Bacon

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There was a period of time.... mostly during the '90s, that bacon was taboo. Bacon was John Rocker walking around Harlem, it was and still probably is the worst thing you can ingest into your body that is considered food. It's basically salty fat.... but damn it if it doesn't taste good.

I've noticed it has been making a comeback, it's on the dollar menus, it's becoming more sociably acceptable. Maybe it was that creepy Atkins Diet where people had to eat a pound a day that they remembered their love affair.

I probably went years without bacon and substituted my cravings with Turkey bacon or something else repulsive. Now it's made in my house twice a month. The aroma of cooking bacon is intoxicating, it almost feels naughty to an extent to savor the golden goodness.

I only type this because I am craving a Wendy's bacon deluxe burger and my will power is weakening.

Oh how I love bacon

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sausage is the way to go. Right Pariah?

Sausage has it's place, but it's lacks the versatility of bacon. You don't go into a resturant and order a cheeseburger with a slab of sausage on it and there is no SLT (Sausage Lettuce and Tomato) sandwich (that would be schutd like disgusting)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does everyone cook their bacon?

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I do mine in the oven and it stays flat and doesn't curl up. If I need it crispy, I go skillet

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bacon wrapped shrimp. OMG. I love Bacon, but I get scared at the heart palpitations I get after eating it. I had some Mega Fries when I was on my pig out diet while my Mother-In-Law was here. They are fries with 4 different cheeses, sour cream, and bacon. They may be the most singularly delicious/dangerous food ever created.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
How does everyone cook their bacon?

I buy the precooked stuff at Costco. Then you just microwave for a few seconds.

Much better than using the broiler and setting off the smoke alarm. :)

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I'll cook up half a package on a weekend morning, then use the grease in the pan to fry eggs, or use it to grease the pan for french toast.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
So if you pour all that bacon grease from the fat into a pyrex measuring cup, can you reuse it later, and if so, how long does that last?

Also, did you know that bacon grease was used to make ammo back during WW2?