BA - Classic line about DJ Humphries - Knee Deep

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA is a very entertaining interview and this may be my favorite "one liner" from him.

http://arizonasports.com/2015/08/11/arizona-cardinals-training-camp-all-access-with-bruce-arians-8/

What did it take to get Humphries serious

“A knee in his ass every day. A foot wasn’t going to do it, so I nicknamed him ‘knee deep.’”

I also like how much he shares and does call out players at times.

BA praises some of ASFN's most criticized players; Minter & Cooper.

good to hear ANYTHING positive about Minter/Cooper. Need those guys to be contributors big time this season.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good to hear ANYTHING positive about Minter/Cooper. Need those guys to be contributors big time this season.

I have watched a few videos of camp where Minter looks stout at the point of attack and was driving right through TE's and RB's. Looks very strong.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels that such nicknames, if necessary, should be kept in house? I find it embarrassing and demeaning---the kid is 20 years old---you drafted him, so does this mean you did a lousy job of assessing his character and work ethic?

I am sorry BA, but maybe it is time to start doing a better job of assimilating high draft pick rookies into your complex offense (Cooper, Niklas, Humphries). And maybe if you have character and/or work ethic concerns about a high draft pick, you'd better go with a player you won't have to make a public disgrace of before he has even played in one pre-season game.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels that such nicknames, if necessary, should be kept in house? I find it embarrassing and demeaning---the kid is 20 years old---you drafted him, so does this mean you did a lousy job of assessing his character and work ethic?

I am sorry BA but maybe it is time to start doing a better job of assimilating the rookies into your complex offense. And maybe if you have character and/or work ethic concerns about a high draft pick, you'd better go with a player you won't have to make a public disgrace of before he has even played in one pre-season game.

He is a straight shooter, i prefer what he is doing over what our last few coaches did.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, shooting his own players publicly.

If they need shooting, shoot em.

I played for a few different coaches over my pop warner, high school, and collegiate career and the coaches that were hardest on the top players and those with high expectations usually got the most out of them and garnered the most attention and respect of the rest of the team. The coach who was softest with his stars got the least. I don't think it's a coincidence.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am sorry BA, but maybe it is time to start doing a better job of assimilating high draft pick rookies into your complex offense (Cooper, Niklas, Humphries). And maybe if you have character and/or work ethic concerns about a high draft pick, you'd better go with a player you won't have to make a public disgrace of before he has even played in one pre-season game.

The kid just signed a multi-million dollar contract. If he thinks he arrived because he got drafted in the first round then Humphries is in for a rude awakening.

This kid is still very young and immature. However the NFL won't wait for you to grow up. Someone needs to light a fire under this kid and get him going.

Really I think it should be the Veterans on the OL that do this. It is kind of concerning that BA is the one having to do this and not one of the leaders of the OL. I guess the question is "Who are the leaders of the OL?" Are there any? Why hasn't a Vet taken Humphries under his wing and tried to show him the ropes? Maybe some vets have tried and he hasn't been receptive.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kid just signed a multi-million dollar contract. If he thinks he arrived because he got drafted in the first round then Humphries is in for a rude awakening.

This kid is still very young and immature. However the NFL won't wait for you to grow up. Someone needs to light a fire under this kid and get him going.

Really I think it should be the Veterans on the OL that do this. It is kind of concerning that BA is the one having to do this and not one of the leaders of the OL. I guess the question is "Who are the leaders of the OL?" Are there any? Why hasn't a Vet taken Humphries under his wing and tried to show him the ropes? Maybe some vets have tried and he hasn't been receptive.

maybe they all have and he has just been being a immature 20 year old.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I recall Mitch writing an article suggesting we fire Denny Green before he had coached a single game for calling out LJ Shelton through the media. Now BA is a troublemaker for calling out a 1st round pick? Dude is 21-11, he gets a pass.

Mitch

Reaction score
Good coaching is learning what buttons to push in each player---and every player is different. A coach is naive or pigheaded if he thinks he can treat all the players the same. I believe that the best coaches do not have to compromise their own and the players' integrity. There are many ways to motivate a player, but demeaning a player publicly by referring to him as embarrassing as "Knee Deep" is never a good way. Never. If a coach wants a player to behave mike a man, he needs to treat him like one.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good coaching is learning what buttons to push in each player---and every player is different. A coach is naive or pigheaded if he thinks he can treat all the players the same. I believe that the best coaches do not have to compromise their own and the players' integrity. There are many ways to motivate a player, but demeaning a player publicly by referring to him as embarrassing as "Knee Deep" is never a good way. Never. If a coach wants a player to behave mike a man, he needs to treat him like one.

Well Mitch, maybe you should take over for B.A. He isn't cutting it apparently.

The guy has produced two seasons over 10 wins and we are questioning his ability to motivate? really?

Last edited:

Mitch

Reaction score
Well Mitch, maybe you should take over for B.A. He isn't cutting it apparently.

There are things about BA that rub me the wrong way...like what he said on national TV about the Rams last year. He has a big mouth---and it will get him in trouble---it always does.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

???

It's one of the "buttons" you referred to in your first sentence. And it's simply judged on whether it works or not.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I much rather have a direct and to the point leader myself. These are grown men making big time money--if they can't take nicknames they need to look for a different career.

It's not like he questioned the guys manhood, called in to play his upbringing or made light of his ethnic background.

Mitch

Reaction score
???

It's one of the "buttons" you referred to in your first sentence. And it's simply judged on whether it works or not.

The context I am stressing here is the public ridicule---it's one thing to push a button like that privately with a player and his position coach---but it is another to do so in the media.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The context I am stressing here is the public ridicule---it's one thing to push a button like that privately with a player and his position coach---but it is another to do so in the media.

some guys need media ridicule.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn