Damned agents

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this morning's Az Republic, Rod Graves let slip a little gem that's not too difficult to interpret.

The Cardinals have more room under the salary cap, about $34 million, than any other team but have not yet signed a free agent.

One problem, Graves said, is that the Cardinals have gotten close to a deal, only to have another team sign a player at the same position. That's prompted agents to think their clients' worth had increased because there were fewer players available.

Looking at the recent signings, our needs, and our recent FA visits, that quote can only mean that Graves thought he had a deal with a DT/DE or a WR. I interpret that as Holiday, Okeafor, or Martay Jenkins.

Time will tell.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Skkorp. I hope the free agent signings slow down somewhat (unless it's the Cards doing the signing), and the prices come down to real worth.<p> Snyder started this whole frenzy feeding.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
In this morning's Az Republic, Rod Graves let slip a little gem that's not too difficult to interpret.

Real easy to interpret, "Daddy Bowtie wants to wait for someone less expensive. Be patient."

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really a shame that we have to wait until there is no competition to get FA's to sign. Why is that? Are we really the last choice for FA's? Even our own?

If those FA's have signed elsewhere it is probably due to other reasons. Money can not be one of them because we have more space than anyone. Could it be our offers? The fact we gave away the #1 FA WR? No pass rush. A Coach who has less years on his contract than his OC?

I think the Graves statement maybe more evidence that, all things being equal, FA's will choose another team over the Cards. (As talked about in a recent thread in this forum). It's not like we are contending year after year and everyone loves to play for, root for, and work for a winner.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
I think the Graves statement maybe more evidence that, all things being equal, FA's will choose another team over the Cards.
I disagree. Graves is saying that they a deal in place with player A for X amount, but then player B signed somewhere, making player A think he's worth more than X. It has nothing to do with player A wanting to play elsewhere. It has to do with player A making more money.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. But if Player A has an offer from us why are they not jumping at it to play here?

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Because they feel like they are worth more money all of a sudden. Anyone would wait to sign if they felt their value just went up.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the deals that have gone down, I see these 2 players as the ones graves is talking about recently sigining deals.

Thorton

Spikes

These two guys just signed with teams. Thorton got 3.75 million. I don't know what spikes got.

However since many have been reporting that colvin will get around 4mill a year, since thorton got 3.75, colvin might decide to wait for more. (even though they play different positions)

Or it could involve holliday (who was seeking around 3 a year), or okefor.

Holliday would definately be worth the thorton contract, but he was possibly ready to sign for 3-3.5 a year. Thorton probably screwed us.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I would guess it has more to do with the contract that Plummer signed then anything else, we have a deal for Stewart and I'm sure he wants more based on what Jake signed for.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Could it have been Plummer's contract and Kordell wanting the same money?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Could it have been Plummer's contract and Kordell wanting the same money?

I hope not, Kordell isn't even worth 1/2 that...But neither is plummer.

I hope we don't get Kordell, but if we do it MUST be 3.0 mill or under a season for 4 years or less.

Anything more would be a mistake imo.

azdeftone

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
3 mil a year for 4 years !!! F**K that you are crazy!! We should not even look at him for that kind of dough unless most of it was incentive based and NOT gauranteed!!

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
I get the impression that Thornton, Holliday, and Stewart are trying to use the Cardinals as leverage for contract negotiations with other teams. Especially the way Thornton visted here Friday morning and signed with the Bengals Friday night. The Bengals have even signed a few free agents already which surprises me.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
It's really a shame that we have to wait until there is no competition to get FA's to sign. Why is that? Are we really the last choice for FA's? Even our own?

If those FA's have signed elsewhere it is probably due to other reasons. Money can not be one of them because we have more space than anyone. Could it be our offers? The fact we gave away the #1 FA WR? No pass rush. A Coach who has less years on his contract than his OC?

I think the Graves statement maybe more evidence that, all things being equal, FA's will choose another team over the Cards. (As talked about in a recent thread in this forum). It's not like we are contending year after year and everyone loves to play for, root for, and work for a winner.

I would most certainly think we are the last choice for Free Agents. Most of these guys want to win. We do not even have a QB and have signed no one. The longer this goes on the worse it gets as the good FA's get picked off one by one. Yes we are saving a lot of money by not overpaying but you cannot win games with money in Bidwills bank account. We are going to have to overpay and probably overpay big to get a Colvin or Stewart in here. These guys do not play in a place because of the weather.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sorry that Graves is being derailed by other signings. But they pay him good money to (a) know how the game is being played, (b) adapt to any new rules and then (c) prevail.

Complaining that the rules have changed doesn't cut it. He's going to have to deal with reality.

Pay them the money!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Houdini
I get the impression that Thornton, Holliday, and Stewart are trying to use the Cardinals as leverage for contract negotiations with other teams. Especially the way Thornton visted here Friday morning and signed with the Bengals Friday night. The Bengals have even signed a few free agents already which surprises me.

I'm NOT surprised by the Bengals' signings. They aren't signing because it's Cincy, those guys are signing because Marvin Lewis is the head coach. When they were deciding on whether to hire Mac after Tobin was fired, I advocated Lewis, Willingham or Cottrell as the next coach because that would give us a badly needed edge with some free agents. Black players are very aware of how black coaches are being shorted, I think given the chance, if the money is good, they will sign with a Lewis before a McGinnis or a Coughlin.

See, the Cardinals main problem is perception. That's why I'm for signing Smith. Not because he's a better running back than Shipp. He isn't. Anymore. But, he'll give us some badly needed legitimacy in the eyes of other free agents and the fans. How can Emmitt Smith saying, "I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe we could win. I think this team is better than the Dallas team I was drafted onto. It's headed in the right direction." Stuff like that would be priceless for this team. Emmitt is respected league wide. Something we sorely lack and really need if we ever expect to get over the hump. Would Emmitt alone be enough? No. But it'd be a huge step in the right direction.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
That's what Graves,the savior,gets for waiting 24-48 hours to do checks.By the way,he just saying he doesn't want to pay market price and that what's it is.Plummer set the market for Qb's,Boston for WR's.But Graves thinks they should sign here for the value HE places on them.Face it,we're not getting anybody.