Bill Duffy with some interesting comments.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...e_Prudent_To_Entertain_Trading_Nash_In_Summer

Looks like Nash wants out after all. I cant say I blame him. On the other side of the coin I dont think we are that far off from having a contending team again.

I read that babby was happy with where the suns are at and basically doesnt want to make any big moves before the deadline (stupid). Looks like nash just forced their hand to make a move or consider the future. Clearly this is a message.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What in that article says that Nash wants out?? Duffy basically said that it makes sense that the Suns MAY entertain the idea of trading Nash, and that they are prepared should that happen.

Basically, this isn't news but is being touted as much. And you fell for it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, first of all, neither Dragic nor Dowdell is ready to run this team full time, in an offense that needs a strong point guard. I am not saying this couldn't happen, but the Suns would have to draft/trade for a better point guard in order to let Nash go. Otherwise this franchise falls flat on it's face.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...e_Prudent_To_Entertain_Trading_Nash_In_Summer

Looks like Nash wants out after all. I cant say I blame him. On the other side of the coin I dont think we are that far off from having a contending team again.

I read that babby was happy with where the suns are at and basically doesnt want to make any big moves before the deadline (stupid). Looks like nash just forced their hand to make a move or consider the future. Clearly this is a message.
Steve's agent is talking about the possibility of moving Steve during the summer. I guess we can assume that he has Steve's OK to mention that possibility.

That is hardly the same as saying that it looks like Nash wants out after all.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His agent just said, "If you want to trade me, I would not be against it."

So, what does that mean? It's pretty close. Its asking without trying to force it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
His agent just said, "If you want to trade me, I would not be against it."

So, what does that mean? It's pretty close. Its asking without trying to force it.

Huh? Where did that come from? He said that it makes sense for the Suns to explore the possibility--and that he would be paying attention. There was neither a request nor a promise.

I mean, even your wording is off. The agent said that he's ok with being traded? Again, this is non-news and you're falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Where did that come from? He said that it makes sense for the Suns to explore the possibility--and that he would be paying attention. There was neither a request nor a promise.

I mean, even your wording is off. The agent said that he's ok with being traded? Again, this is non-news and you're falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Duffy appears to be saying it only makes sense that the Suns look towards the future this summer and that future may involve trading Nash... and they are prepared to look at this option. The fact that Duffy is putting this possibility out there is saying both parties understand the situation with the Suns franchise going forward.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Duffy appears to be saying it only makes sense that the Suns look towards the future this summer and that future may involve trading Nash... and they are prepared to look at this option. The fact that Duffy is putting this possibility out there is saying both parties understand the situation with the Suns franchise going forward.

...which is what I said. Twice.

But a couple people have interpreted it to mean a trade has been requested.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...which is what I said. Twice.

But a couple people have interpreted it to mean a trade has been requested.

Keep up the good work. Let's try for a third time. :D

OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You interpret it one way, I see it another. The fact that duffy has even come out and spoke for nash tells me that while steve may be saying one thing hes talking different behind closed doors. I think its a pretty obvious nudge nudge wink wink twords the suns office. But thats just me. Sorry for having an opinion chaplin.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You interpret it one way, I see it another. The fact that duffy has even come out and spoke for nash tells me that while steve may be saying one thing hes talking different behind closed doors. I think its a pretty obvious nudge nudge wink wink twords the suns office. But thats just me. Sorry for having an opinion chaplin.
The Suns come from behind win in Utah, despite our horrid 3-point shooting and the emphasis on defense to close out the win may be the catalyst to end this subject for awhile.

We really do need Nash running the show to pull it together.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I really don't know if it means anything. It's so hard to get into the minds of these people because history has shown us that they don't really think the way human beings do. They may look like us but the similarity ends there.

My read on this statement is that if Nash was against being traded this comment would have never been made. If he's in favor of being traded, this is probably the most likely first step towards such an end. If he's neutral to the idea, I guess it's reasonable to also make this comment but I can't think of what purpose that would serve. Therefore, it seems to me that it is quite probably the first step towards encouraging the organization to consider moving him.

If it is a first step, I find it interesting that it pretty much removes any possibility of a mid-season trade. Come to think of it, maybe that was the actual intent. Perhaps management has put out trade feelers and this is Steve's way of saying that he's willing to go elsewhere but not until the off-season.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's summer speculation. The fact that you guys are making it more than it is is exactly what the media (and probably Duffy himself) want you to do.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't know if it means anything. It's so hard to get into the minds of these people because history has shown us that they don't really think the way human beings do. They may look like us but the similarity ends there.

My read on this statement is that if Nash was against being traded this comment would have never been made. If he's in favor of being traded, this is probably the most likely first step towards such an end. If he's neutral to the idea, I guess it's reasonable to also make this comment but I can't think of what purpose that would serve. Therefore, it seems to me that it is quite probably the first step towards encouraging the organization to consider moving him.

If it is a first step, I find it interesting that it pretty much removes any possibility of a mid-season trade. Come to think of it, maybe that was the actual intent. Perhaps management has put out trade feelers and this is Steve's way of saying that he's willing to go elsewhere but not until the off-season.

Steve

Yep. That's the way I see it. He is putting his toe in the water. "I'd kind of like to be traded, but if you don't want to trade me, that's OK too" kind of thing.

Its not the end of the world. Its just interesting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will part with Nash this summer if they can get some value in return. IMO, the writing is on the wall coming from Duffy. I think his comments were just setting the table.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If there is a lockout, and it still looks like there will be, this entire thread will be rendered worthless.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If there is a lockout, and it still looks like there will be, this entire thread will be rendered worthless.

If there is a lockout, and it is season long, then we could be watching the last of Steve Nash in a Suns uniform right now, in the next few months.

Errntknght

Reaction score
If there is a lockout, and it is season long, then we could be watching the last of Steve Nash in a Suns uniform right now, in the next few months.

That is probably true for Grant Hill as well... in fact, its probably more likely in Grants case.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Perhaps, but if there is a season-long lockout, there will be a lot more other problems as well. And you can say that with most teams too.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this NBA draft/trade system, so if someone could be kind to explain, what are the reasons behind the lockout anyway?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this NBA draft/trade system, so if someone could be kind to explain, what are the reasons behind the lockout anyway?

Money. Both sides want a bigger share. That's pretty much it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money. Both sides want a bigger share. That's pretty much it.

I hate all this lockout crap. The players are greedy and you can't believe the owners.

The last time the league made a huge deal about how much money teams were losing...wasn't it Forbes or something that posted information that contradicted that notion?

I remember something like that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate all this lockout crap. The players are greedy and you can't believe the owners.

The last time the league made a huge deal about how much money teams were losing...wasn't it Forbes or something that posted information that contradicted that notion?

I remember something like that.

First off, these are different times but secondly, usually when I see this kind of info been reported they've also included the increase in value of the franchise itself. Simplisticly, if a team is losing a million dollars every year but the franchise increases in value by 1.1 million dollars every year, the players side has always been that they are still making money. I'm not positive about the Forbes report you refer to but I suspect it's the same argument.

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's Bill Duffy's job as Nash's agent to consider all the possibilities, and this interview is Duffy thinking out loud.

Nash has since reaffirmed he's not looking for a trade or moving on, he'll be able to live life beyond basketball without a championship trophy, he doesn't want to play anywhere else.

But even if the Suns DID want to trade Nash right now, what they could get in return would be offensive to all of you. Basically it would be an expiring contract and cash or something like that. Nash has almost zero value as a commodity because of his age and his relatively special area of expertise. No one's going to give up anything of value for half of a season of Nash.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Trade Nash. If a team with Nash playing less than 30 min per game can win 56 games or more in the regular season, it has a great chance to win the title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson