Broncos coach Vic Fangio sorry after saying there is no racism in NFL

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

* ‘We’re a league of meritocracy, you earn what you get’ * Several black players hit back at Fangio over claimsThe Denver Broncos head coach, Vic Fangio, has apologized after saying he does not see any racism in the NFL.Fangio, who has coached in the league since 1986, was asked about racism in the NFL in the wake of the police killing of George Floyd.“I think our problems in the NFL along those lines are minimal,” said the 61-year-old on Tuesday. “We’re a league of meritocracy, you earn what you get, you get what you earn. I don’t see racism at all in the NFL, I don’t see discrimination in the NFL. We all live together, joined as one, for one common goal, and we all intermingle and mix tremendously. If society reflected an NFL team, we’d all be great.”Seattle Seahawks running back Chris Carson tweeted a video of Fangio’s comments and called the coach “a joke”. Carson’s teammate Quandre Diggs tweeted: “Is he blind??”> This man a joke ... https://t.co/RMkJhMp1QI> > — Chris Carson (@ccarson_32) June 3, 2020Others on social media pointed to the fact that Colin Kaepernick has been exiled from the league for protesting against the racial injustice and police brutality that led to the death of Floyd last week. Meanwhile, the NFL is struggling to persuade teams to recruit minority coaches in a league in which the majority of players are black. There were eight NFL head coaches from a minority background in 2018, now there are four.On Wednesday, Fangio said he regretted the comments. “After reflecting on my comments yesterday and listening to the players this morning I realize what I said regarding racism and discrimination in the NFL was wrong,” he said. “While I have never personally experienced those terrible things first-hand during my 33 years in the NFL, I understand many players, coaches and staff have different perspectives. I should have been more clear and I am sorry.“I wanted to make the point yesterday that there is no color within the locker rooms I have been in or on the playing fields I have coached on. Unfortunately, we don’t live or work only within those confines.”Elsewhere, Kaepernick’s close friend and former teammate, Eric Reid, criticized the San Francisco 49ers for participating in the Blackout Tuesday movement. “I think you meant Blackball Tuesday … I digress,” Reid said.The 49ers are the last team Kaepernick played for. Reid also called out the Texans, Cardinals, Falcons and Bears for their posts.> I think you meant Blackball Tuesday...I digress https://t.co/S0r7IHd7DZ> > — Eric Reid (@E_Reid35) June 2, 2020

Continue reading...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson