Cuonzo Martin leaves Cal for Missouri

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loses to CSU-Bakersfield in opening round of NIT, then bails.

His first head coaching job was at Missouri State.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Michael Porter Sr., father of 2017 #2 overall recruit Michael Porter Jr., leaves Washington for Missouri as asst coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loses to CSU-Bakersfield in opening round of NIT, then bails.

His first head coaching job was at Missouri State.

I don't defend him he's not a good coach but I think lots of teams would lose if they played without their 2 best players knowing their coach was about to leave.

The weird thing is the reports he had an offer from Illinois too and chose Missouri. I was born in Missouri, raised in California from 18 months old. but I think even I would take Illinois over Missouri right now, not only is it less of a rebuild, they pay more, they are allegedly mulling over offering Tony Bennett close to 5 million per year.

Call me a skeptic but when I see stuff like that I wonder does he simply think there's less expectation to win at Missouri so he'll last longer, or did he take the Missouri job entirely because of Porter?

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't defend him he's not a good coach but I think lots of teams would lose if they played without their 2 best players knowing their coach was about to leave.

The weird thing is the reports he had an offer from Illinois too and chose Missouri. I was born in Missouri, raised in California from 18 months old. but I think even I would take Illinois over Missouri right now, not only is it less of a rebuild, they pay more, they are allegedly mulling over offering Tony Bennett close to 5 million per year.

Call me a skeptic but when I see stuff like that I wonder does he simply think there's less expectation to win at Missouri so he'll last longer, or did he take the Missouri job entirely because of Porter?

Yeah, that is a head scratcher

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think I'd choose seppuku vs coaching at those two abortions of a program. Ewwwww.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'd choose seppuku vs coaching at those two abortions of a program. Ewwwww.

Missouri was good a long time ago, Sunvold days, Ricky Frazier etc.

But they've had so much bad since then, plus probation and scandal etc. Not a good job.

Illinois has always looked great because of the Chicago hotbed of recruiting there but I'm not sure that's even as good as it was before.

Of the 2 I would take Illinois in a heartbeat as a job. But personally I couldn't take the cold winters there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison