Cards sent pick to Pitt with Levi!!

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
When we sent Levi to the Steelers, it was like sending someone to beat the hell out of Big Ben every Sunday.

That might be worth a 2nd round pick all by itself.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? He is not Batiste. Might as well roll tape on Michael Harris of the Chargers. :shrug:
Ok, keep being 100% sure he can't be worse than Levi based on Max Hall pixie dust and unicorns.

Batiste was worse. The other tackles on the roster that couldn't beat out Levi very well could be worse. To me, the fact that the Cardinals went with Levi as the starter is some evidence that Potter, Massie and Sowell could be worse than Levi.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why? He is not Batiste. Might as well roll tape on Michael Harris of the Chargers. :shrug:

That's right. Batiste was able to keep NFL jobs for more than 10 games a season, and even started a few before he became our starting LT by default.

And, clearly, the inference is that people were saying "He can't possibly be worse than Levi Brown" about D'Anthony Batiste some 13 months ago.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals sent a pick to Pitt. How is that wrong?
There's nothing wrong if we got a higher pick than the one we traded away - which is more likely than otherwise.

But we don't know what the terms are and, until we do, all we're doing is making a lot of noise based on what we "think" and not what we know.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong if we got a higher pick than the one we traded away - which is more likely than otherwise.

But we don't know what the terms are and, until we do, all we're doing is making a lot of noise based on what we "think" and not what we know.

I think the issue is that in a trade where PIttsburg got the player it wanted AND we accomodated them further by paying for most of his salary that havibg to give up any kind of pick as well in order to get something is a real headscratcher. Just feels like we had to sweeten the pot A LOT to give the other team in the trade what they desperAtely needed

Last edited:

Wildfire

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks Jeff for a simple truth

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever we got for Levi is gravy because he was going to get cut, or so the Russians would have us believe.

My gripes are:

The impact on the CAP and dead money. Giving Levi 3 $mil to go away gripes my a$$.

Wouldn't we have saved this years salary against the CAP if we cut him before the 1st game of the season? If so then they should have just cut or tried to trade him before the season started.

I'm not so sure the Steelers Desperately wanted Levi, it sounds more like we started shopping him.

I actually would prefer we give up a 7th to get a 6th rd pick then just getting a 7th round pick.

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
Typically two draft picks are from Round X is worth one pick from Round X-1 ie. 2 seventh round picks are the same as a 6th round pick. As long as we get a pick back that's higher than the one we sent we are getting something of value, (although not necessarily much). Getting a 7th round pick outright is pretty much the same as swapping a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I made noise about something the Cards didn't publicize until after I made this thread.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typically two draft picks are from Round X is worth one pick from Round X-1 ie. 2 seventh round picks are the same as a 6th round pick. As long as we get a pick back that's higher than the one we sent we are getting something of value, (although not necessarily much). Getting a 7th round pick outright is pretty much the same as swapping a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick.

Thx

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, keep being 100% sure he can't be worse than Levi based on Max Hall pixie dust and unicorns.

Batiste was worse. The other tackles on the roster that couldn't beat out Levi very well could be worse. To me, the fact that the Cardinals went with Levi as the starter is some evidence that Potter, Massie and Sowell could be worse than Levi.

Levi beat himself out. That's the bottom line. His biggest deficiency was sucking even when he got help - he actually messed up the help. I'm not sure if it was better giving him help or just letting him whiff.

Listen, Sowell is not going to come in and be a stud. He is going to whiff on blocks, and he's going to make mistakes. But he's a second year UDFA, while Levi is a veteran high draft pick. I'm ok with young players making mistakes, especially if they learn. I'm not happy with false starts every game and whiffs by a guy who should be more consistent by this point.

Here is a nice look at the good and bad of Sowell. Just looking at that alone, he will be no worse than Levi, and has the luxury of upside remaining on his career. He's by NO MEANS a solution to the problem, at least that's doubtful. But Levi was certainly never going to be.

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/20...rting-lt-bradley-sowell-what-to-expect-sunday

The coaching staff brought Sowell in right before the season started, he had no training camp. So you can't say that he didn't beat out Levi for the starting role, thus Levi must be better. Actually, you've got a better case theorizing that he DID beat out Levi, thus Levi gets the boot. These coaches know the guy, he played 10 games for them. He got beat, he held his ground. He apparently learned from the coaches (in their eyes) while Levi didn't.

I trust that a lot more than some worry that he's Batiste 2.0.

Doesn't mean he's not going to be swarmed on Sunday, because he is...just that Levi was going to get swarmed too.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim said something in the presser that made no sense; he said the dollar hits were 2013. I was (and remain) under the impression that some was for 2014. Does this payment aspect change that fact and add validity to Keim's comment?

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Levi beat himself out. That's the bottom line. His biggest deficiency was sucking even when he got help - he actually messed up the help. I'm not sure if it was better giving him help or just letting him whiff.

Listen, Sowell is not going to come in and be a stud. He is going to whiff on blocks, and he's going to make mistakes. But he's a second year UDFA, while Levi is a veteran high draft pick. I'm ok with young players making mistakes, especially if they learn. I'm not happy with false starts every game and whiffs by a guy who should be more consistent by this point.

Here is a nice look at the good and bad of Sowell. Just looking at that alone, he will be no worse than Levi, and has the luxury of upside remaining on his career. He's by NO MEANS a solution to the problem, at least that's doubtful. But Levi was certainly never going to be.

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/20...rting-lt-bradley-sowell-what-to-expect-sunday

The coaching staff brought Sowell in right before the season started, he had no training camp. So you can't say that he didn't beat out Levi for the starting role, thus Levi must be better. Actually, you've got a better case theorizing that he DID beat out Levi, thus Levi gets the boot. These coaches know the guy, he played 10 games for them. He got beat, he held his ground. He apparently learned from the coaches (in their eyes) while Levi didn't.

Doesn't mean he's not going to be swarmed on Sunday, because he is...just that Levi was going to get swarmed too.

I like your moxie. I like your scent.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim said something in the presser that made no sense; he said the dollar hits were 2013. I was (and remain) under the impression that some was for 2014. Does this payment aspect change that fact and add validity to Keim's comment?

Right. And did I miss the "conditional pick" mention at the presser?

Not that it matters.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. And did I miss the "conditional pick" mention at the presser?

Not that it matters.

I'll listen back to hear "conditional pick."

At the 5:50 mark, somone asks about the money going to next year and keim goes "eererhggssuuuuwhuuu...well all of it...i mean we can get into that..i'll let you earn your money and check your resources but....everything will apply to '13, for us, so bottom line is any money we can salvage by moving him to Pittsburgh it certainly helps and any draft pick compensation is an added bonus."

That statement doesn't jibe with the 2014 dead money expanding talk. confusing.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the issue is that in a trade where PIttsburg got the player it wanted AND we accomodated them further by paying for most of his salary that havibg to give up any kind of pick as well in order to get something is a real headscratcher. Just feels like we had to sweeten the pot A LOT to give the other team in the trade what they desperAtely needed
Cheesey - it's equally if not more likely that they accommodated us.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Did the rules change in the new CBA? I always thought when a team trades a player, they trade the entire contract. I know their bonus was accelerated into a cap hit but, as for the salary, the team acquiring the player absorbed the entire contract.

This sounds like a baseball trade where team A trades a player to team B and pays almost all their salary, like the Cubs did in trading Soriano to the Yankees. I always thought this type of deal was against NFL rules.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the NBA, where a part of the trade is vague, it's called future consideration.

I don't know the intricacies of this trade but it sounds like the Cardinals saved some cash and swapped draft picks with the Steelers with the Cardinals likely getting a better pick (though likely a later pick) in a future draft.

The Suns recently bought out Michael Beasley's contract just to get him off the team. I guess the Cardinals felt they got enough in return to do a trade instead of doing a buyout. The bottom line in both transactions was addition by subtraction.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheesey - it's equally if not more likely that they accommodated us.

uh...no. we didn't HAVE to trade Levi. He could have been cut, period. The idea that the Steelers were the team with the leverage in this situation is beyond comprehension. this isn't the NBA where if you have a bad contract, you have to pay someone to take it off your hands because the contract is guaranteed. This team could have easily just cut bait on Levi, not further damaged it's cap next and wouldn't have had to give up a pick.

I mean...the above is mind-boggling to me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
hmmm...we traded our seventh for Palmer , no?? conditional, but almost guaranteed to be the 7th rounder was my understanding of it.

interesting to see the details come out on this....but if we managed to give Levi and our fifth for Pitts fourth.....I would be tickled.....

hell....even our sixth for their fifth aint so bad.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

He played in 10 games for them, and started 0. He's had a lot of practice time with this group, but he had all of 60 snaps over 10 games for them. Very impressive.

Did the rules change in the new CBA? I always thought when a team trades a player, they trade the entire contract. I know their bonus was accelerated into a cap hit but, as for the salary, the team acquiring the player absorbed the entire contract.

This sounds like a baseball trade where team A trades a player to team B and pays almost all their salary, like the Cubs did in trading Soriano to the Yankees. I always thought this type of deal was against NFL rules.

The Cards had to re-structure Levi Brown's contract (according to reports) to turn the remainder of his salary into a "bonus" to eat that portion of the contract. So Levi's on the hook for the Steelers for the veteran minimum after getting an additional $3M while walking out the door (and almost assuredly letting someone pass by him on the way).

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, this deal smelled like Pittsburgh did us a favor by taking Levi off our hands. Packaging one of our draft picks appears to be what sealed the deal.

Looks to me like Keim wanted Levi gone, and Arians wouldn't bench him, so Keim forced the issue.

IMHO, when Sommers says that the Pittsburgh pick will "be an upgrade" he means that they will have a worse record than us, and that the picks swapped are in the same round.

Maybe Sowell ends up being a world beater, but I've learned that if someone isn't playing there's a reason for it.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

And a player (pick) to be named later. :D