Basketball star Kawhi Leonard sues Nike over use of logo

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basketball star Kawhi Leonard sues Nike over use of logo

https://www.bizjournals.com/portlan...kawhi-leonard-sues-nike-over-use.html?ana=twt

You must be registered for see images attach

Toronto Raptors star basketball player Kawhi Leonard has filed a federal lawsuit against Nike. He claims he designed the logo that appeared on his Nike apparel and the sportswear company, unbeknownst to him, "falsely" claimed it created the logo in a copyright registration.

A Nike spokesman did not immediately return a message.

The lawsuit was filed Monday in United States District Court in Southern California. Leonard is from San Diego.

Last week, the New York Times reported that the Los Angeles Clippers "have quietly looked into the feasibility of purchasing the portion of the rights to Leonard's 'Klaw' logo that is still owned by Nike."

Leonard, who is currently playing in the NBA Finals, is a free agent at the end of the season. He is expected to be courted by several teams, including the Clippers.

In the nine-page lawsuit, Leonard claims the logo is an extension of drawings he started making early in his college career and he gave Nike permission to use the logo "on certain merchandise" when he had an endorsement deal with Nike. Leonard claims Nike filed an application for copyright registration for the logo without his consent.

Leonard's Nike deal expired on Sept. 30, 2018, according to the lawsuit. He now endorses New Balance.

In the lawsuit, Leonard claims he wants to use the logo on clothing, footwear and other products, including in connection with sports camps and charity functions.

He also claims Nike asked him to stop using the logo in December 2018. Leonard claims his attorneys then asked Nike to rescind its copyrights to the logo. He alleges Nike responded in March saying it owned "all intellectual property rights" to the logo and demanded Leonard stop using it immediately.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kawhi should come up with a new logo that’s still a hand giving the Nike swoosh the middle finger.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I can see how that happened. You can't let out a clothing line with a tag that is not protected. Maybe this is a legal thing where it's not easy just to hand over the copyright to Leonard. Sounds like no one at Nike knows what's going on and were surprised by Leonard.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Nike should sue Leonard for including the Nike swoosh in his logo.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I watched a former NBA player on ESPN, who pointed out, it's not even worth keeping the logo for Nike if they don't have the star (player) to go with it for promotional purposes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Look at the ‘L’ or third finger from the left, tilt your head to the right and then flip the image horizontally.
I thought that was what you’re getting at. That’s no swoosh. Wouldn’t stand up under scrutiny as a mark.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I read the Knicks feel they are going to make a run at Kawhi.