Carl Morris, doesn't fit the need, does he?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This team needs a deep play threat if McAddley and Gilmore don't bring it and if this team isn't able to get a healthy (?) player like Robinson after June 1st. I'm not saying Morris can't play but he comes across as only a late round gambe. Now the whole draft is a crap shoot but there are players like Calico who fit the need MUCH BETTER than Morris. Kevin Kasper or Nathan Poole already fill the role that Morris could bring. If I had a choice between Gage and Morris late in the draft, I would still pass Morris for Gage.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The worst part of the Cardinals current situation is that all of their WR are so unproven, we really don't know what the team has. McAddley showed some flashes last year, but can he be a #1? I like Gilmore, but I don't feel he is a #1, a strong #3 yes!

Drafting a #1 WR in the later rounds would prove difficult I would think. This is going to be an interesting training camp to say the least.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jetstream Green
This team needs a deep play threat if McAddley and Gilmore don't bring it and if this team isn't able to get a healthy (?) player like Robinson after June 1st. I'm not saying Morris can't play but he comes across as only a late round gambe. Now the whole draft is a crap shoot but there are players like Calico who fit the need MUCH BETTER than Morris. Kevin Kasper or Nathan Poole already fill the role that Morris could bring. If I had a choice between Gage and Morris late in the draft, I would still pass Morris for Gage.

I don't think Gage will be available when we draft Morris. And Morris is exactly the type of receiver that we need. He is an intelligent, consistent receiver and could possibly be a late round gem.

If I were to draft Morris, I would probably have already added one on the first day of the draft (1-3) and I would look for him as early as the late fourth to early fifth. Maybe a sixth round.

Nate Poole, while he has made plays before, is not a legitimate NFL receiver. He is actually quite a bit slower than Morris' average speed (4.6 to Pooles 4.7) and he is about the same size. We've cut Poole 2-3 times now in his brief career, so I wouldn't even say it was a lock for him to make the team.

Kasper is actually pretty much a possesion receiver despite is very ordinary size (5'11) and his pretty good speed (4.5-4.4) but he is a little fragile (he has had numerous injuries in his short career).

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Re: Re: Carl Morris, doesn't fit the need, does he?

Originally posted by Krangthebrain
If I were to draft Morris, I would probably have already added one on the first day of the draft (1-3) and I would look for him as early as the late fourth to early fifth. Maybe a sixth round.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Morris is a 1st day guy, but he's definitely the sleeper among a pretty weak receiver class.
The kid picked up football late (junior year of high school) so he's very raw, but Jerry Sullivan is one, if not the best at developing receivers at the NFL level. McGinnis also reiterated that Sullivan will be very involved w/ the receivers despite the promotion. That's the good news, because it gives Arizona the luxury of taking these types in later rounds and getting 2nd or 3rd round production out of them. We started to see that w/ McAddely this year, and Denver did this for years with their running backs. It's a great tool because most teams have to use high picks on such skill positions the Cards can now wait for rounds 5-7 and use their higher picks on more pressing needs.
I'm not sure if Morris will last that far. Actually I hope he doesn't, but only because he's a very nice kid that deserves to picked earlier based on character alone. He also has some serious skills and even had a 21 reception (single game) performance this season.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn