Cats get the most unlikely sweep in the bay area

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did not expect the Cats to go on the road and get wins at Cal and Stanford. Got to like what Miller is doing with this bunch, especially without Parrom and Mayes.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
The defense was impressive. I am not sure I have ever seen so many blocks in a game before.

Also, I don't know if I should respect the local fans' constant chanting of "air ball" or to hate them for making the game even more horrific than normal to listen to.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The defense was impressive. I am not sure I have ever seen so many blocks in a game before.

This weekend was Chol's block party. He is starting to show what he's capable of once he gets more playing time and gets stronger
Also, I don't know if I should respect the local fans' constant chanting of "air ball" or to hate them for making the game even more horrific than normal to listen to.

They were saying on the Stanford radio broadcast that it was almost a 50/50 ratio UofA to Stanford fans at Maples. That's probably why you kept hearing the "air ball" chant. Also, the UofA chant was in full force.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Didn't get to watch, but those were two really important wins. Now we have Colo & Uta at home which we need to win. There's a chance we can win 21 even 22 games and the selection committee will have a hard time keeping us out of the tourney.

What worries me is that we only played 7 guys tonight (acc to ESPN Box Score). That can't be good going into the home stretch.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
What worries me is that we only played 7 guys tonight (acc to ESPN Box Score). That can't be good going into the home stretch.
Yeah, and that's what we're probably going to finish out the year with too. Miller has done a helluva job to scratch out 16 wins with this roster.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought for sure you'd lose to Stanford as a letdown after the Cal win so big weekend for the Cats.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Team of the Week: Arizona

By sweeping the Bay Area teams, the Wildcats took down one-time Pac-12 favorites (hasn't half the league held that moniker this season?) Cal and Stanford in a three-day stretch that very well might've saved Arizona's season.

Zona showed more grit on the road swing than it has all season. And this came after a disheartening home loss to Washington the previous weekend. The sweep of the Bears and Cardinal moved the Cats to 7-4 in the league, two games behind Washington for first place and a game behind Cal and Colorado. Arizona gets CU at home Thursday in a huge rematch, and doesn't have to play Cal again with the league's unbalanced schedule.

The schedule is favorable with the toughest game remaining at Washington. The Wildcats finish with four of seven at home and two of the road games are at depleted Washington State and downtrodden Arizona State. The final three home games after Colorado are against Utah, UCLA and USC.

Arizona is down on depth, but the play of Kyle Fogg, Jesse Perry, Nick Johnson and Solomon Hill is carrying this club. Sean Miller has found a way to motivate the Wildcats to get through stretches of inconsistency. The ceiling is still higher for this crew than most Pac-12 teams, save maybe Washington. At this point in early February, dismissing Arizona's chances of being an NCAA team would be a mistake. If this past weekend is any indication, the Cats might just have a run in them after all.

-- Andy Katz

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch1209/week-9

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard