Clippers @ Suns game thread 3-28-18

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Lol @ Bender in the paint. Throws it outside as soon as he touches the ball.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol @ Bender in the paint. Throws it outside as soon as he touches the ball.

I know Bender needs to develop more strength but perhaps the Suns should have trained him to play inside-out instead of outside-in.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know Bender needs to develop more strength but perhaps the Suns should have trained him to play inside-out instead of outside-in.
He just needs to spend the offseason in the weight room and working on his explosiveness.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Bender needs to develop more strength but perhaps the Suns should have trained to play inside-out instead of outside-in.

It’s more than strength, IMO. He’s just got NO game... and is soft. That’s an awful combo.

Chriss has been terrible this season, especially coming off anice rookie season, but you still see skills and athleticism. He just needs someone to knock his head in right.

Bender just has nothing... except a brief four game run where he got hot from behind the three line.

I know there will be defenders of his b-ball IQ, positioning, hustle... but I don’t see I.T. Save the hustle. I just see someone clueless and outclassed athletically on the court.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s more than strength, IMO. He’s just got NO game... and is soft. That’s an awful combo.

Chriss has been terrible this season, especially coming off anice rookie season, but you still see skills and athleticism. He just needs someone to knock his head in right.

Bender just has nothing... except a brief four game run where he got hot from behind the three line.

I know there will be defenders of his b-ball IQ, positioning, hustle... but I don’t see I.T. Save the hustle. I just see someone clueless and outclassed athletically on the court.

I don't think anyone is talking about basketball IQ much anymore.

Chriss is showing more.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is talking about basketball IQ much anymore.

Chriss is showing more.

I’ve still seen people chalking up “positioning/passing/spacing”...which is just another version of the same thing, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want Al McCoy to get a chance to actually get excited about this team again.

Love that man. Will always be my favorite voice in sports history.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#51 for the Clippers looks like the Giant in the movie Big Fish.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve still seen people chalking up “positioning/passing/spacing”...which is just another version of the same thing, IMO.

A lot of fans want a reason to believe.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Clippers 111 - Suns 99

Harrison finishes with 17 points, 2 assists and 4 steals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of fans want a reason to believe.

I get it... but seeing is believing and I can’t for the life of me believe what others are seeing.

Booker/Jackson are reason to believe. Everything else seems like just fooling yourself.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Good call by Jay to play that line up to start the 4th and insured the loss

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it... but seeing is believing and I can’t for the life of me believe what others are seeing.

Booker/Jackson are reason to believe. Everything else seems like just fooling yourself.

I think the Bender hopes have diminished but are still there. I still have hope but I would choose Chriss over Bender at this juncture.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Bender hopes have diminished but are still there. I still have hope but I would choose Chriss over Bender at this juncture.

I honestly still wouldn’t throw either out yet. Let them get a new coaching staff and another offseason to see if they get their ish together. But man... Bender just looks so lost on the court it really makes me wonder a) why we took him at 4 and b) if he ever finds any game.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Man I don't even know anymore...its hard to have a favorite scrub.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly still wouldn’t throw either out yet. Let them get a new coaching staff and another offseason to see if they get their ish together. But man... Bender just looks so lost on the court it really makes me wonder a) why we took him at 4 and b) if he ever finds any game.

I agree. Let the new coaching staff take a look.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Bender needs to get benched the next game. Triano has done it to Chriss, Jackson and Ulis to get his point across and now he needs to do it for Bender. He needs a reality check that his passive play has consequences and this is coming from a pretty big Bender supporter.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Sad thing there was even talk of him going higher in the draft. I expect the Suns to sign/trade for a starting caliber PF. Chriss will probably get backup minutes and Bender will be traded or sent to G league.

Good Guy

Reaction score
We definitely need to see what a new coach can do with these players. I feel like if either of these guys were on a team with established players and established culture, they would be contributors, and I would be wishing they were on the Suns. I wouldn't be too bummed to see either of them go in a trade in the offseason if they were deal-sweeteners, but I wouldn't want to give up on either of them for little return for at least another few years after some coaching staff stability.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Suns don't decide to turn down the 4th year option on either Chriss or Bender because that could kill any trade value they may have. Philly did that with Okafor and then seemed surprise no one wanted to give up a 1st round pick for him. Had they kept that option they probably could have gotten a 1st. I'm not saying the Suns will get a 1st for either of them but any trade value they have is based on having 2 years left on their rookie contracts before they hit restricted free agency. Declining an option would mean they'd hit free agency without any ability to match offers they receive.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I hope the Suns don't decide to turn down the 4th year option on either Chriss or Bender because that could kill any trade value they may have. Philly did that with Okafor and then seemed surprise no one wanted to give up a 1st round pick for him. Had they kept that option they probably could have gotten a 1st. I'm not saying the Suns will get a 1st for either of them but any trade value they have is based on having 2 years left on their rookie contracts before they hit restricted free agency. Declining an option would mean they'd hit free agency without any ability to match offers they receive.
When does the decision have to be made? Do they at least get to see them play some next year before they have to make a decision on them?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When does the decision have to be made? Do they at least get to see them play some next year before they have to make a decision on them?

I think they need to make a decision before October 31st of 2018, so they'll have a little bit of time before needing to decide what to do. That gives them training camp and the first week of the season to see how they've developed. I know 3rd year players aren't generally sent to Summer League but I think the Suns should send both Chriss and Bender. I know Chriss showed up out of shape last year and looked awful but since his play hasn't improved during the season I don't think they should give him the summer off.

This link explains when options needed to be picked up this year, so I imagine it'll be the same next season since it's all the same CBA. The dates may vary a little but the overall time period shouldn't change.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/08/decisions-on-201819-rookie-scale-team-options.html