Denny Green Talking Championship...

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
those season highlights were pretty good. The announcer was showing a lot of respect for the 04' squad even through they finished 6-10.

It also talked up our offseason, and Denny was unabashedly talking about winning a championship. And he meant it. That unwavering confidence reminds me of Bobby Stoops.

Green's approach might be a little haphazard as well as merciless, but he's got a clear vision of what he wants the team to be, and is taking affirmative steps get there.

How long does he have before the stalinist approach wears thin though? Could we really win it this year?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How long does he have? He had what, 8 years in Minnesota? As long as he's successful, he'll be here.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Newsflash... We are gonna ROCK.
Damn the torpedos.

In other news, I just put two pink flamingos in my front yard. The Association should be in a tizzy by Monday afternoon.
That is all. Thank you, and have a terrific weekend.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Damn the torpedos.

In other news, I just put two pink flamingos in my front yard. The Association should be in a tizzy by Monday afternoon.

If pink flamingos are good enough for S11, that daddummit I'm running out and buying a pair this weekend. I'm looking forward to this ROCKing that will be done by the Cardinals of Phoenix.

:thumbup:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Assface said:
If pink flamingos are good enough for S11, that daddummit I'm running out and buying a pair this weekend. I'm looking forward to this ROCKing that will be done by the Cardinals of Phoenix.

:thumbup:

I've never been more proud of two plastic animals. They look tremendous. The pride, the dignity... it's really fantastic.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
100%CardsFan said:
One time I passed out drunk in my front yard only in my boxers and woke up from multiple ant bites. Actually it happened 3 times but the ants only happened once and the other 2 were in the driveway.
Well the bright side is, at least it wasn't your neighbors driveway.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
100%CardsFan said:
One time I passed out drunk in my front yard only in my boxers and woke up from multiple ant bites. Actually it happened 3 times but the ants only happened once and the other 2 were in the driveway.

i woke up in key west on the beach with a police officer shining a light in my eyes and poking me with his night stick (get your minds out the gutter) telling me i couldn't sleep their.

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Damn the torpedos.

Pink Flamingos!!!! And you call yourself a fan.

If you look around the lawn and garden areas of some hardware stores you might find what i found.

Cardinals on stick.

The wind spins their wings. I got three in the garden.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
vince56 said:
How long does he have? He had what, 8 years in Minnesota? As long as he's successful, he'll be here.

Hey, nothing says dignity like plastic birds. Bigtime.

Your right, but it wasn't all going in the right direction for all eight of those years. Will the same thing that made Denny lose the team in MIN make him lose it here.

Anyway.

Cardiholic

Registered
Reaction score
az-red said:

If you look around the lawn and garden areas of some hardware stores you might find what i found.

Cardinals on stick.

Ha, I've got the same Cardinals on a stick in my front yard. They rock !!

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Why do fans think Green is merciless or stalinist? The man has laid down a higher standard and the players that don't want to meet it have been cut, or will be cut. I don't see why having higher expectations and a goal of winning a championship makes him a hard nosed coach.

The players that really want to win a championship appreciate Green and what he's doing. They don't want slackers for teammates. They want to play with guys like Green who want to win the trophy.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Why do fans think Green is merciless or stalinist? The man has laid down a higher standard and the players that don't want to meet it have been cut, or will be cut. I don't see why having higher expectations and a goal of winning a championship makes him a hard nosed coach.

The players that really want to win a championship appreciate Green and what he's doing. They don't want slackers for teammates. They want to play with guys like Green who want to win the trophy.

Most of us fully support what Green is doing. The few who don't are very loud about it.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az-red said:

Cardinals on stick.

Just get a can of red spray paint and cover those flamingos....Instant Cardinals.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Most of us fully support what Green is doing. The few who don't are very loud about it.

I remember about this time last year when some fans were threatening a boycott after he cut Kendall. I don't understand that mentality as you could tell from day one that Green is changing things for the better. Well, most can I guess.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I remember about this time last year when some fans were threatening a boycott after he cut Kendall. I don't understand that mentality as you could tell from day one that Green is changing things for the better. Well, most can I guess.

heheh, exactly. Remember the "Green must go!" article? :doi:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Who were those idiots. They'll never admit it now.

This is almost an entirely new team, it's great. No more scrubs who couldn't make another NFL roster.

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wrote the "Green Must Go" article and I take full responsibility for it. Dennis Green made several controversial moves last year while talking Top 5 offense and an immediate playoff berth from day one. The manner in which he treated the players was a real sticking point with me. A father of one of the players emailed me to elaborate on Green's mistreatment of the players. I still have a problem with Green's methods there...and I still have a problem with the way he stood all alone like a mumbling Buddha on the sidelines, making no adjustments while games were going down the tubes. I still have a problem with changing QBs in the hotel the night before a ballgame, at a time when the team was on a little winning streak. I still have a problem with the way he threw in the towel in the Detroit game, by having his offense huddle up for thirty seconds a pop, down 14 with 3 minutes left. Call me an idiot, that's fine.

Now...am I like everyone else, impressed with Green's ability to add personnel? Yes. Emphatically, yes. I think Green had added more talent in two years than he predecessors did in the last seven. This current roster is the most talented roster in recent team history. I laud Green for this. He's a master drafter and free agent signer. Master.

Green still has to prove that he can get the most out of this talent. Now that he has what he considers to be his kind of players, he's got a very good chance of succeeding. Ironically, I think Green has molded a new attitude not because of scare tactics...but because of the faith he puts in "his" players.

I also think that we will see a more interactive, hands-on coach on the sidelines this year. Green deserves a mulligan for last year...new players, new staff, two year hiatus from the game, etc.

Hopefully Green hit the jackpot with Keith Rowen the way he did with Clancy Pendergast. If so, the Cardinals could be good in ways we have never really seen before...with a tenacious, swarming defense, a strike for gold offense, and opportunistic special teams.

Green has to coach these players up this year. The mentality and the roster are now in place.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Who were those idiots. They'll never admit it now.

This is almost an entirely new team, it's great. No more scrubs who couldn't make another NFL roster.

That's the clear thing Green brings to the table, he has shown a real eye for talent. Now this years draft is only on paper we have no idea how guys like Green, Brown and Mitchell(who all fell) will pan out. But based on last year I'm assuming Green will be right more than wrong with his talent evaluations.

I still think he made some mistakes last year, but I think he's clearly learned from problems he had in his past.

I was convinced he'd ultimately get himself in the same trouble here he did in Minnesota and get canned, I still think it's possible, but no longer do I think it's inevitable, it appears he learned from how things wound up in Minnesota.

I told someone over the weekend the Cards might have the best defense in the NFC by the end of the season, and he not only didn't laugh at me, he agreed.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Walter Mitchell said:
...If so, the Cardinals could be good in ways we have never really seen before...with a tenacious, swarming defense, a strike for gold offense, and opportunistic special teams...

I started feeling faint when I read this thought...

Last edited:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I think Green's greatest achievement has been creating an environment and system where his players can achieve success. The system that he's brought in here and attitude has these players not settling for mediocrity but striving for success and respect. The same players who may have been drafted in the Mac era are put in a position to be successful.

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ: You make several great points. The big question...and potential vulnerability of this defense is right up the middle, where Russell Davis, Gerald Hayes and Robert Griffith (can he make the transition to FS?) will be tested repeatedly. Davis made strides last year, but was still soft against the run. Hayes has excellent potential..but he's raw...and Griffith may lack the speed and instincts to be effective at free safety. There doesn't appear to be much depth at those critical positions either, which may be cause for concern.

The perimeter...on the other hand...is potentially awesome...with Berry and Okeafor at ends...Dansby, Huff and Blackstock bringing speed on the edges...and if Pendergast caters his schemes to Antrel Rolle's strengths...as I believe he will...wow...with Adrian Wilson roaming all over the place...wow!

GreenCard

Reaction score
Redheart,that was funny.I caught Denny on one of the sport shows Sunday night and he looked very sharp with his pure white cap with the Redbird and his pure white shirt with the Bird over the pocket.He also said,"If you are always losing there has to be a reason."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn