Charlie Trippi Feature Piece in USA Today

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nicely written article on Trippi opening on Page 1 of today's USA Today sports section with the remainder occupying a large chunk of page 8C.

Charlie Trippi was my first favorite Cardinal back in the mid 1940's. He scored 2 TD's on long runs (as did Elmer Angsmann) in the 28 - 21 Championship win over the Eagles in 1947. He was a left halfback who, I believe, may have played a couple of years under center toward the end of his career.

He's 91, lives in Georgia and was being featured as the oldest living player to be drafted #1 by the NFL. (Another interesting tidbit for those still smarting over our loss of Joe Namath to the Jets - Trippi was also drafted by New York in the All American Conference in 1946, but "we got him").

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nicely written article on Trippi opening on Page 1 of today's USA Today sports section with the remainder occupying a large chunk of page 8C.

Charlie Trippi is the only reason I became a Cards fan when I was 11 years old. I was born in Georgia and moved to Chicago about the time Trippi got there. I lived on the north side of Chicago which was Bear territory but I loved my man from Georgia and still do. His time with the Cards in those years were probably the best Cards teams of all times as far as play goes. The Dream Backfield, playing the Bears in Wrigley Field. It did not get any better than that. Unfortunately it was mostly down hill after those years.