Bears to sign Stewart in days?

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
We'd better start looking at Jeff Blake...

Bears | Stewart Update - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
10:51 PT: Updating previous stories, Mike Mulligan, of the Chicago Sun Times, reports free agent QB Kordell Stewart's (Steelers) agent, Leigh Steinberg, spoke about the ongoing negotiations with the Chicago Bears. "The pace has accelerated,'' he said. "I don't think it will be done [today], but it's going to take days as opposed to weeks.''

Jim O

Reaction score
The KFFL blurb is misleading. Read the entire article that they refer to:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bear07.html

Steinberg refers to the free agency process taking days, not weeks...not the Bears specifically.

Bears prepare offer for Stewart

March 7, 2003

BY MIKE MULLIGAN STAFF REPORTER

The Bears let quarterback Kor-dell Stewart leave town Thursday night without offering him a contract, but only because they still are formulating a deal that they are expected to present to agent Leigh Steinberg this morning.

"They indicated they would call [today] and start discussions,'' said Steinberg, who said his client is "extremely excited'' about the opportunity to play for the Bears.

Stewart, who toured Soldier Field and dined with the Bears' brain trust on Wednesday, visited Halas Hall on Thursday to meet with coaches, personnel staff and players. Like Jake Plummer before him, Stewart chatted with middle linebacker Brian Urlacher and wide receiver Marty Booker along with other players working out at Halas Hall.

Stewart has received a contract offer from the Arizona Cardinals and has attracted interest from the Baltimore Ravens and Miami Dolphins. He might make his final decision a lot sooner than expected, said Steinberg, who originally predicted the process would take about a month.

"The pace has accelerated,'' Steinberg said. "I don't think it will be done [today], but it's going to take days as opposed to weeks.''

The Bears also appear to have accelerated their timetable after being rebuffed by Plummer and seeing another possible option, Jake Delhomme, sign with the Carolina Panthers. They don't want to be the last team standing without a quarterback when this game of free-agent musical chairs ends.

With that in mind, they brought Jeff Blake to town Thursday evening and have begun inquiries into what he might be seeking, a source close to the player said.

Blake, 32, an 11-year journeyman who has started 87 regular-season games for four teams, started the final 10 games of last season for the Ravens after Chris Redman was hurt. They wanted to bring him back as their starter so much that coach Brian Billick traveled to Florida to meet with Blake and discuss the reported $2million to $3 million difference in first-year compensation that halted a deal.

Billick told reporters in Baltimore on Thursday that the team's offer is now off the table and the Ravens will look elsewhere. In addition to visiting the Bears, Blake has scheduled trips to Pittsburgh on Sunday and Arizona next week.

"There was no ultimatum,'' Billick said. "My intentions were to give him an opportunity to take leadership of this team, to show this team that his commitment was to come here and be their quarterback. It's Jeff's right to take himself into free agency, but in doing so, he made it very clear he was not interested in what I was offering him ... so it is prudent for us to move on.''

Meanwhile, Plummer was introduced in Denver after agreeing to a seven-year, $40 million deal that included a $7 million signing bonus and a second $6 million bonus deferred to the third year of the contract. Plummer might not have meant to insult the Bears but did anyway when he said his final decision came down to "playing in the Super Bowl--not just playing in it, but winning it. I truly believe that can happen here.''

Presumably, he felt it couldn't happen in Chicago.

The deal with the Broncos was regarded as such a foregone conclusion that many observers were surprised he even bothered visiting the Bears. Perhaps he hoped to drive up the amount of his contract. If that was the case, he must have been sorely disappointed by the Bears' offer, which was virtually identical to the one the Broncos gave him except for more base salary in the first two years.

The contract can be broken into two parts, with Plummer getting $8.1 million over the first two years (the $7 million signing bonus and a minimum salary of $550,000) and $32 million over the last five. If things don't work out and the Broncos cut him, they would lose only $5 million against the salary cap (the prorated portion of the signing bonus).

It's unlikely the Bears would offer the same contract to Stewart, even though he's being pursued by the Cardinals, who have $34 million to spend under the salary cap--more than any other team and three times more than the Bears. In theory anyway, Stewart should come cheaper.

