Brandon Roy

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Roy says he's attempting a comeback, and he can't go back to the Blazers. Considering our training staff, any reason we don't do everything in our power to bring him here?

Hell, tell him to bring Oden too.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Suns would be foolish not to take flyers on both Oden and Roy. 90% chance that neither of them never play again in a significant way, but at this point the Suns medical staff is about their only selling point.

I wish they could somehow convince Oden to come here right now, tell him they have 0 intention of him even trying to play this year and make a project out of him. I wonder how close Oden and Roy were, maybe they could be convinced to come together and work their way back together. Hell they could have fun bitching about Portlands horrible Front Office and Training staff together. Plus, the Suns keep talking about wanting a guard who can create his own shot, that was certainly Roy at one point.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yea cause he doesn't have any cartilage in his knees.

Considering our current situation, we need to take risks, and if our training staff is able to work a miracle, we'll have a hell of a player. The risks seem low.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Isn't he still under contract w/ Portland? Wouldn't they have to amnesty or trade him?

I honestly don't know how this situation would work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't he still under contract w/ Portland? Wouldn't they have to amnesty or trade him?

I honestly don't know how this situation would work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They already amnestied him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roy says he's attempting a comeback, and he can't go back to the Blazers. Considering our training staff, any reason we don't do everything in our power to bring him here?

Hell, tell him to bring Oden too.

I can't think of a good reason not to pursue him and Oden. Neither of them bring the kind of baggage that Penny came with and as you mentioned, our training staff has to be a big draw for them. Brandon is only 28 and Oden is still only 24, they could both have a lot of basketball left in them. They might not be able to help a team this year so it would be best for them to land somewhere that doesn't need them immediately and AFAIC, that's us.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I can't think of a good reason not to pursue him and Oden. Neither of them bring the kind of baggage that Penny came with and as you mentioned, our training staff has to be a big draw for them. Brandon is only 28 and Oden is still only 24, they could both have a lot of basketball left in them. They might not be able to help a team this year so it would be best for them to land somewhere that doesn't need them immediately and AFAIC, that's us.

Steve

I agree. the worst case scenario is that we can't rehab them and they can't contribute. Who cares? We aren't going to be any good for a couple of years anyway. Best case scenario- we get two great players, but that is somewhat unlikely. However, with ANY luck, we get two good role-players.

Bring them in! It can't possibly hurt.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm fully behind this idea now....because the Suns have dug themselves quite a hole in the last few years. It could take time,so obviously its still best to start bringing in younger players.

If these two guys(Roy & Oden) could rehab themselves back to even serviceable status,it would help the Suns begin to establish an identity again IMO. A method that says we'll build a new backyard shed,rather than continue to re-paint the old one year after year because we dont have the tools or the brains to do so.

chickenhead

Reaction score
This would be the Suns training staff's Sistine Chapel.

Seriously, though, it could be a great risk/reward situation. And maybe after Manning, Penny, and all the Suns history, this is the miracle.

Or it might just be interesting and something to root for.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see Oden become serviceable with the right medical tweeking, but you guys are really underestimating the damage to Roy's knees. His is not just injuries, he has a degenerative condition that was discovered years ago. He basically has no cartilage left, I dont see how some changes in training are going to fix that.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Roy cannot be fixed. The only reason he's probably coming back to the NBA is because he's broke or something. This is such a huge risk for him. Hell, just going for a simple morning jog should be such a huge risk for those knees of his.

Our med staff aren't miracle workers. They can't take nothing and turn it into good. They can't sign me and then expect me to their starting 2 guard next season. Same thing with Roy.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Roy cannot be fixed. The only reason he's probably coming back to the NBA is because he's broke or something. This is such a huge risk for him. Hell, just going for a simple morning jog should be such a huge risk for those knees of his.

Our med staff aren't miracle workers. They can't take nothing and turn it into good. They can't sign me and then expect me to their starting 2 guard next season. Same thing with Roy.

I agree that he is unfix-able, but I disagree that he is probably broke to be wanting to come back. He is still a young guy, he was a very fiery competitor, it does not surprise me that he would want to prove the experts wrong... but I dont think he will. His knees are toast.

Not to mention he is still going to get another 35 million on his amnestied deal over the next 2 years.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh wow idiot me forget that he got amnestied....for some reason I was thinking he was on his rookie deal and that it expired.

Nevermind, he's definitely not broke :D

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Disagree. Guys like Roy are genuinely good athletes who play for the love of the game first and foremost. And I would venture to guess that he feels like, at age 28, he has unfinished business thanks in large to the porous medical staff of the Blazers. I'm not a doctor, but i feel that running an athlete back on the court 8 days after knee surgery is imprudent.

In addition, there would hardly be any risk. Roy would be signed for cheap (he's still getting 100% of his Portland contract). The Suns are not going to run him out on the court before hea ready. For example, Michael Redd, a player who had multiple invasive knee procedures in his career, was able to be productive off the bench for us last season. The Suns waited weeks before playing him and Redd had no setback.

Seriously....why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chickenhead

Reaction score
l'll qualify my support by saying that if the Suns medical staff evaluates Roy and thinks it's worth a try, then I'd be interested in seeing what happens. That's probably the first step. Same with Oden.

Man I wish we'd gotten the picks and/or players Portland has gotten...they really have damaged their own goods.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Unofficial reports are saying that Minnesota is going to offer Roy a 2-year deal.

I just saw that today as well. I wonder if the Suns feel that having two reclamation projects on the roster might be a bit much. Although, there's no guarantee we resign Redd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson