Bickley's new column

outcent

Rookie
Reaction score
Well said and point noted. I wish Matty all the best and hope he finds happiness in whatever happens next. However I will not feel sorry for someone who just got 10 million dollars in severance pay. I was actually thinking it would be cool to bring him on as a minor league coach or something. With all the problems our young guys are having on defense he might be able to help. Just a thought.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Now that was a nice editorial. I read what all the guys said in another post about Williams and was a little disappointed in their responses. Matt was a great defensive player...extremely smooth and efficient. You could count on him getting that out on the opponent 95% of the time when the ball ended up in his playing field. His offensive skills have diminished the past two years. But if I can remember right, hasn't he hit more Homeruns than Hillenbrand this year? I don't know about RBI. I never liked his swing as he always ended up with only one hand on the bat when he missed the pitch.

I remember last year discussing going to a game. At that time I was never a William's fan. However, he did not play in that game and he was always standing at the dugout rail watching and observing. For the first time....he appeared so YOUNG. In person he looked a lot younger than on TV. He also looked VULNERABLE. If I were him I would do the same thing as all the other players have done. Colangelo made a deal to bring him here and you can't go against the contract you made. You guys call it greed, but I call it having a good agent. JC did not need or have to sign him to the contract he did, but he did to bring legitimacy to this team. Each one of you guys would fight for your job and pay.....only a human response. You people pay the salary, Colangelo bargains with the players and the players are to some degree the pawns. Well paid Pawns for their skills or they could end up as unknowns if they don't have a good commodity to sell.

Colangelo has to pay the remainder of his salary....a huge one at that. Gee ...next year the guy who plays Ray Barrone (Everybody loves Raymond) gets 2 mil an episode. That is a minimum of 40+ mil a year. I think Doris Roberts who plays his Mom Marie deserves the same salary. It comes down to supply and demand.... Colangelo paid for what he originally wanted and now he pays the piper.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by minercon
You guys call it greed, but I call it having a good agent.

I call it both. Neither of which helps the D-Backs, which is Matt Williams is no Mark McGwire.

unc84steve

Veteran
Reaction score
I thought the column was the least the AZ Republic could do for Matt Williams--and I mean that literally--the bare minimum.

Matt Williams was always a "ballplayer" who worked hard and didn't try to promote himself. He still has MLB skills (he hits LHP, he still is an good fielder--his skills are fading though).

The Phillies who just gave Dave Bell about $17 million in guarenteed money wished they were getting Matty's current offensive production. I don't know how well he'd hold up on the current version of the Vet's turf.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by unc84steve
I thought the column was the least the AZ Republic could do for Matt Williams--and I mean that literally--the bare minimum.

They've done enough. Trust me.

I just kept reading through Bickley's piece for the part about the old Matt Williams coming back and hitting 30 homers.

Now I know it's officially over.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn