Cards’ Draft Position

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
We’re cemented in the top 3, most likely at 3 as long as the Rams & Broncos win 1 more game.

Rams & Broncos play each other next week. That will take care of that. The loser of this game will need to win 1 more game & looking at both schedules, I think LA is more likely to do that than Denver.

Of course, this is moot if we don’t lose out.

i think its more a lock at #4, a chance at #3, with #2 a longshot.

Do we know where the Cards stand SOS wise vs the Rams? If the Rams are worse SOS-wise then:

1. We are rooting for DEN to beat the Rams, and,
2. The Rams to win one of the other 3 games: at GB tonight, Chargers, and at SEA.

that puts AZ at the #3 spot.

to "pass" Chicago for the #2 spot (assuming AZ has a harder SOS than CHI):

CHI need two wins out of BUF at home, @DET and MIN at home. Feels unlikely.

football karma

Reaction score

Do we know where the Cards stand SOS wise vs the Rams? If the Rams are worse SOS-wise then:

2. The Rams to win one of the other 3 games: at GB tonight, Chargers, and at SEA.

as an aside: this time last year my spreadsheet was tracking where the Cards would be seeded in the playoffs and who they would play. that was more fun

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I am pretty sure you are right, adding multiple picks and taking Paris Johnson wouldn't be the worst thing for Justin Fields.

Fields just isn't a good passer at this point and right now their WR's suck due to injury and lack of talent. If they moved down they might take a WR.

I watched a bunch of their game yesterday with the Eagles and it was striking how much better a passer Hurts is than Fields. The whole game the announcers were talking about how much work Hurts put in this offseason and Fields has to do the same thing. Over and over they pointed out how he had a guy open but didn't see him, or missed that throw etc. The Eagles got 6 sacks but at least 3 of them were Fields just holding the ball too long, like most young QB's he does that.

Like the rest of the league they have OL injury problems so you can argue for an OL but honestly the Bears need playmakers so Carter or Anderson would be a much better pick for them IMO. Fields is going to have a very short career if he keeps running this much he takes way too many big hits.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fields just isn't a good passer at this point and right now their WR's suck due to injury and lack of talent. If they moved down they might take a WR.

I watched a bunch of their game yesterday with the Eagles and it was striking how much better a passer Hurts is than Fields. The whole game the announcers were talking about how much work Hurts put in this offseason and Fields has to do the same thing. Over and over they pointed out how he had a guy open but didn't see him, or missed that throw etc. The Eagles got 6 sacks but at least 3 of them were Fields just holding the ball too long, like most young QB's he does that.

Like the rest of the league they have OL injury problems so you can argue for an OL but honestly the Bears need playmakers so Carter or Anderson would be a much better pick for them IMO. Fields is going to have a very short career if he keeps running this much he takes way too many big hits.
I would argue that the worst things that NFL franchises can do with young QBs is take players who don't support their QB. Why has Hurts evolved as a passer? Some of it has to do with being behind one of the best OL in football. Same for Mahomes. If you want your young QB to develop at the NFL level protect him and give him weapons. Defense don't matter if your QB isn't working.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
SOS thru yesterday

Rank Team Rating Hi Low Last
1 Miami (8-6) 1.7 1 20 7
2 NY Jets (7-7) 1.7 1 28 3
3 Buffalo (11-3) 1.5 1 12 1
4 Pittsburgh (6-8) 1.2 1 22 2
5 Green Bay (5-8) 0.8 3 23 4
6 Baltimore (9-5) 0.7 2 28 10
7 Cincinnati (10-4) 0.7 6 25 6
8 Detroit (7-7) 0.7 7 30 11
9 Kansas City (11-3) 0.6 2 13 5
10 Cleveland (6-8) 0.6 9 32 15
11 New England (7-7) 0.5 3 26 12
12 Tennessee (7-7) 0.3 5 30 13
13 Tampa Bay (6-8) 0.3 3 17 17
14 LA Rams (4-9) 0.3 1 15 9
15 Minnesota (11-3) 0.2 3 28 8
16 Indianapolis (4-9-1) 0.1 10 30 19
17 Chicago (3-11) 0.0 6 32 20
18 Arizona (4-10) -0.1 2 19 14
19 Jacksonville (6-8) -0.1 10 32 23
20 LA Chargers (8-6) -0.2 1 28 21
21 Houston (1-12-1) -0.4 16 32 32
22 Denver (4-10) -0.7 7 32 24
23 Dallas (10-4) -0.8 6 25 16
24 NY Giants (8-5-1) -0.8 11 32 25
25 Washington (7-6-1) -0.9 10 32 22
26 New Orleans (5-9) -1.0 18 31 18
27 Las Vegas (6-8) -1.0 2 31 30
28 Seattle (7-7) -1.3 12 32 28
29 San Francisco (10-4) -1.3 9 31 29
30 Philadelphia (13-1) -1.3 15 32 27
31 Atlanta (5-9) -1.4 15 32 31
32 Carolina (5-9) -1.4 23 32 26

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would argue that the worst things that NFL franchises can do with young QBs is take players who don't support their QB. Why has Hurts evolved as a passer? Some of it has to do with being behind one of the best OL in football. Same for Mahomes. If you want your young QB to develop at the NFL level protect him and give him weapons. Defense don't matter if your QB isn't working.

Sure agreed on that but I guess what I'm saying is it's hard to know if the Bears have a good OL or not because Fields isn't very good at the passing part of his job. If people recall it was just a couple of years ago everyone said the Eagles had the worst OL in the NFL when Wentz was holding the ball forever and getting destroyed. Mailata was terrible early on. They only have 2 starters who were high picks, Lane Johnson(2013 1st) and Dickerson (2021 2nd). Kelcie was a 6th rounder, Mailata a 7th rounder and Seumalo a 3rd rounder. They kept most of the OL intact, coached it up, and when Hurts got better the OL got better, he still takes way too many sacks but they have a great run scheme and an OL that is a great run blocking OL.

Some QB's make the OL look bad, Wentz did, young Hurts did, and young Fields does too.

They would be fine moving down and taking an OL but the lack of playmakers other than fields on that team is striking.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sure agreed on that but I guess what I'm saying is it's hard to know if the Bears have a good OL or not because Fields isn't very good at the passing part of his job. If people recall it was just a couple of years ago everyone said the Eagles had the worst OL in the NFL when Wentz was holding the ball forever and getting destroyed. Mailata was terrible early on. They only have 2 starters who were high picks, Lane Johnson(2013 1st) and Dickerson (2021 2nd). Kelcie was a 6th rounder, Mailata a 7th rounder and Seumalo a 3rd rounder. They kept most of the OL intact, coached it up, and when Hurts got better the OL got better, he still takes way too many sacks but they have a great run scheme and an OL that is a great run blocking OL.

Some QB's make the OL look bad, Wentz did, young Hurts did, and young Fields does too.

They would be fine moving down and taking an OL but the lack of playmakers other than fields on that team is striking.
This is it. As good as Anderson and Carter are likely to be, trading down, adding picks, and taking OL and WRs to support Fields is the best path towards his success.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
They’re not passing up Will Anderson/Jalen Carter.
I would agree on Carter. There are some concerns about Anderson. There are also some other very good Edge prospect later in round 1. Also the Cards may like what they have. They show flashes. So I think it would be an error to take Anderson and pass a good trade down offer. This is a dream draft.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would agree on Carter. There are some concerns about Anderson. There are also some other very good Edge prospect later in round 1. Also the Cards may like what they have. They show flashes. So I think it would be an error to take Anderson and pass a good trade down offer. This is a dream draft.
Only problem I see with Anderson is his tackling in the backfield. This year was a bigger problem than the last two years. Otherwise, he has the speed, power, twitch, technique, & frame to prove he would be the right choice at #3.

I’ll be DAMNED if this franchise passes up on him cause they’re cool with the little flashes Sanders & Thomas has shown. Anderson is a franchise cornerstone. Those guys are not.

Lets. Not. Overthink. This.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While I am pretty sure you are right, adding multiple picks and taking Paris Johnson wouldn't be the worst thing for Justin Fields.
Poles is going to go defense. They absolutely should trade down, get picks and go OT. Great defender means nothing if Fields is broken in half.

If we had a great GM I'd consider us trading down as well. However, if its Keim or in house guys then just take the talent.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nah I truly think this team, especially if Trace is starting the whole way, is done.

If we’re picking in the top 3 with Carter/Anderson on the board, we shouldn’t trade back anyway. Those are major franchise cornerstones.
There is of course always a price, but this is the correct mindset until someone offers you a haul for the pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Poles is going to go defense. They absolutely should trade down, get picks and go OT. Great defender means nothing if Fields is broken in half.

If we had a great GM I'd consider us trading down as well. However, if its Keim or in house guys then just take the talent.
Great defender absolutely means something. Hell, if helps your offense if your defense with a game changer on that side to take over games.

You don’t pass on a potential elite EDGE for maybe a solid OT.

Besides, folks gotta stop acting like trading down is some type of common occurrence, especially when you’re in the top 5. How many times has that actually happened just in the past 10 years? I doubt it’s a lot.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t a lot of a draft decisions be based on the new GM and coaches style?
Do we go to a 4-3? Will be going to more conventional offense with focus on a solid running game? Do they believe in Murray?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Yeah, so many NFL franchises just don't understand how to navigate a young QB and how much they matter.

Trading back and getting Quentin Johnson and also maybe a Broderick Jones would be so good for Fields.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Great defender absolutely means something. Hell, if helps your offense if your defense with a game changer on that side to take over games.

You don’t pass on a potential elite EDGE for maybe a solid OT.

Besides, folks gotta stop acting like trading down is some type of common occurrence, especially when you’re in the top 5. How many times has that actually happened just in the past 10 years? I doubt it’s a lot.
I disagree when you are trying to make a young QB work. Now, if you are doing your job as a GM, maybe you are able to use other resources or avenues to add that support, but if not, OL and WR trumps potentially great defense players.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score

Rams/Cards only have 3 opponents not in common, the NFC East game, AFC East game and NFC North game. Rams had Buffalo, Green Bay and Dallas in that set while the Cards had Patriots, Minn and Philly. While Buffalo is better than NE the Minn/Philly combo is much better than Dallas/GB so I don't think its possible for the Rams SOS to get better than the Cards. We'll need both the Rams and Denver to win a game to move up.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
C'mon man... Does it really matter where the Cards pick in the first round? Really? I mean, going all the way back to the year 2000, here are the Cards first rounders that might be considered decent picks, with Fitz being great of course:

- Fitz in '04
- PP21 in '11
- Hump in '15

Exciting!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not over EDGE to me. Other positions on defense? Absolutely.
It is kind of a tough argument because there is a chicken and the egg element to it.

Chase Young? No.
Quinnen Williams? No.
Nick Bosa was a different situation have Garrapolo.
Carolina has taken Brown and Burns and Horn in round 1 and the coach got fired.
Arizona took Simmons over an OT or WR. Coach getting fired.

What I know is that since 2017 these QBs have been taken in the first round

Trubisky
Mahomes
Watson
Mayfield
Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Lamar
Murray
Jones
Haskins
Burrow
Tua
Herbert
Love
Lawrence
Wilson
Lance
Fields
Jones

and the ones who seem to be working are the ones who are getting the most offensive personnel support.

football karma

Reaction score
Rams/Cards only have 3 opponents not in common, the NFC East game, AFC East game and NFC North game. Rams had Buffalo, Green Bay and Dallas in that set while the Cards had Patriots, Minn and Philly. While Buffalo is better than NE the Minn/Philly combo is much better than Dallas/GB so I don't think its possible for the Rams SOS to get better than the Cards. We'll need both the Rams and Denver to win a game to move up.
as i feared.

the Card three have a collective 31 wins. the Rams three have 26 (27 if GB beats them tonight)

that feels like too much ground to make up in the final three weeks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson