Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DC Comics gets a new logo...

A NOTE FROM THE PUBLISHER
May 9th, 2005 -

Welcome to one of the most exciting times in DC's history. 2005 is going to go down in the record books as our year, and we're glad you're here to celebrate it with us.

First and foremost, we have extraordinary events going on in the core titles that make up the DC universe. Beginning this spring with COUNTDOWN TO INFINITE CRISIS, continuing in DC SPECIAL: THE RETURN OF DONNA TROY, and shaking up the whole line as the year goes on, this will be a year of changes and cataclysmic stories that fans will be debating for decades to come. The writers, artists and editors of DC are determined to do work that will define this generation of super-hero comics as CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS did the '80s, or the original, classic CRISIS ON EARTH-ONE/EARTH-TWO did for the '60s.

Then, because the universe isn't large enough to contain all our creativity, we have projects starring our all-star characters by all-star talent that tell quintessential tales of the heroes with a creative freedom to mix and match elements from how they've been developed over the issues. Leading off is ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER, uniting legendary creators Frank Miller and Jim Lee on the character who's been one of the peak moments in both their careers, and then we follow with ALL STAR SUPERMAN by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, and JUSTICE by Alex Ross, Doug Braithwaite and Jim Krueger.

And beyond the printed page altogether, this summer's BATMAN BEGINS will reclaim the title of fans' favorite comic book movie for DC with thrills from the new Batmobile racing through Gotham to the most faithful and insightful look at Batman's origins ever. Combined with the stunning efforts bringing sister imprint Vertigo's CONSTANTINE and V FOR VENDETTA to film, it'll be clear that we're back — and we're staying on the silver screen with a steady stream of surprising and great DC-based films.

Not to mention the small screen, where SMALLVILLE, JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED, TEEN TITANS and THE BATMAN are being joined by KRYPTO THE SUPERDOG, with even more DC projects are in development for the near future. We've been the unchallenged leading comics company on TV since George Reeves put on his Superman suit, and we're going to keep building on that fine heritage.

To put our pride where our pitch is, we've decided this is the moment to do something we've debated for the last few years and introduce a new DC logo. The symbol that graces DC SPECIAL will be spinning onto the whole line in June, and as fast as we can, onto all our films, TV shows, video games, licensed products and the DC DIRECT line as well. Look for the launch of the film version on BATMAN BEGINS, and keep your eyes peeled to play art detective as you watch.

It seems like it was only a moment ago (could it really be over 25 years?) when legendary designer Milton Glaser's DC logo went up in the corner of our comics, just as my first LEGION story was being published. It went on the famed DOLLAR COMICS, DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, WATCHMEN and on to IDENTITY CRISIS, with literally thousands of issues between. It marked years in which we expanded the creative reach of comics, changed how talented people could be rewarded and recognized for their efforts in comics, and had some great times that we shared with our readers. I'm confident that when we look back on the era of this new DC symbol, lovingly created by designer Josh Beatman of Brainchild Studio under the care of our design wizards Richard Bruning and Georg Brewer, it'll have just as awesome a run.

Stick with us. The best really is yet to come.

Paul Levitz
President & Publisher

Attachments

• newdclogo.jpg
    newdclogo.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 68

Djaughe

Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
So you hate Superman?

I'm a believer that when you kill off a comic character...they stay dead. :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:

Why you have to post that about Christopher Reeves?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Djaughe said:

So what do you have against Batman, plasticman, Green Lantern, Aquaman and the Flash

:cry:

Djaughe

Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
So what do you have against Batman, plasticman, Green Lantern, Aquaman and the Flash

:cry:

lol...I'm just stirring up crap.

I haven't read a comic book since the early 90's - so I have nothing substantial to offer.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
lol...I'm just stirring up crap.

I haven't read a comic book since the early 90's - so I have nothing substantial to offer.

What? So you aren't a true comic nerd?

Djaughe

Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
What? So you aren't a true comic nerd?

Depends on the definition. Do I still have comics in plastic bags from the 80'-90's - yup.

Am I in the same league as someone like pariah?

No way - he is the godfather of comic nerds imo!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
Then how is it you side with Marvel? Who have they killed that's stayed dead?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Then how is it you side with Marvel? Who have they killed that's stayed dead?

They don't resurrect the same person they just add Roman Numerals after the character's name and make some distant relative come in contact with the same toxic waste or biohazard material the original guy did...

Like Green Goblin II

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
he is the godfather of comic nerds imo!
(queue "Godfather" music)

Djaughe: These comic book companies. They keep killing characters and bringing them back. I hate DC.
Pariah: Why did you go to Marvel? Why didn't you come to me first?
Djaughe: What do you want of me? Tell me anything, but do what I beg you to do.
Pariah: What is that? (Djaughe whispers his request in Pariah's ear.) That I cannot do.
Djaughe: I will give you anything you ask.
Pariah: We've known each other many years, but this is the first time you ever came to me for counsel or for help. I can't remember the last time that you invited me to your house for a cup of coffee, even though my wife is godmother to your only child. But let's be frank here. You never wanted my friendship. And uh, you were afraid to be in my debt.
Djaughe: I didn't want to get into trouble.
Pariah: I understand. You found paradise in America, you had a good trade, you made a good living. The police protected you and there were courts of law. And you didn't need a friend like me. But now you come to me and you say - 'Pariah, give me justice.' But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me Godfather. Instead, you come into my house on Free Comic Book Day, and you ask me to do murder for money.
Djaughe: I ask you for justice.
Pariah: That is not justice. These are just comic book characters.
Djaughe: Let them suffer then, as I suffer. How much shall I pay you?
Pariah (after standing and turning his back): Djaughe, Djaughe. What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you'd come to me in friendship, then these scum that ruined your enjoyment of comic books would be suffering this very day. And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies. And then they would fear you.
Djaughe: Be my friend - - Godfather. (Pariah shrugs. Djaughe bows toward Pariah and kisses Pariah's hand.)
Pariah: Good. (Pariah puts his hand on Djaughe's shoulder.) Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day - accept this justice as a gift on Free Comic Book Day.
Djaughe: Grazie, Godfather.
Pariah: Prego.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free Comic Book Day? Excellent. Is it ever too late to become a comic book nerd? I have three Iron Man comics somewhere.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
They don't resurrect the same person they just add Roman Numerals after the character's name and make some distant relative come in contact with the same toxic waste or biohazard material the original guy did...

Like Green Goblin II
Sure, they have lots of "second generation" characters, but if there's an a- or even b-list character that's died, you can bet it's coming back.

Elektra
Wonder Man
Colussus

and, reincarnates that will come this year:
Scarlet Witch
Hawkeye
Thor

There are a ton more, too. The only exception I can think of to the rule is Captain Marvel. They brought the character back in more of a "Green Goblin II" vein when they had his son take up the torch, but he went insane and died, too. He'll be back.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Free Comic Book Day? Excellent. Is it ever too late to become a comic book nerd? I have three Iron Man comics somewhere.
It's actually probably better if you become a comic book nerd as an adult. It'll save you a ton of grief form jackass high school jocks.

It's so geeky it's cool these days.:thumbup:

Iron Man just relaunched. You should go see if you can get the first couple of issues. It's a good place to start.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
It's actually probably better if you become a comic book nerd as an adult. It'll save you a ton of grief form jackass high school jocks.

It's so geeky it's cool these days.:thumbup:

Iron Man just relaunched. You should go see if you can get the first couple of issues. It's a good place to start.

First couple of issues ever?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
First couple of issues ever?
Well, no...not of volume 1, but Marvel screws with the issue numbers all the time, so now they're on volume 5 (I think) of Iron Man. So, you can get the first few issues of that really easily. They're just a couple of months old.

That's what I meant by "relaunch."

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Well, no...not of volume 1, but Marvel screws with the issue numbers all the time, so now they're on volume 5 (I think) of Iron Man. So, you can get the first few issues of that really easily. They're just a couple of months old.

That's what I meant by "relaunch."
That is what I thought.

I hope DJo never has to sleep with the fishes (fish).

Djaughe

Reaction score
Pariah said:
(queue "Godfather" music)

Djaughe: These comic book companies. They keep killing characters and bringing them back. I hate DC.
Pariah: Why did you go to Marvel? Why didn't you come to me first?
Djaughe: What do you want of me? Tell me anything, but do what I beg you to do.
Pariah: What is that? (Djaughe whispers his request in Pariah's ear.) That I cannot do.
Djaughe: I will give you anything you ask.
Pariah: We've known each other many years, but this is the first time you ever came to me for counsel or for help. I can't remember the last time that you invited me to your house for a cup of coffee, even though my wife is godmother to your only child. But let's be frank here. You never wanted my friendship. And uh, you were afraid to be in my debt.
Djaughe: I didn't want to get into trouble.
Pariah: I understand. You found paradise in America, you had a good trade, you made a good living. The police protected you and there were courts of law. And you didn't need a friend like me. But now you come to me and you say - 'Pariah, give me justice.' But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer friendship. You don't even think to call me Godfather. Instead, you come into my house on Free Comic Book Day, and you ask me to do murder for money.
Djaughe: I ask you for justice.
Pariah: That is not justice. These are just comic book characters.
Djaughe: Let them suffer then, as I suffer. How much shall I pay you?
Pariah (after standing and turning his back): Djaughe, Djaughe. What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you'd come to me in friendship, then these scum that ruined your enjoyment of comic books would be suffering this very day. And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies. And then they would fear you.
Djaughe: Be my friend - - Godfather. (Pariah shrugs. Djaughe bows toward Pariah and kisses Pariah's hand.)
Pariah: Good. (Pariah puts his hand on Djaughe's shoulder.) Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day - accept this justice as a gift on Free Comic Book Day.
Djaughe: Grazie, Godfather.
Pariah: Prego.

:notworthy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard