David Johnson left for dead

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Zeem_Freeze, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze Registered

don’t you do it Cardinals fans!! I think he might surprise us this year.

Drake and a resurgent DJ might combine to be the best 1-2 combo in the NFL next year

2. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

Not much of an option for DJ, we pay him to pay or we pay him to leave. Either way we pay him.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  3. SeattleCard

SeattleCard Back in Arizona!!!

He was so slow last year. I hold out little hope for a change in 2020

Skipper1111, Cardinal, Minski and 2 others like this.
  4. iLLmatiC

iLLmatiC Drive-by Poster

He ran scared not wanting to get hit.

5. JosiahLee

JosiahLee Registered

My top 3 most frustrating cards players ever:

1. D Wash
    2. Honey Badger
    3. David Johnson

There’s nothing more frustrating than players who flash greatness but don’t sustain it...DJ has all the physical tools to succeed in this league, we’ve seen it...My only explanation is there must be a psychological issue that has led to his decline in play...We’ve all speculated on what that could be:

A) He got paid and is no longer motivated
    B) He doesn’t trust his body to stay healthy therefore he doesn’t run like he previously did
    C) As a husband and father, maybe he’s thinking about his long term future and is making business decisions.

All that to say as much as I’d love to believe he’ll come out with the biggest chip on his shoulder and he the DJ of ‘16...There’s zero evidence to believe it.

6. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

If he's here, I hope he produces. I do think his has ability if used to his strengths and a backfield of Drake, Murray and DJ is scary for defenses.

But, I have no expectations

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

mjb21aztd, daves and Cardsfaninlouky like this.
  7. Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach Bye Bye DJ

Exactly. I expect him to get paid a fortune to contribute nothing. If he adds anything to the team in terms of weaponry, I will be pleasantly surprised. Not a good situation for the franchise

Zeem_Freeze and Cardsfaninlouky like this.
  8. dscher

dscher Registered

He done. Lol. I think his only saving grace will be to hone his craft as a h back on special downs and situations. His hands are still an asset imo

9. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

It's been said that he didn't pick up the offense, slow learner so to speak. Kind of funny that KD picked it up right from day 1. I hope we can make a trade happen by paying a portion of his salary. Not too big of a portion otherwise we may as well just keep him for emergency purposes. Highly unlikely a team will be willing to trade for him though but stranger things have happened. Worst case scenario, we keep him & get 4-5 TD receptions out of him, then cut him in 2021 with an easier cap hit. Hopefully SK learned something with his contract? Stop backloading money, get all the guaranteed money paid up front during the first 2 seasons. This will make it easier to release players for a little of nothing after not performing the first 2 yrs. Then again, hopefully he stops signing & drafting players that don't work out? Then again, I'm talking about SK so all bets are off lol.

10. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Lol. David Johnson has been garbage for two straight seasons — and the season before he was the guy we’ve seen the last two seasons, but for just 3 quarters.

he’s been embarrassing longer than he was good at this point. Time to turn the page.

itlnsunsfan, Southpaw and juza76 like this.
  11. jmt

jmt Registered

Yeah being a nice guy doesn’t cut it after two plus seasons of crappy play.

Skipper1111 likes this.
  12. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

Disappointing for sure, but 1386 yards and 10 TDs in 2018's execrable offense, being run repeatedly into the middle of the line, was hardly "embarrassing".

...dbs

Solar7, wa52lz, Cardiac and 5 others like this.
  13. BritCard

BritCard Registered

One of the problems with DJ was that he was always an older back and he was only ever going to get a 2nd contract, a 3rd is unlikely for most backs.

Once he got that G money well, he was getting paid whether he played all out or played safe.

The only hope of him playing well this year is ego. What happened with Drake would be a kick in the ego for anyone, I actually think that's the main reason the brought Drake in. A 6th they likely don't need to show DJ he isn't the only game in town.

There are two hopes for DJ this year.

1) The ego thing as explained above
    2) The 2nd year with the playbook

I get the distinct impression DJ doesn't have much between his ears when it comes to learning plays. He has only been great in his 2nd year with BA's playbook. He struggled with year 1 McCoy and year 1 Kliff.

If he decides to stop phoning it in and gets the playbook down there is a chance.

I'm not sure they will sign Drake. I think they might wait to see DJ at camp and if it's not there see what they have in Edmonds or pick up someone late. There will be a bunch of cap and draft casualties at RB.

JosiahLee, daves and CardNots like this.
  14. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

41st in YPA is embarrassing at that salary. No one could say he was effective that year.

SoCal Cardfan likes this.
  15. speedy

speedy the medic

Think back to his first year- he had limited touches the first 10 games, but scored on many of those limited touches. He was only thrust into action after CJ broke his leg. Everyone was shouting for BA to use him more, but if CJ wasn’t hurt, BA would have just given him spot duties all season long. I think there is probably some credence to what your saying in that area.

daves likes this.