Brandon Jennings is tearing it up so far

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His stats are unbelievable. I can't wait to see him in a UofA uniform next year. The Cats will be loaded next year if Chase and/or Bayless come back. Here is a little info on Brandon from today's Hansen article
http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/215485

Jennings, scheduled to arrive in 2008, might be the best hoops recruit — ever
Sophomore point guard Nic Wise played so well in Arizona's dazzling comeback victory over Illinois on Saturday that you can picture him taking charge of that position through the 2009-10 season.
But what about incoming freshman point guard Brandon Jennings of Virginia's Oak Hill Academy? It isn't a stretch to say that Jennings might be the most talented player ever recruited to Arizona. Yes, and that includes Chris Mills, Mike Bibby, and everyone else.
Through six games for the nation's No. 1 prep basketball team, Jennings is averaging 40.5 points and 9.6 assists. That's not all. He is averaging 6.8 steals and he is shooting .573 afield. He's also a skilled free-throw shooter (.865). All against the nation's top high school schedule.
You can get a full look at Jennings on Thursday at 7 p.m. on ESPN. His team will play St. Benedict's (N.J.) in a Kentucky tournament. Oak Hill remains tentatively scheduled to play at McKale Center on Feb. 17.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty insane for Oak Hill which is typically loaded with D1 prospects, you never see a kid with numbers like that there.

I also heard that malik Story the USC recruit was expelled from Oak Hill and is looking for a new school.

Jennings is a stud.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7pm Arizona time tonight as a reminder.

I'm "settling" for watching this game since I don't live in Southern California. There's a tournament going in there that has a matchup tonight at 8:15 of Campbell Hall(Jrue Holliday) and Compton(Demar Derozan).

Looking forward to watching Jennnigs plus I'm dying to hear what if anything they offer as explanation for Malik Story no longer being at Oak Hill.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon is a freak athlete but I have to say there are a few things tonight I didn't like.

First off I really hate the mechanics on his shot, he snaps his hand back instead of following through and he has way too much movement of the ball on the shot, even on his freethrows he doesn't hold the ball still before releasing it. He took terrible shots tonight, admittedly they were keying on him but he's taking fallback 3's from 25 feet more than once.

Defensively he stands straight up and down, hands at his side and tries to bait the guy into a pass he can steal.

All that is correctable and frankly he's probably a bit bored, but it's the 2nd real game I've seen him play on tv and he was the same in both games. Last year against Derrick Rose he barely scored until the 4th quarter and was really lazy on defense.

Athletically he's off the charts he's comparable to Iverson in that regard but he does need to become more focussed.

But yeah if Bayless stays UA is going to have one hell of a backcourt next year.

I thought Jrue last week took a lot of bad shots and forced the ball too much, I suspect both kids were trying to show off a bit because they knew the games were on ESPN.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Next Saturday(Dec. 22) Jennings and Oak Hill will be playing after the Cats/San Diego State game. I definitely will be going to that game.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
When Jennings was forcing the issue and trying to score he looked terrible. But when he ran the offense and tried to find the open guy he looked terrific. I'm not worried about the defense thing, if he pulls that garbage next year then he'll be on the bench and Nic Wise will run the show.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Jennings was forcing the issue and trying to score he looked terrible. But when he ran the offense and tried to find the open guy he looked terrific. I'm not worried about the defense thing, if he pulls that garbage next year then he'll be on the bench and Nic Wise will run the show.

Yeah I think he got bored. I remember watching Jason Kidd in HS and he used to get so bored he'd switch and start playing left handed, things like that to keep himself interested. Jennings has been the best guy on the floor basically since his soph year so I think you can understand him being a bit lax at times.

The talent is ridiculous, Iverson is really the best comparison I can make he can literally get anywhere he wants to with his jets, and then he's long enough and bouncy enough to finish against much bigger guys.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Yeah, I watched some of the game last night. Didn't look that great, but he is a great great talent. I just hope Bayless stays next year. If he does, we will be loaded. I don't think Budinger will stay. He is a lottery pick. Its too bad. But an exciting future.