be serving up all that crap if people weren't out rushing to buy it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard