ASU's New Head Coach Is Kenny Dillingham

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That having a guy use you as a stepping stone can be a good thing! It means you're good!

No. It means if you are hiring stepping stone coaches, the program will likely always be in rebuild mode.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who ever suggested such an idea?

Yeah, I agree, which is why I posted the history. Nearly all of them have gone away from ASU. Do you honestly think there has been no effort made to build relationships with the local schools?

Maybe in terms of volume, but AZ has some elite kids. If you can figure out how to get them to stay in AZ, you'd be a rich man. Hiring Aguano wouldn't make that happen anyway.

Another red herring. Nobody has suggested that. Devote resources, but be realistic.

It would be great if we could! Again - hard to figure it out, and more questionable to devote major resources if they won't bear fruit. It's much more important to me that our next head coach recruit the west coast effectively than Arizona.
I took it as you said that. You said ASU cannot build through just Arizona kids. Look back at what you wrote.

We all agree actually. You are just being argumentative.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vance Joseph's brother anybody?

The article indicates that ASU has hired an outside agency to do the coaching search. The last time we did that a limited number of candidates were in the mix, including Todd Graham who was with the same agency. That's my recollection anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vance Joseph's brother anybody?

The article indicates that ASU has hired an outside agency to do the coaching search. The last time we did that a limited number of candidates were in the mix, including Todd Graham who was with the same agency. That's my recollection anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

How about hiring Vance Joseph and solving half of the Cardinals coaching problems at the same time. ;)

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about hiring Vance Joseph and solving half of the Cardinals coaching problems at the same time. ;)

Ha! That would surely turn all those adoring fans on the Cardinals board into instant ASU fans, right?

I don't know anything about Mickey Joseph, other than what I read on Wikipedia this morning. Not much head coaching experience, but a quality person for sure.

Early coaching career[edit]​

From 1995 to 1996, Joseph was quarterbacks and wide receivers coach at Omaha North High School. In 1997, he became running game coordinator at Wayne State College in Wayne, Nebraska. Joseph returned to his alma mater, Archbishop Shaw High School, in 1998 as quarterbacks coach.

In 1999, Joseph became a graduate assistant at Tulane. For the 2000 season, he was wide receivers coach at Alabama State. From 2001 to 2003, Joseph served as quarterbacks coach at Nicholls State University.[11] Starting in 2004, he became running backs coach at Central Oklahoma until 2005.

In 2005, Joseph left college football and took a job in his hometown of New Orleans as a coach, seventh-grade history and gym teacher at Desire Street Academy. This was an all-boys school located in one of the poorest neighborhoods that is in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans, Louisiana. Then in late August 2005, Joseph's school suffered badly from the flooding and other damage caused by Hurricane Katrina forcing Desire Street Academy to relocate some four hours east of New Orleans to a 4-H camp which is located along the Choctawhatchee Bay in Florida.[12]

It was then that Joseph took on a surrogate fatherlike role as he was able to round up 75 of his students from Louisiana and relocate them to the 4-H camp in Florida. This program known as "Florida 4-H Youth Development" was led by former Heisman Trophy winner and Washington Redskins' quarterback, Danny Wuerffel. There, Joseph took care of his students, survivors of Hurricane Katrina, by serving as their dorm resident. "I'm a dorm dad," commented Joseph. "Actually, they say I'm the dorm grandpa, because I'm a supervisor of the dorm dads." Joseph mentored the children who were separated from their families during this period of tribulation in the fall of 2005.[12]

For Joseph, his role was expanded as he found more and more of his time being spent with his displaced students. He made certain they were all in bed by 10:00 pm and was still their teacher as classroom responsibilities fell upon him early in the day. He also had a football team formed from his available student body that finished with a record of 2-1 that fall. When he was interviewed in November 2005, Joseph explained of the harsh realities his children had experienced of how they were traumatized in some way. He explained that some had stayed at the New Orleans Superdome for days. Joseph summarized his students' lives by saying, "They showed a lot of courage to just come here and continue their education, but they're really out of their environment. And I'm going to teach them now living with them. So I've been really able to find out a lot of things about them." Then Joseph added, "I'm literally raising them. So some days are good. Some days are bad ... but there's never a day where you say, 'I want to quit.'"[12]

Langston[edit]​

From 2011 to 2013, Joseph was the head coach at Langston University.[13] Joseph had been an assistant coach for the Lions from 2008 to 2011.

Alcorn State[edit]​

In 2013, Joseph was the assistant head coach/wide receivers coach and special teams coordinator at Alcorn State.

Grambling State[edit]​

In 2014 and 2015, Joseph served as the wide receivers coach and special teams coordinator at Grambling State.

Louisiana Tech[edit]​

On January 15, 2016, Joseph was hired as the running backs coach for Louisiana Tech and coached the 2016 season at that position.[14]

LSU[edit]​

On February 7, 2017, Joseph was named wide receivers coach at LSU.[15] In 2020, Joseph received the additional title of assistant head coach at LSU.[16]

Nebraska[edit]​

In December 2021, it was announced that Joseph would return to his alma mater as the wide receivers coach, associate head coach, and passing game coordinator.[17][18] After the firing of coach Scott Frost on September 11, 2022, Joseph was named interim head coach.

But I am a bit squeemish about ASU turning the coaching search over to one of these outside agencies.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things are looking brighter for Vance Joseph and less likely for Mickey Joseph. ;)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mixed feelings on Aguano, on the one hand he is doing a lot of great things, he seems like an awesome person, the players love him, etc. On the other hand, the losses give me pause. Not sure if they are his fault entirely--Injuries, players with the flu, taking over in the middle of the year, bla bla bla. But in theory, the idea that there is some great coach out there with great experience, great recruiting, big name, with a silver bullet is very alluring. Just not sure if ASU can bring in THAT guy while this investigation is still hanging over us.

Let's see how this sucker plays out. I think in all likelihood the season ends with a loss to U of A. They have one of the top passing games in the nation, incredibly talented receivers. Even if our guys are healthy, our DB's are not on that level, yet. Ro and Woods will get there, but not this year. Aguano will be a real tough sell if that's the way this plays out this year.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mixed feelings on Aguano, on the one hand he is doing a lot of great things, he seems like an awesome person, the players love him, etc. On the other hand, the losses give me pause. Not sure if they are his fault entirely--Injuries, players with the flu, taking over in the middle of the year, bla bla bla. But in theory, the idea that there is some great coach out there with great experience, great recruiting, big name, with a silver bullet is very alluring. Just not sure if ASU can bring in THAT guy while this investigation is still hanging over us.

Let's see how this sucker plays out. I think in all likelihood the season ends with a loss to U of A. They have one of the top passing games in the nation, incredibly talented receivers. Even if our guys are healthy, our DB's are not on that level, yet. Ro and Woods will get there, but not this year. Aguano will be a real tough sell if that's the way this plays out this year.

Would it be better to stick with Aguano than a second-tier candidate until the investigation is over? Yes, it could mean another lean couple years, but if the better coaching candidates won't touch ASU until they know what is happening, why saddle the university with a second-tier just because?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenny Dillingham, Oregon Offensive Coordinator and Arizona State alum, has had conversations with ASU.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found this posted by ArizonaSon on the House of Sparky website. Indicates to me if ASU is going to go cheap, they may try to get Dillingham who may take the job for less since he has never been a head coach. Tom Herman may be a better, more experienced candidate, but would be more costly. We'll see if ASU is willing to pay up or not.

Herman made $6.5 million/year his last two years at UT. Herm was due to make $4.1 and $4.3 million his next two years. CTG was being paid $3.2 million/year.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Nebraska of all places can lure Rhrule, why wouldn’t we? We need someone who’s established as a program builder, not some 32 year old experimental OC who spent 1 year at Oregon