Coyotes 09-10 Season Thread

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
instead of starting a thread after every victory, we should just run a season thread

through the first 5 games I think the coyotes have looked pretty good

they have some good speed, good discipline and bryz is looking better (a lot of that has to do with the play in front of him being more consistent helping him know where the puck will be coming from)

the passing needs improvement and the PP could use a big boost - the PK looks much improved though

I went to the home opener and it was a lot of fun, but a big opportunity lost

someone should of dropped the gloves in the 2nd period - i know a lot of diehards will cringe at that, but with a full barn and playing a little bit off in a close game a lot of the attendence would of been super riled up by it and it's an exciting part of the game that "new fans" like

one mistake by doan and a couple inches was a big difference in that game .... even if it would of went into OT I think the fans would of been excited by 4-4 and a shoot out

also going 0-7 in front of the home crowd including two 5-3 PPs and a 4 minute double minor are going to send the crowd home grumbling

it was almost a worse case scenario type of game for them

it doesn't diminish the good they have done though

they've beat the defending cup champs, the defending presidents trophy champs both on the road - they also have given the kings their only loss in the 1st 5 games and played the 2-0-1 sabres very tough on the road the day after the pens game and at the end of a 3 game opening cross country trip

and columbus isn't terrible - they're 3-1 with their loss coming at SJ

so there is a lot of positive out there - i think the work king and tippet are doing will pay off

i also like how they are broadcasting some games in HD on FSN, the cross promotions in the stadium with XTRA 910, the pointed advertising so far and the hockey 101 segments and the "tell-us-strader" segment

definitely targeting a developing fan base

It's a long season and the yotes need to take care of business against teams like the wild, stars & preds this year while winning the matchups against the kings as they are both bubble teams in the same division

i'm optimistic though and even though I'm a sharks die hard the 'yotes have my backing 99.9% of the way - i'm really pulling for them here

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Good post, particularly giving credit to King and Tippett. I think Sean Burke is probably responsible for at least some of the improvement in Bryzgalov, too.

I've been very pleased with how they've been playing and hope they can put together a solid season.

Oh, and I am loving watching the games in HD. They barely got the deal signed before the season began, but I finally have a tv that can handle HD and it makes a huge difference. I used to doubt how much better it was, but now I complain that my Center Ice games are not in HD. I think hockey benefits more than any other sport from HD.

OP
OP
MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
as do I

i've had center ice for many years and last year was the first where most teams went to HD for their broadcasts - for some reason I couldn't get a lot of the canadian feeds in HD and most of the local feeds weren't

it drove me nuts - after watching a game in HD and then flipping to an AZ7 broadcast, it was just painful

I think HD also helps them shoot the game a little bit better - they can keep the zoom off and follow the play kind of like they can do in basketball since with the HD picture you can still grab the puck and see some of the details without a hard zoom right on it

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great game last night. I was flipping back and forth and watched the entire 3rd period, OT and shootout. I have been so impressed with the defense. Tippett is such an upgrade over Wayne. I dislike the Stars but have always liked Tippett. It was not his fault that Dallas had a lot of injuries last year. He definitely has made Bryz look like an All-Star goalie. Now we just need Doan and company to score more goals. They have had chances but they are due for an explosion.

One question, does anyone know why Boedker has not played that much?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Boedker, but I know some people think that he does not get a lot of ice time because he is young and Tippett is not yet comfortable putting him in important situations. Sounds reasonable, I guess.

I have also read some opinions that Boedker should be on a line with Lombardi and Upshall. Best wishes to the cameramen trying to follow that line!

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Season has started great. The offense was solid for the first two games, but then the Coyotes have struggled to find the net in the past three games. Defense has been solid all season.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Not to put too much importance on one game, but if you look at the standings, the Penguins are leading the league at 6-1. Pretty big accomplishment for the Coyotes, I think.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Upshal scored a 3rd period goal and now the Coyotes and Blues head into overtime. Nice to se Doan score a goal. Hopefully they can win it in overtime and not have to go to a shootout again.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jovanovski scores and the Coyotes win but wait, the officials are looking it over. Looks like a goal to me.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Jovanovski scores and the Coyotes win but wait, the officials are looking it over. Looks like a goal to me.

"Come on, you effing prick!"

Fox Sports Management --> :bang:

OP
OP
MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
didn't catch that quote - who dropped it?

was a nice win for sure though and nice to see them get a couple sloppy goals

the team needs to learn that everyone that hits the net counts and at times it's just as well to throw the puck to the net, crash and hope for the best

defenses and goalies are too good and while you can get the occasional perfect storm goal, a lot of times you need to try and create chaos and score the slop

was nice to hear them talk about how they've been practicing taking bad angle shots towards the far pad, hoping to force a rebound up the middle to a charging player ......... that's how many goals are scored ...... if you are going to be forced to the corner, lose possession, etc ..... have a play setup where you have at least a chance

and next time you have a 5-3 don't just let them hang out in a box and spend 30 seconds passing on the edges ...... you have 2 guys up - put one in front of the goalie and have another ready to crash and just fire the thing in there, get their 3 scrambling and use your advantage - just be aggressive and attack - they did a bad job at this in the first home game, hopefully as time goes on they'll get some touch

i think they'll get it figured out

also I really like what guys like lombardi and upshall bring as far as a quick counter threat

mueller needs to do better when he works himself into that position

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
That was Jovanovski while he was waiting for his goal to be reviewed. It was pretty funny to hear, but he seemed pretty mad.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
great win, COYOTES ARE GOOD (note: i have very little hockey knowledge, but this team is making me gain interest in the sport)

OP
OP
MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
if local, get out to a game - there a lot of fun

if a weeknight it's a great time to hit a happy hour at westgate and then wander into the games

hockey is by far my favorite live sport

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Was at the game last night, goooood times!

Lets start winning them in regulation though ok boys?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boedker was sent down to San Antonio. I'm kind of bummed because I thought he could help the offense. He is very young so maybe getting a lot more playing time will help him. Hopefully he will be recalled soon. Talking about being recalled, the Coyotes brought up Kevin Porter.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Boedker was sent down to San Antonio. I'm kind of bummed because I thought he could help the offense. He is very young so maybe getting a lot more playing time will help him. Hopefully he will be recalled soon. Talking about being recalled, the Coyotes brought up Kevin Porter.

I think Porter has had 7 points in 4 games with the Rampage.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't see the game but the Coyotes beat up the Bruins 4-1. This is a great start and hopefully the community will support them.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Didn't see the game but the Coyotes beat up the Bruins 4-1. This is a great start and hopefully the community will support them.

I watched it through the Boston feed on the Center Ice free preview (free preview a couple weeks into the season - nice!). The team was sharp and in control for the majority of the game. Two power play goals with great passing. A cannon of a slap shot on top of the left circle by Upshall to get the 4th goal 44 seconds after the 3rd! Catch that highlight if you can. Unfortunately it seemed as though the crowd was very sparse again. Too bad, as the team really looks solid at this point. 10 points after 7 games.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
This team is good! I'll probably make it to the game vs. the Red Wings this week with a friend and then to another one with the ASU Sports Business Association. Love getting free tix and am excited to see the Coyotes in action. Haven't been to a game in years

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. These Coyotes are for real this season. The defense is amazing. The Coyotes have the lowest goals against average in the NHL allowing only 10 goals in 7 games.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
A cannon of a slap shot on top of the left circle by Upshall to get the 4th goal 44 seconds after the 3rd! Catch that highlight if you can.

That was such a great shot. He just blasted it and put it in the perfect spot. Sweet.

I'm really excited about/for this team. :yotes:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coyotes are down 2-1 with 5 minutes to go. Lang had a chance to tie the game a minute ago, he had an open net but he could not get control of the puck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson