Cards Made Good Use of Waiver Wire

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Just a few weeks into the season, the Cardinals 2004 Draft class has already made waves. Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and linebacker Karlos Dansby have garnered national attention with nominations for the NFL’s Rookie of the Week award, and center Alex Stepanovich and defensive tackle Darnell Dockett have both progressed along the offensive and defensive line as productive starters.

As successful as these rookie have been, the Cardinals have also benefited with another group of four talented players, all from the NFL’s waiver wire.

“We were really able to get a lot of quality players,” said Head Coach Dennis Green. “Other teams put in claims for these players too, and we were fortunate enough to take advantage of where we were ranked out and come away with some players who have helped us.”

In fact, two of those claimed players, safety Ifeanyi Ohalete and guard Jeremy Bridges, have cracked the Cardinals starting line-up.

Ohalete, a starter for two years, was surprisingly released by the Redskins mid-August and quickly snatched up by the Cardinals. With only a day of practice, he stepped in as a starter in the Cards preseason match-up with the San Diego Chargers. Hampered by a high ankle sprain, Ohalete has shared time with safety Quentin Harris since then, and owns 17 tackles and one fumble recovery.

“It has been a real good transition,” said Ohalete of coming to Arizona. “Coach Green gave me a shot here and I’m just trying to make plays and help this team win.”

Bridges, originally a sixth-round pick by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003, was claimed off waivers the first week of September, and replaced right guard Cameron Spikes during the Saints outing, a game in which the Cards enjoyed their first win and most productive day running the ball.

Bridges was inactive all of last season, but felt he had a solid preseason with the Eagles and was in disbelief when he got his walking papers.

“I don't think anyone saw it coming, I know I didn't,” shared Bridges.

Five weeks later, Bridges isn’t concerned with what happened in Philly.

“It is a new beginning, that's the way I look at it. I don't look at Philadelphia as far as 'what could I have done better there.' I'm in Arizona now and it is a new beginning. I'm going to play ball how I play ball with the passion and the ability that God has given me. I'm not holding any grudge against Philadelphia. That's the business of the NFL. It's just starting all over now."

As well as adjusting to a new home, a new offense, and new terminology, Bridges also had to pick up on playing a new position when the Cards coaching staff shifted him from tackle to guard.

"It was just all about learning the terminology and technique that this coach wants me to use. It didn't take long but it took a lot of focus.”

With the current claim on the starting right guard position, clearly his focus paid off.

“He’s a very talented player and can play left guard, right guard, left tackle or right tackle,” said Green. “We like his versatility and he was a great addition for us. I think he’s really going to be an outstanding football player.”

Bridges success story has served as an inspiration to yet another one of the Cardinals claimed players, offensive lineman Alan Reuber. Reuber, an undrafted free agent spent training camp with the Minnesota Vikings. He was released on the last Monday in August and picked up by the Cards on Tuesday.

“Jeremy was with the Eagles and wasn’t active one game his rookie year and I look at him and he got released, came in here, did his job well and now he’s starting,” said Reuber. “I just look at that and absorb what he’s done to get to where he is and try to do the same thing.”

Fortunately Reuber’s knowledge of the Vikings offense has allowed him an easier transition here in Arizona. Mostly, Reuber is happy to be with a team where he feels wanted.

“Coach has done a good job with who he’s picked up and he has expressed that he’s been happy with what I’ve done and I’m very excited to be in this position,” offered Reuber. “I think Coach Green has done a great job with the team and I think everyone has bought into what Coach Green is selling, I know I have, and I think everything he’s done is definitely a step forward. I expected to be in Minnesota but things didn’t work out, and I’m just glad to have this opportunity to be with a team who wanted me, and hopefully in time, I’ll get the same kind of chance Jeremy has.”

The Cards also lucked out when the Chicago Bears released their fourth-round pick, linebacker Leon Joe after the first game of the season. The former Maryland standout was stunned when the Bears released him a few months after selecting him in the 2004 NFL Draft. Chicago may have had plans to place Joe on the team’s practice squad, but instead the Cards claimed him as part of their active roster.

“They told me they had scouted me at college and that they knew what I could do and felt like I could fit the system,” said Joe coming to Arizona.

With linebacker James Darling added to the team’s injury report late last week, Green said Joe was chomping at the bit for playing time.

“Obviously, I’d like to play more, but I know I have to play my role just coming in,” offered Joe. “Right now, that is on special teams so I’ll give a 100% effort whenever I get on the field and just continue to prepare for an opportunity for more playing time down the road. That is really all I can do.”

Making use of the waiver wire is something new for the Cardinals organization. The only other player on the Cardinals active roster to join the squad via the waiver wire is defensive tackle Russell Davis, a former second-round 1999 pick by the Chicago Bears, who was released and claimed by the Cards in 2000.

Coach Green has made it clear that he is going to improve the team through free agency, trades, the draft and through picking up guys off of the waiver wire. With these valuable additions to the team, Green has already started to make his mark on the reshaping of the Arizona Cardinals.

Still Feeling the Sting

Quarterback Josh McCown is looking forward to having the bye weekend to get over the sting of last weekend's overtime loss to the Niners.

"I was telling Coach Green that it is still hard for me to get rid of that one," said McCown on Thursday. "Every loss is tough, but those kinds especially. I know by Monday I’ll be over it, but I'll probably still think about it over the weekend."

McCown plans on watching their next opponent, the Seattle Seahawks, play the Patriots on Sunday.

"I’ll be anxious to see how they do against the Patriots, that is a good game to watch," said McCown.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2300

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
In effect we have an additional 4th rounder if i read it correct. Strange the Bears cutting him so early - personality issues?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
wembley88 said:
In effect we have an additional 4th rounder if i read it correct. Strange the Bears cutting him so early - personality issues?

The coaches said that he wasnt picking up the system fast enough and was to much of a loose cannon. For all of his speed(4.47 40 time) and Strength(30 reps of 225 lbs) they pretty much called him dumb. They tried to sneak him on the PS and lost in thier gamble. Joe is a project who could pay huge dividends for.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard