Dbacks vs Red Sox Series Thread...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
But I thought Didi was the next Jeter? Towers sucks. Also, AJ, Ross and Parra need to be in the outfield every day.

The Jeter comparison was stupid but it was also not Did's doing. Towers needs to quit putting his foot in his mouth and Didi needs to just keep working hard. It's way to soon to say what kind of player he'll be. So far I'd say he's shown more potential than I expected.

Why is it that Didi can make a perfect throw running sideways, falling down but can't hit the side of a barn on routine plays?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
he's shown more potential than I expected.

Why is it that Didi can make a perfect throw running sideways, falling down but can't hit the side of a barn on routine plays?
Most likely a personality trait. There are people who come to life for the spectacular and others who shy away from it. The spectacular tend to be bored by the everyday plays and take them lightly.

If that is the case with Didi, it will be difficult to overcome a lifetime of inherent personality and habits. Perhaps the coaching staff can bring about some improvement, but we basically have to take the bad with the good.

If his offense picks up, that would solidify him as our SS (or perhaps CF) of the future. Time will tell.

P.S.: Our 1B coach Steve Sax had the biggest problem of any Major Leaguer on throws to 1B. Perhaps he can provide some insight and help DD.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Cody Ross needs to make sure he has actually hit a home run before he does the bat flip and goes into his trot. His home run last night cleared the fence by about 6 inches and he acted like he hit it 500 feet. This isn't the first time either.

The announcers remarked how unusual it was when Goldschmidt ran as fast as he could to first on HIS HR - something almost unheard of these days

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No outs, runners at 1st and 2nd in the 8th inning. I just hate to see a called bunt in that situation with anyone other than the pitcher hitting. I've never understood the logic, why take yourself out of a big inning. Trailing by one I can see it but not when you're down two. Fortunately, Parra couldn't execute the bunt and slapped one through the infield instead.

Steve

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah but even still, the runner should have hit the dirt or barreled into the catcher instead of just giving up like that.

Steve

I was thinking the same thing. You have to make the catcher try and hold onto the ball, not play footsie with him.

Reaction score
Damn, Herandez does it again. Can't Gibby see what everyone can? DH is only good for BP for the other team. When Gib puts him in a game, he has conceded the game. I can't believe he hasn't been released or tied to the bumper of a slow bus to Reno or Mobile. He can't be traded as he has no value.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. You have to make the catcher try and hold onto the ball, not play footsie with him.

He's probably out no matter what he does but yeah, you absolutely have to make the effort. Bases loaded, no outs, heart of the order and we only get one run out of it. Very disappointing.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He's probably out no matter what he does but yeah, you absolutely have to make the effort. Bases loaded, no outs, heart of the order and we only get one run out of it. Very disappointing.

Steve
The grit is gone! :(

And for D'backs fans, in the words of BB King, the thrill is gone.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
14 earned runs in the last 12 and a half innings for Hernandez. So freaking sick of him. That 8th inning had so much promise. Damn.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barreling over the catcher when you're beaten by three strides as opposed to a bang bang play is a good way to start a brawl.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Barreling over the catcher when you're beaten by three strides as opposed to a bang bang play is a good way to start a brawl.

There's nothing with a good brawl now and again, it sets the tone that you will not be messed with.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
There's nothing with a good brawl now and again, it sets the tone that you will not be messed with.

Maybe but running into the catcher when you're out by 10 feet is just lame.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, Herandez does it again. Can't Gibby see what everyone can? DH is only good for BP for the other team. When Gib puts him in a game, he has conceded the game. I can't believe he hasn't been released or tied to the bumper of a slow bus to Reno or Mobile. He can't be traded as he has no value.

Ditto!!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe but running into the catcher when you're out by 10 feet is just lame.

10 feet? It was more like a stride, maybe a stride and a half. Even the BOSTON announcers were surprised he didn't try to knock the ball loose.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
10 feet? It was more like a stride, maybe a stride and a half. Even the BOSTON announcers were surprised he didn't try to knock the ball loose.

Steve

He actually caught the ball a split second before I could get this still.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 96

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
That was a terrible idea trying to send Pennington home.

They could have had bases loaded & no outs with Goldschmidt coming up. Would have forced them to make decent pitches or face walking in the game-tying run. Absolutely stupid trying to force the issue.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
That was a terrible idea trying to send Pennington home.

They could have had bases loaded & no outs with Goldschmidt coming up. Would have forced them to make decent pitches or face walking in the game-tying run. Absolutely stupid trying to force the issue.

If they had held him Chavez's fly probably would have scored the run. At the very least they would have had 2 chances with 2 of our best hitters coming up and no outs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Shut out again.
Steve said that the D'backs have run into tough pitchers.

Diplomatic, Steve. But how about 'opposing pitchers have run into weak hitters who can't drive in runners on base more than one game a week'?

We need a healthy big bopper for cleanup (and it's not Miggy)! And to remove one of the outfielders. Then the rest of the batting order could fall into place.