The benefit of contracts with two-tiered bonus money is they allow the team an out if the player doesn't live up to expectations or if a younger player is developed in the meantime. Steinberg said before the free-agent hunt began that one of the things Stewart would want from a team with a high draft pick was a guarantee it wouldn't use it on a quarterback.

That means the Bears likely would wait until the second round to address the position in the draft. Of course, that seems to have been the plan all along.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I like Blake better anyway.

Ugh.

MY thoughts exactly I think if he signs with the bears it's good for us because it might force us to make the right decision and pursue Blake.

Sounds like O'Donnell is only looking at Tennessee or the Vikings so we're not a player there. Given how Graves speaks of McCown I'm really starting to believe we may very well pass on Leftwich if he's there because we like McCown.

Not sure I agree but I of course don't have the luxury of having watched McCown play as much as Graves has.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mrospi
Big deal...... move on to Blake, Griese, or Miller........Just need to find someone competent.....

No on Miller due to injuries...just coming off rotator cuff surgery and I am not sure he will be healthy for camp. No on Griese unless a trade is somehow worked out before the first minicamp. I cannot fathom bringing in a QB after June1 and trying to have an offense do anything.

Yes to Blake, which I have said all along.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
More like we better start looking at Leftwich!!!

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
I think Blake would be a better fit considering that Sully seems to be an aggresive coach, and that would translate into a vertical passing game to coincide with our speed at Wr. Blake throws the long ball the best out of the remaining FA's.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I think its looking like we should bring in Eric Crouch and run the option with these QB's left on the market.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
QB search takes twist
Blake may be wedge to lower Stewart's price

By John Mullin
Tribune staff reporter

March 6, 2003, 10:34 PM CST

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo engaged in a little brinksmanship Thursday when he refrained from making a contract offer to free-agent quarterback Kordell Stewart.

It's a move reminiscent of last off-season, when Angelo was "rolling the dice" in a successful gamble on how the free-agent market would play out for center Olin Kreutz.

Stewart, 30, has what agent Leigh Steinberg described as a "serious" offer from the Arizona Cardinals. But contrary to one published report that Stewart would get an offer Thursday, the Bears planned to wait till Friday.

In fact, the Bears began general talks with veteran quarterback Jeff Blake on Thursday.

Whether they are using Blake as leverage to get Stewart's price down into the $3 million-per-season range is conjecture, but Blake's price is dropping because his talks with the Baltimore Ravens have fizzled.

Stewart, whose prospects with the Bears became much better after quarterback Jake Plummer signed with Denver on Wednesday, spent two busy days in Chicago.

On Thursday, he visited Halas Hall and spent time with wide receiver Marty Booker, Kreutz and linebacker Brian Urlacher, all of whom encouraged him to become a Bear.

"Kordell was enthusiastic about the couple of days he spent in Chicago," Steinberg said. "This was an extremely rigorous two days, really, really exhaustive."

Stewart met not only with key members of the offensive unit but also with Angelo, quarterbacks coach Greg Olson, offensive coordinator John Shoop and head coach Dick Jauron.

Stewart and the Bears believe he would be a good fit in the offense because he has operated successfully in an offense that has allowed him to utilize his mobility. The Bears have made no secret they seek more mobility than Chris Chandler, Shane Matthews and Jim Miller represented in recent seasons.

But their offense under Shoop has been criticized for rigidity and it has relied on traditional West Coast timing in route running and delivering the ball, less on improvisation at quarterback.

While with Pittsburgh, Stewart had an inconsistent relationship with volatile Steelers coach Bill Cowher, whose emotions were evident in the jut of his jaw. Bears players made a point to Stewart that Jauron has gotten consistent effort out of them despite adversity by delivering his sharpest criticisms in private.

Blake and agent Ralph Cindrich have been negotiating for him to return to Baltimore, but the Ravens have been unwilling to put up starter's money. Blake will make visits to teams other than the Bears. Blake, 32, is the oldest and most prolific of the passers the Bears have brought in. He has thrown 119 touchdown passes and 83 interceptions.

On another front, the Jacksonville Jaguars have entered the chase for linebacker Rosevelt Colvin and will have the Bears' sacks leader the last two seasons in for talks Friday. The Jaguars also are looking at Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas and are unsure whether they would have Colvin stay at linebacker or add a little weight to move to end full time with his pass-rushing skills.