Could this be the worst?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although I truly hope it is not the case, it seems that this year could be as bad a year as ever for the Cardinals. That is saying alot for me as I attended my first Card game in "67".

They have lost all their receivers. That is a neat trick even for the Cards management.

A pitiful defense has not been improved much at all. Still no DL. Without a rush it doesn't matter who is in the secondary.

They sign Emmitt when RB was clearly not one of the biggest problems. I love Shipp and he was only going to get better.

OK, we have a draft that may net at best 2 starters. Most likely they will still take time to develop.

No matter how I look at it 3 wins is the most I can see. We will be drafting high next year for sure.

All that money available and this is the best they could do? Truly disgraceful but not at all surprising as it just never ends with this team.

That said, I will still be following the draft closely and getting my hopes up. Will be all excited for the opener. Still a Cards fan no matter what.

I just love this team. I must be crazy.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
albeit one drenched and baptised in negativity this fine Easter Sunday.

pinnacle

Reaction score
So far..I think we will be equal to or better than last season - unless injuries are comparable or worse than last season - reasons:

1. The many starters who missed time last season will be back and should contribute more (other than boston). If we have as many injuries as last season..yea..we may be worse..
2. we get better if we do 2 things: turn the ball over less on offense and create more turnovers on defense..We just improved our qb situation and will have less turnovers from that all important position.. Jury is still out if we can create more turnovers on defense - at stage it does not look good - but we have the draft and hopefully some players (johnson, bryant) can improve.
3. Only significant losses from last season were at the receiver position...but sanders and martay can be replaced..and boston did not contribute last season - so over last year things are not as worse as they seem on paper (losing top 3 receivers). Sanders and martay were also injured last season..

OP
OP
P

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually, I am not normally that pessimistic. I stuck with Jake and had several battles over the years on the old board about Jake and the Cards.

I just can't see anything but a disaster for this year. Is any team in worst shape than us at the WR position. Are we going to fill our needs there with other teams rejects? Is it safe to say several college teams have better receivers than we do?

Convince me otherwise please. Looks like a train wreck from my vantage point.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It appears to me that the Cards have put together an offense that should be good.
They have the talent in place to be primarily a power running team. They've added a monster fullback, hopefully the O-line should be healthy and ready to roll, and with Blake they have a QB that is known for his great long ball abilities.
Sullivan seems to like his young receivers, and I think they are good enough that they will get the job done.
I don't see the Cards having to rely on the passing game as much as they have in the past. Apparantly they are looking to establish ball control and possession with the running game first.
And use their receivers to stretch the field and maybe even break a few big ones, which I consider to be gravy.....the primary plan being simply to use the deep routes to counter and prevent the other teams defense stacking the box to try to stop the run.
Everything points to them being a ball control team with the running game being first priority, thusly also helping the defense by controlling the clock and time of possession.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
It appears to me that the Cards have put together an offense that should be good.
They have the talent in place to be primarily a power running team. They've added a monster fullback, hopefully the O-line should be healthy and ready to roll, and with Blake they have a QB that is known for his great long ball abilities.
Sullivan seems to like his young receivers, and I think they are good enough that they will get the job done.
I don't see the Cards having to rely on the passing game as much as they have in the past. Apparantly they are looking to establish ball control and possession with the running game first.
And use their receivers to stretch the field and maybe even break a few big ones, which I consider to be gravy.....the primary plan being simply to use the deep routes to counter and prevent the other teams defense stacking the box to try to stop the run.
Everything points to them being a ball control team with the running game being first priority, thusly also helping the defense by controlling the clock and time of possession.
<p>My sentiments exactly Tango. The Cards will have one hell of a running game this coming season and use the passing game to keep their opponents honest. I think that will translate into a lot more wins than last season---my prediction: 10 wins - 6 losses.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by 40yearfan
<p>My sentiments exactly Tango. The Cards will have one hell of a running game this coming season and use the passing game to keep their opponents honest. I think that will translate into a lot more wins than last season---my prediction: 10 wins - 6 losses.

I admire you half-full types on this board. I don't think that the situation is nearly as dire as PJ1 feels, but I suspect he's hitting the panic button a little hard during a jelly-bean hangover.

But, to say that, as the team stands now, the Cards are going to be far better than last year is kind of a joke. Accuse DB or Sanders or Mar Tay of not doing anything last year all you want, but after DB left in Week 8 (he barely played in Week 9, and was hurt), the Cards went 1-8. The QB'll be different in 2003, but the WRs for the most part will be the same guys that made no impact whatsoever in 2002.

To say that the Cards can succeed this season as a power running team flies in the face of the evidence of the past two seasons. The book on the Cards for the past three years is that they should be a power running team (to take advantage of their talented but overrated [on this board] O-line), and stretch the field with talented WRs like DB and Mar Tay. What happened? Drives would peter out after 30 yards, we'd have to punt, and by the third quarter we'd be down by 24 and have to start throwing because the D couldn't stop anyone. I see little that has been accomplished this offseason to suggest that we've done anything to change this.

The greatest example of the folly of suggesting that the Cards are now a power running game is the Week 13 tilt vs. KC. Everyone knew that Shipp was going to have a huge day against the last-ranked D in the NFL. The WRs that day were Poole and McAddley. Marcel Shipp exploded for 26 yards that day, and the Cards laid a goose egg with their 0 points and 122 total yards.

How does this suggest that we can do 10-6 this year?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well, before we all hit the panic button on the season, everyone has to consider that our offensive line will be healthy, we have a new QB who minimizes mistakes, our defense should have a few more guys in there who can make an impact after the draft, and come tomorrow, we may even have a WR who could prove to be a steal if he checks out health-wise. Coupled with a new approach on offense, this team could certainly improve upon last year.

--Solar

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
I admire you half-full types on this board. I don't think that the situation is nearly as dire as PJ1 feels, but I suspect he's hitting the panic button a little hard during a jelly-bean hangover.

But, to say that, as the team stands now, the Cards are going to be far better than last year is kind of a joke. Accuse DB or Sanders or Mar Tay of not doing anything last year all you want, but after DB left in Week 8 (he barely played in Week 9, and was hurt), the Cards went 1-8. The QB'll be different in 2003, but the WRs for the most part will be the same guys that made no impact whatsoever in 2002.

To say that the Cards can succeed this season as a power running team flies in the face of the evidence of the past two seasons. The book on the Cards for the past three years is that they should be a power running team (to take advantage of their talented but overrated [on this board] O-line), and stretch the field with talented WRs like DB and Mar Tay. What happened? Drives would peter out after 30 yards, we'd have to punt, and by the third quarter we'd be down by 24 and have to start throwing because the D couldn't stop anyone. I see little that has been accomplished this offseason to suggest that we've done anything to change this.

The greatest example of the folly of suggesting that the Cards are now a power running game is the Week 13 tilt vs. KC. Everyone knew that Shipp was going to have a huge day against the last-ranked D in the NFL. The WRs that day were Poole and McAddley. Marcel Shipp exploded for 26 yards that day, and the Cards laid a goose egg with their 0 points and 122 total yards.

How does this suggest that we can do 10-6 this year?

With or without Boston we still would've lost most of those games down the stretch.

Getting rid of Plummer (I refuse to call it losing him) will help our passing game instantly. Teams could stack against the run and blitz like crazy with little fear that Plummer could beat them.

I agree overall with the premise of your post, we won't be good next year, and probably won't even be mediocre.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
With or without Boston we still would've lost most of those games down the stretch.

Getting rid of Plummer (I refuse to call it losing him) will help our passing game instantly. Teams could stack against the run and blitz like crazy with little fear that Plummer could beat them.

I agree overall with the premise of your post, we won't be good next year, and probably won't even be mediocre.

THAT SUCKS. Damnit Krang - can't you put your blinders back on - at least then I could look at one person who I usually agree with on other matters and believe maybe I'm being too pessimistic about the season.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by PJ1
Although I truly hope it is not the case, it seems that this year could be as bad a year as ever for the Cardinals. That is saying alot for me as I attended my first Card game in "67".

They have lost all their receivers. That is a neat trick even for the Cards management.

A pitiful defense has not been improved much at all. Still no DL. Without a rush it doesn't matter who is in the secondary.

They sign Emmitt when RB was clearly not one of the biggest problems. I love Shipp and he was only going to get better.

OK, we have a draft that may net at best 2 starters. Most likely they will still take time to develop.

No matter how I look at it 3 wins is the most I can see. We will be drafting high next year for sure.

All that money available and this is the best they could do? Truly disgraceful but not at all surprising as it just never ends with this team.

That said, I will still be following the draft closely and getting my hopes up. Will be all excited for the opener. Still a Cards fan no matter what.

I just love this team. I must be crazy.

Who knows? My Cubs are in first place with probably the best starting rotation in the National League with Woods,Prior,Clement,Zambrano, and Estes. Miracles can happen so maybe the Cards can come up with a few. Did any of you see Sammy Sosa get hit in the head today. It looked like it split the helmet in pieces. He had just hit a home run. Do you think there will be some pay back coming? That looked abaout as hard a hit to the head as I have ever seen. Without a helmet he is a dead man.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
It seemed to me that most of our Offensive woes were Jake's fault. Not so much the interceptions, but the poor throws that either put us 3rd and long or failed to make a first down. Our Defense was not talented enough to hold up. I think getting rid of jake helps immediately. The defense will be better. Maybe still bad but better. But, a good running game and a QB that can complete some passes will keep the Defense off the field a lot more this season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
THAT SUCKS. Damnit Krang - can't you put your blinders back on - at least then I could look at one person who I usually agree with on other matters and believe maybe I'm being too pessimistic about the season.

Hey it's you who has the blinders on! :D

No, but seriously, this team has upgraded itself in many ways, but it failed to upgrade the pass rush and opened up huge holes at receiver. All is not lost, I think that the pass rush will get a little better, and the young receivers will improve.

I think the team needs to take the best available player whether that is Suggs or Leftwich or even someone else.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by artp
It seemed to me that most of our Offensive woes were Jake's fault. Not so much the interceptions, but the poor throws that either put us 3rd and long or failed to make a first down. Our Defense was not talented enough to hold up. I think getting rid of jake helps immediately. The defense will be better. Maybe still bad but better. But, a good running game and a QB that can complete some passes will keep the Defense off the field a lot more this season.

I agree with this point. Plummer is by far one of the worst Qbs that I have witnessed, that lasted so long. I honestly believe that a lot of the team's problems are a result of him. But we will still suck w/o him, but not as bad with him!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I would agree that we are improved. however, I will believe a ten win season when I see it.

I would settle for a competitive eight and eight, while continuing to build the defense and maintain the o line in the 2004 off season.

If we win eight games in 2003, I would be a little more inclined to believe a predicition of 10-6 for 2004.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's such a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL. While I don't think it looks very good for us next year on paper, if you get a couple of lucky bounces, all of the sudden you can be in the hunt. Or, avoid some killer mistakes. Look at the games last year that could've easily swung our way without some key early turnonvers and defensive breakdowns.

Both SF games, the 2 Rams games, and the Chargers game. That would've made us 10-6 and division champs. On the other hand, we easily could've lost every single game we won as well, if we use the same reasoning. Then, we would've been 0-16!

When I want hope, I can think about that Bears team a couple of years ago that went 13-3. Last year, they were 4-12. I really don't think they were all that much worse last year, they just didn't get nearly so many breaks on injuries and turnovers as the year before. So, really, when they were 13-3 they weren't that good. So, if they can be not very good and win, why can't we?
:cool:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard