Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Off that list I would have preferred

Adam Peters, 49ers assistant GM: Peters would be a top name if this was a ranking—he was runner-up for the Giants' job last year, and the Maras raved about how the Niners exec was like Schoen—very complete as a personnel man, with command over every level of a football operation. Peters has rings from New England and Denver, and has had a presence in helping put together what’s arguably the best roster in football
This was the direction I was leaning. But I'm just glad it wasn't an inside hire.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what I think come June 1st unless the coaching hire is atrocious!!

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I admit I don’t know a ton about the guy, but there seemed to be other candidates with better resumes out there. Maybe it will work out ‍
At least we should be getting a fresh perspective from the outside.
I'll put you with the NE fans who didn't want Bill Belichick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a meh hire for me, but at least they didn’t go in house. So, I’ll chalk this up a win for that reason alone, with a wait and see attitude, but shading toward dubious.

A shocking turn of events, I know!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He wasn't my first choice but he is a quality personnel guy.
Is he? What personnel decisions have been attributed to him, or what stands out personnel-wise from his time with NE or tenn? Not being snarky, but those aren’t two organizations I typically think of when I think next level personnel organizations. Wonder what makes this guy stick out…

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like my candidate, Cunningham, Ossenfort is a scouting veteran. He worked with Belichick and Charley Casserly, two of the best in the business. A former small college QB, he’s lived the game his entire adult life. He is extremely well qualified and should give the Cards the depth of personnel knowledge they have seemed to lack. He’s been successful at identifying impact players even late in the draft. He‘s got a great pool to start with so this could be fun. I quickly asked around and the pros are calling this a solid hire.
Happy to hear this. Did the pros give any examples of his “finds?”

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things that I was hoping for in a GM and hopefully Monti can hit on a few of these:

Outside hire first and foremost.
Someone who wants to build through the draft.
Someone who can develop a team to maximize Murray's playing ability.
Someone who isn't a yes-man to Mike.
Someone who can build a solid culture to our team.
Someone who can build a strong successful identity to this team.

Bleh. This sounds like too much word candy.