Braves @ Dbacks Series Thread

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
11 LOB thru 6

Owings. Swinging on first pitch

You dont think that 5 runs is enough to be able to expect to win games at home?

You probably wont respond to me, you never do :( I'm just curious why you never talk about the pitching.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You probably wont respond to me, you never do :( I'm just curious why you never talk about the pitching.

Not to speak for Jon, but I probably harp more on the hitting because the pitching staff was expected to be horrible. Its a bunch of guys in roles they were not intended for and, despite their poor play, they're probably performing better as a unit than expected. I thought we'd have the worst pitching staff in the NL.

Oh, except Reed. I think we're all unified in our Reed bashing.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

5 should be enough but 11 LOB is unacceptable

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not to speak for Jon, but I probably harp more on the hitting because the pitching staff was expected to be horrible. Its a bunch of guys in roles they were not intended for and, despite their poor play, they're probably performing better as a unit than expected. I thought we'd have the worst pitching staff in the NL.

Oh, except Reed. I think we're all unified in our Reed bashing.

Haha yes we can definitely all agree that Reed sucks. You're right, maybe it just feels worse because this year we're actually scoring runs, so it's just so many missed opportunities. I'm just old school in thinking, regardless of how many guys you leave on base, when you score 5-6 runs at home, your pitchers have got to find a way to win man..

So frustrating!!! This team has potential, with a halfway decent pitching staff we would be right in the mix.

Some of our hitting is just bad luck. I was at the game last night and guys were spraying solid hits all over the field they just kept going right to the Braves, whereas their hits were all going right up the middle for singles :( Like that shot Hill just hit, he crushed that ball but ofcourse it's right at Uribe. We cant get a break

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
NICE! AJ homers GOLDy doubles, we just need to score 9 or 10 more runs and we might have this one in the bag. :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good win Dbacks. That breaks the streak of not winning when trailing after the 6th. Woot woot

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Was at the game last night. Some quick thoughts:

- always amazed how it can be 100 degrees and Chase Field is opened up and it feels normal! Love that!

- Ahmed is simply amazing at SS. He's so damn smooth... Hope he keeps improving at the plate!

- Owings and Trumbo just kill us. They just can't hit nearly consistently enough to be of meaningful value...

- we are in desperate need of a legit threat behind Goldy. We need a legit HR and 90 RBI guy to protect Goldy!

- AJ's blast was epic! What a great at bat and swing!

- hard to argue with Tomas's performance at the plate. But there is something about his hitting/swing that bothers me... He doesn't pull the ball nearly as much as he should and of course, has zero power...

- our pitching, with far too few exceptions, SUCKS. Can't get starters past the 4th/5th inning. Our pen has now racked up the most innings in the majors! And our pen is putrid, except for Huddy and Zeigler (who isn't a closer).

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
- hard to argue with Tomas's performance at the plate. But there is something about his hitting/swing that bothers me... He doesn't pull the ball nearly as much as he should and of course, has zero power

They were talking about this on the radio yesterday. Do we sacrifice AVG for homeruns with Tomas. (He's batting .320) I say no.. I'm happy with .320 considering how weak the bottom half of the lineup is. They mentioned sending him down and tweaking his swing for more homeruns at the cost of batting average. IMO 25 homers and a .250 batting average isn't worth it. Let him be himself and see where he is at the end of the year. If he's batting somewhere around .260 with only 10-15 homers then I'd say yes make the change in his swing.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They were talking about this on the radio yesterday. Do we sacrifice AVG for homeruns with Tomas. (He's batting .320) I say no.. I'm happy with .320 considering how weak the bottom half of the lineup is. They mentioned sending him down and tweaking his swing for more homeruns at the cost of batting average. IMO 25 homers and a .250 batting average isn't worth it. Let him be himself and see where he is at the end of the year. If he's batting somewhere around .260 with only 10-15 homers then I'd say yes make the change in his swing.

I know... his average is compelling. I would like to see more RBI's from him though.
And, why does it always have to be such a dramatic comparison? I wouldn't be happy if he dropped his average to .250 either. Mainly because I don't think he can hit 25 HR's anyway.
But, if he can hit .290ish and take his HR total up to 15 or so, while being a consistent 90+ RBI guy, I'd be very happy with that. It's hard for me to believe that the Dbacks paid him all that money with the expectation of him being a .300 hitter with tiny HR and RBI totals...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomas HAS to prove he's a legit threat behind Goldy!! For the love of GOD Tomas, PLEASE do something noteworthy and allow Goldy to see some hittable pitches!!

Clearly the Braves were content to pitch to Trumbo - for good reason.