Davonte Neal Debacle

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Is an hour late to his own press conference where he was supposedly going to announce his decision. He wants to go to Arizona and was set to announce such, but at the last minute his Dad stepped in and is now persuading him to go to Notre Dame and that's why he has not arrived. Maverick Carter must be behind this.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
His dad has had his hands way too far in the cookie jar this entire recruting journey. I would hate for Davonte to make a decision based off of his dad's values and not his own. Davonte wanted UofA, let him go to Tucson and just be supportive.

Talk about living vicariously though your own child. Ugh...

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
His dad has sounded like a disaster from the beginning. Maybe better that he goes to Notre Dame...

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
People are going to rip Neal for no-showing (and some of that is justified), but even if he did show what was he going to do? Sign the LOI then explain how his signature means absolutely nothing since his Dad refuses to sign one for anybody not named Notre Dame?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point you have to let your child make their own adult decisions. And Id guess that college is the first one they should be able to make. Is his dad gonna make every grown decision for him the rest of his life?

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Blame lies on Davonte too for sure. But I like to put the lion's share on the adult in these types of situations. Especially when the adult sees his own flesh and blood as a meal ticket rather than a person.

TJ

Reaction score
Apparently, Davonte went as far as to give his verbal commitment to UofA and his dad said "no."

I nominate Luke Neal for 2012 Worst Parent of the Year

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Reminds me of the kid who wanted to play basketball at UA, but his dad basically forced him to go to Minnesota (I think that was the scenario). Needless to say, the kid's college career went in the toilet.

I can see Davonte's career going the same way. Too bad.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Apparently, Davonte went as far as to give his verbal commitment to UofA and his dad said "no."

I nominate Luke Neal for 2012 Worst Parent of the Year

What a terrible story. I feel bad for Davonte. What kind of parent does that to his kid? :(

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Now that this is settled the bigger story for this board still looming is how Rich Rod managed to lose out on this recruitment. Not saying end of the world or anything, but certainly not a good sign moving forward.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Now that this is settled the bigger story for this board still looming is how Rich Rod managed to lose out on this recruitment. Not saying end of the world or anything, but certainly not a good sign moving forward.

How is one instance an example of a trend? You realize that Sean Miller is the exception to the rule? Things take time.

TJ

Reaction score

I pin zero blame on Rich Rod for this fiasco. Davonte wanted to go to the UofA and made that decision a while ago. This is why he chose not to declare on Feb. 1st; he wanted to do more research on Arizona and RichRod and ensure it was the right fit for him. But, his dad feverishly tried to change his mind and, according to reports, would only sign ND's LOI. So when push came to shove, dad the Puppet Master got his wish.

This is more of a reflection of a man controlling his son's every move and living vicariously through him. Sounds kind of like a Todd Marinovich type situation.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

In the end Luke Neal probably had a lot to do with Neal to ND. Rumors on Scout & Rivals is was Rich Rod that Neal called a few days ago to tell him he was going to UA. Other rumors are that Luke refused to sign Devonte's LOI but if he wanted to go to UA couldn't his mom have signed for him?

ASU obviously benefits from this, but maybe UA benefits too as this whole media ******* debacle makes Neal look like headcase and this may be a blessing in disguise.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't this a movie starring Jesus Shuttlesworth?

TJ

Reaction score
In the end Luke Neal probably had a lot to do with Neal to ND. Rumors on Scout & Rivals is was Rich Rod that Neal called a few days ago to tell him he was going to UA. Other rumors are that Luke refused to sign Devonte's LOI but if he wanted to go to UA couldn't his mom have signed for him?

ASU obviously benefits from this, but maybe UA benefits too as this whole media ******* debacle makes Neal look like headcase and this may be a blessing in disguise.

Considering how much of a control freak Luke is, I don't think this was as option. I'm sure Luke has the same stronghold on his wife as he does his son. This would have caused WWIII in the Neal household.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain the mother and Neal even live together. Kito moved out here from Akron only after Davonte decided to live with his father, but I don't think it was a romantic reconciliation. As far as I can tell, the mother has simply given father free reign over the situation.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not trying to start anything here, but come on guys.. I get that UofA love blinds logic, but given the choice of Tucson where he would be on primetime national tv maybe once or twice a year or south bend where you get 10x that amount at least..

Not that far fetched to see a parent push for the most exposure of his kid...

I mean take it one level down.. Say there was a kid who had offers from NAU and UofA and he had the talent to someday be in the NFL, but he said he was going to still choose NAU.. Couldnt you see a dad saying whoa, nope wrong choice, your going to a program that will give you the best chance to succeed...

Same thing happend here..

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Not trying to start anything here, but come on guys.. I get that UofA love blinds logic, but given the choice of Tucson where he would be on primetime national tv maybe once or twice a year or south bend where you get 10x that amount at least..

Not that far fetched to see a parent push for the most exposure of his kid...

I mean take it one level down.. Say there was a kid who had offers from NAU and UofA and he had the talent to someday be in the NFL, but he said he was going to still choose NAU.. Couldnt you see a dad saying whoa, nope wrong choice, your going to a program that will give you the best chance to succeed...

Same thing happend here..

Do you say this when local kids pick schools over ASU, a program barely better if not very similar in stature to UA?

NAU is an awful example by the way, they are an FCS school.

How is one instance an example of a trend? You realize that Sean Miller is the exception to the rule? Things take time.
I agree and his recruiting prowess should ultimately be judged on the 2013 class and not this one. However 10th in the Pac-12 in recruiting is 10th in the Pac-12. It needs to improve especially since all of a sudden in addition to the usual USC and Oregon recruiting powerhouses; Stanford, UCLA, and Washington seem to have joined that list.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Do you say this when local kids pick schools over ASU, a program barely better if not very similar in stature to UA?

Actually no, players spurn ASU for the Notre Dame/Texas/USC's of the world all the time. Not surprised at all. It's more surprising when top talent actually decides to stay in state.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Actually no, players spurn ASU for the Notre Dame/Texas/USC's of the world all the time. Not surprised at all. It's more surprising when top talent actually decides to stay in state.

EXACTLY..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson