Cole Anthony

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cole Anthony is a 19.93 year old freshman point guard from North Carolina.

Anthony stands 6'3", weighs 184 pounds and has a 6'3.5" wingspan.

This past season in 22 games he shot .380 from the field, .348 from 3-point range and had 5.7 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 1.3 steals with 3.5 turnovers.

In regard to the four mocks all have Cole ranked #13 or higher. Tankathon has him ranked #10, NBA Draft Room #13, NBADraft.Net #6 and The Ringer #12.

Here are a couple of snippets by Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer:

Positive:

Ambidextrous finisher with hops, body control, strength, and touch; he’s much better than his numbers indicate because of North Carolina’s horrific spacing in the half court, often with two nonshooting bigs on the floor.

Dynamic ball handler who could thrive with more room as a pick-and-roll threat. He strings together combo moves, showing off a mix of change-of-pace dribbles with crosses using either hand. He looks to score first, but can make basic passes

Negative:

Not a pure playmaker, nor does he naturally make his teammates better. He needs to work on making advanced reads, but even on the simple passes his accuracy is underwhelming.

Underwent surgery in 2019 for a partially torn meniscus in his right knee.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some video from Cole Anthony from the 2019-20 season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two immediate concerns I have about Anthony aside from his knee surgery are his low shooting percentage and high turnover to assist ratio.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Probably the biggest egnima in the draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could like Cole Anthony more because there is a fair chance he may be there when the Suns draft. However, his skill set is not developed. Perhaps his higher mock rankings is based on what he accomplished in high school.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Most mocks have him in the top 15 or so. If that is true he is easily my least favorite player in that group. He's not a PG. NOT. He's just another OG that can handle the ball. He doesn't pass, he makes no one better, he plays a ton of hero ball, turns the ball over at an alarming rate... He's literally the opposite of a true PG. Let someone else take him.

I'm not joking when I say this, if I had the 40th pick and he was available, I'd probably pass. (Heck, I'd probably take Arturs Zagars over him). I absolutely hate these kind of players. Tough to name one true successful player that played like him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most mocks have him in the top 15 or so. If that is true he is easily my least favorite player in that group. He's not a PG. NOT. He's just another OG that can handle the ball. He doesn't pass, he makes no one better, he plays a ton of hero ball, turns the ball over at an alarming rate... He's literally the opposite of a true PG. Let someone else take him.

I'm not joking when I say this, if I had the 40th pick and he was available, I'd probably pass. (Heck, I'd probably take Arturs Zagars over him). I absolutely hate these kind of players. Tough to name one true successful player that played like him.

Yeah I can't imagine how he'd make anyone's top 15 list.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved him coming into college but his one partial year at UNC ruined his draft stock. Shot poorly, didn't defend all that well and looked way too selfish.

I don't buy the comment about poor floor spacing I just think he takes lots of bad shots. Has upside but nowhere near as good as I expected him to be.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unimpressed by Anthony. He seems the less athletic version of Dennis Smith Jr. I doubt that he will be a lottery pick.