ASU's New Head Coach Is Kenny Dillingham

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This change was inevitable and it may end up being a blessing that it came early in the season. I am pulling for Shaun Aguano to doe well and be named as the replacement. That may be be a bridge too far given the hand he has been dealt, we'll see.

Interesting speculation in the media on possible replacement.

On Wolf's radio show today, he mentioned Kenny Dillingham, who is an ASU Alum, via Chaparral High, and supposedly a coaching "savant", now OC with the Ducks.

This article makes a big pitch for Deion Sanders. Interesting idea, but not sure how likely

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lance Leipold is interesting. He’s won everywhere he’s been and is doing wonders with Kansas this year.

Deion is interesting as well since I think he has proven to be able to recruit to Jackson St. He also brings instant attention and credibility to ASU. Just not sure he would consider the ASU job.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s going to be a fair number of jobs opening up this year and not sure where ASU falls on desirability scale

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lance Leipold is interesting. He’s won everywhere he’s been and is doing wonders with Kansas this year.

Deion is interesting as well since I think he has proven to be able to recruit to Jackson St. He also brings instant attention and credibility to ASU. Just not sure he would consider the ASU job.
not to bash ASU, but is ASU that big of a step up?

Would it be better to stay at Kansas and wait for a bigger program to open up?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not to bash ASU, but is ASU that big of a step up?

Would it be better to stay at Kansas and wait for a bigger program to open up?
Yeah, it is a step up from Kansas. In fact it is a bigger step up than it appears

As to your second question, maybe?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
List of likely or certain job openings:

Auburn
Louisville
Georgia Tech
ASU
Nebraska
Navy
Colorado

I think Iowa may end up on list.

There will be others as the season progresses

Last edited:
OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are discussing this on 98.7 (figured out how to stream online at work :)). They are saying some may not be interested in the job with the investigation pending. Perhaps, but ASU sent coaches down the road that were involved and pulled guys like AP off the recruiting trail. These self-imposed sanctions may lessen the blow, who knows. But can the NCAA please wrap it up so we can see what the damage is? :shrug:

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t understand why people think Norvell would choose ASU over FSU. That feels like a step down except the FSU fan base/boosters are way more vocal

Agreed. The FSU job is a big deal. If Norvell is winning there, why would he leave? And if he did leave, they would want to replace him with Deion, an FSU alum.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
List of likely or certain job openings:

Auburn
Louisville
Georgia Tech
ASU
Nebraska
Navy
Colorado

I think Iowa may end up on list.

There will be others as the season progresses
Of all those, I only see Nebraska and Auburn as more meaningful jobs.

Raindog

Reaction score
Agreed. The FSU job is a big deal. If Norvell is winning there, why would he leave? And if he did leave, they would want to replace him with Deion, an FSU alum.
Yep, Deion 100% would be the choice.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I honestly think Deion Sanders would be the ideal candidate. He is very personable which would help him with both recruits and their parents. He has NFL HOF credentials and will obviously bring in coaches with NFL experience to fill out his staff. However I don't see why ASU would appeal to him. He will be next HC at FSU, just a matter of time. Plus with no time table for NCAA investigation to end, that is a big challenge to any incoming coach.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of all those, I only see Nebraska and Auburn as more meaningful jobs.
On it’s face, I agree with you.

Having said that, Auburn is a mess with booster infighting and expectations being excessive compared against reality. If Auburn can get everyone rowing in the same direction, this becomes a good job but right now I have my doubts.

Nebraska is a historically better job but again expectations vs reality is skewed to epic proportions and USC coming into the conference just makes it that much worse. I suspect the Big 10 will move away from divisions which makes things that much harder for Nebraska.

Both are better than ASU but I don’t think it is a slam dunk better

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly think Deion Sanders would be the ideal candidate. He is very personable which would help him with both recruits and their parents. He has NFL HOF credentials and will obviously bring in coaches with NFL experience to fill out his staff. However I don't see why ASU would appeal to him. He will be next HC at FSU, just a matter of time. Plus with no time table for NCAA investigation to end, that is a big challenge to any incoming coach.
He takes ASU and runs a program that is much bigger and more complex than Jackson State while waiting for the FSU job to open?

I tend to think you are right although I think, in the end, this investigation with wither away and only a minor punishment will be levied. NCAA has no teeth any more and if Ray is fired that would mean everyone involved in the allegations would have been sent to the wood chipper.

Raindog

Reaction score
How long would Urban last on Mill Ave in the camera phone era?
January 19, 2023 1:50 PM press conference to announce the hiring of Urban Meyer as next Arizona State head football coach -
ASU President Michael Crow: "Arizona State University is pleased and proud to welcome Coach Meyer to the Sun Devil family and we look forward to what will be many years of his great service to the university and its football program."

January 19, 2023 1:55 PM press conference - ASU President Michael Crow: "Arizona State University is regretful to announce that Urban Meyer is stepping down as head coach of the Arizona State University football program to spend more time with his family. The university would like to thank Coach Meyer for his many minutes of service to the university and its football program, and wishes him great success in all his future endeavors."

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He takes ASU and runs a program that is much bigger and more complex than Jackson State while waiting for the FSU job to open?

I tend to think you are right although I think, in the end, this investigation with wither away and only a minor punishment will be levied. NCAA has no teeth any more and if Ray is fired that would mean everyone involved in the allegations would have been sent to the wood chipper.
I will also say that he is footing the bill (half is salary) for the football team in terms of football facilities and putting names on football uniforms for all SWAC teams. He obviously is a good man for doing this but a larger athletic department budget would be a nice perk in addition to only being paid $300k a year as HC.

However, if ASU has to pay $8M buyout to Herm, how much can / will they pay for a replacement?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will also say that he is footing the bill (half is salary) for the football team in terms of football facilities and putting names on football uniforms for all SWAC teams. He obviously is a good man for doing this but a larger athletic department budget would be a nice perk in addition to only being paid $300k a year as HC.

However, if ASU has to pay $8M buyout to Herm, how much can / will they pay for a replacement?
I feel like the floor for a new HC salary would have to be $4m-$5m per year? Maybe more?

I don’t know what Herm was making

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like the floor for a new HC salary would have to be $4m-$5m per year? Maybe more?

I don’t know what Herm was making
Herm was making $4M a year and contract ran through next year I believe. I'm sure it wouldn't be about money for Deion but I think he is a long shot for ASU. I think Harsin maybe the top target once he gets canned at Auburn.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose