Dbacks set to make Foulke offer

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
D-Backs set to make Foulke offer

Nick Piecoro
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 23, 2008 11:25 PM
Representatives from more than 20 teams watched former major league reliever Keith Foulke throw off a mound last week in Tempe. The Diamondbacks were among them, and they seem to have been adequately impressed to pursue the former All-Star closer.

The Diamondbacks have spoken with Foulke's agent in recent days and appear poised to make an offer to the right-hander - if they haven't done so already.

Foulke, who is attempting a return to the majors after not pitching last season, was one of baseball's best relievers from 1999 to 2004 before injuries sidetracked his career.

Over the past several years, he has had knee, back and elbow problems. He walked away from a $5 million contract with Cleveland in 2007, retiring before reporting to spring training because, he said, his body wasn't responding as it had in previous years.

But Foulke, 35, has been on the comeback trail since undergoing surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow in September.

Pitching for the Diamondbacks appears to be a preference for Foulke. He resides in Glendale and has connections to the team; GM Josh Byrnes and assistant GM Peter Woodfork came from Boston, where Foulke pitched from 2004-2006.

"Yeah, definitely they are one of his top choices," said Dan Horwits, Foulke's agent. "If it works out, he would love to pitch there. There are other teams he is interested in as well, but Arizona is on the top of the list."

Foulke threw last Thursday at a training facility in Tempe. According to two people who were there, Foulke looked healthy, his arm action clean, his secondary pitches good.

His fastball was in the 81-84 mph range. Foulke has long relied on his change-up, but he would probably need to add more velocity. That could come during spring training, as it does for many pitchers as they work their arms into shape. Foulke pitched successfully in the past with a fastball that sat around 88 or 89 mph.

The Diamondbacks likely won't offer more than a one-year contract, envisioning Foulke not as one of their primary late-inning relievers but as a bridge to those pitchers, a role that Bob Wickman filled last September.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0123dbfoulke0124.html

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Low risk, high reward K's are hard not to like with our current depth. Although I doubt he even makes the roster out of spring training with that fastball.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Foulke is one of the biggest mental cases out there and he's wearing down physically. I agree with Mao, I highly doubt he makes the roster

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Foulke can make this team. He was one of the main reasons the Red Sox won it in 2004. Pitching in Boston can make anyone turn into a headcase. Pitching in Arizona would be night & day. I think with all the guys who throw hard in the bullpen, Foulke would be a nice change of pace.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
An 82 mph fastball is an 82 mph fastball. I don't care if he's the most mentally strong or weak pitcher in the game, that kind of soft stuff is going to end up in TGI Friday's no matter where his head is at.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An 82 mph fastball is an 82 mph fastball. I don't care if he's the most mentally strong or weak pitcher in the game, that kind of soft stuff is going to end up in TGI Friday's no matter where his head is at.

He never was a hard thrower. His main pitch is his sinker. I say give the guy a shot. If he makes the team he brings a lot of experience.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Does Trevor Hoffman even hit 80 MPH?

I don't think Hoffman can break glass yet he gets guys out. Sandwich this guy between Cruz and Pena and people will be wrapping the bat around their necks.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yech. Just say no. Didn't we learn anything with Randy Johnson.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yech. Just say no. Didn't we learn anything with Randy Johnson.

Low risk, high reward...we're not talking about a power pitcher like Randy either, this guy uses his change more than anything else. Why not?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low risk, high reward...we're not talking about a power pitcher like Randy either, this guy uses his change more than anything else. Why not?

Well, since you challenge me on this, it's because I really don't know anything about Foulke or who is or is not a good risk, I just wanted an excuse to take a shot at Randy Johnson, who I irrationaly dislike.

What I know about baseball is negligible but I'm learning.

Egads, can't a guy take a cheap shot at a player around here, without being met with calm logic? Sheesh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort