Arizona still projected as #1 seed

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The loss to ASU didn't hurt the Wildcats too bad - only dropped to 4th in the polls, and all three main bracketologists still have the Cats as #1 in the West

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-sports-ncaa-tournament-bracketology/5530817/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

The reality is Arizona can afford two more losses as long as it shows up in the PAC tournament. Also, I'd rather be the #3 seed in the West than the #1 seed in the east, if that makes sense. Of course, match ups make a significant difference in how far we'll ultimately go in the tourney.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reality is Arizona can afford two more losses as long as it shows up in the PAC tournament. Also, I'd rather be the #3 seed in the West than the #1 seed in the east, if that makes sense. Of course, match ups make a significant difference in how far we'll ultimately go in the tourney.

I think UA can lose 2 more and still possibly get a 1 seed but it of course depends on everyone else and who they lose to.

I think if they finish with 4 losses win the conference and the tourney they are at worst a 2 possibly a 1.

Duke and SDSU won't get a 1 over UA since they beat both of them, beat SDSU on their own court. IF UA were to lose 3 more games before the dance then they slide not only out of 1-2 but maybe into the 4-5 area. I just don't see them losing 3 times.

I think they probably lose once more in the regular season and maybe in the tourney because without Ashley they lack depth to play 3 in a row.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think UA can lose 2 more and still possibly get a 1 seed but it of course depends on everyone else and who they lose to.

I think if they finish with 4 losses win the conference and the tourney they are at worst a 2 possibly a 1.

Duke and SDSU won't get a 1 over UA since they beat both of them, beat SDSU on their own court. IF UA were to lose 3 more games before the dance then they slide not only out of 1-2 but maybe into the 4-5 area. I just don't see them losing 3 times.

I think they probably lose once more in the regular season and maybe in the tourney because without Ashley they lack depth to play 3 in a row.

Duke is #5 with 5 losses, and if they beat 'Cuse this week, I'll bet dollars-to-donuts the AP and Coaches have them leapfrog us even if we sweep Utah and CU. The Selection Committee will take our "W" against Duke into consideration, but for ranking purposes, it does not matter to the voters.

I still contend a resume that includes road wins against Michigan and SDSU and a neutral site win against Duke would be tough to ignore to push us back too far, even with 4-5 losses at the end of the regular season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duke is #5 with 5 losses, and if they beat 'Cuse this week, I'll bet dollars-to-donuts the AP and Coaches have them leapfrog us even if we sweep Utah and CU. The Selection Committee will take our "W" against Duke into consideration, but for ranking purposes, it does not matter to the voters.

I still contend a resume that includes road wins against Michigan and SDSU and a neutral site win against Duke would be tough to ignore to push us back too far, even with 4-5 losses at the end of the regular season.

I get what you're saying but you have to remember seeding for the tourney one of the metrics they use is last 10 games. If UA finishes up with 4-5 losses, 3-4 of them would be in the last 10.

The other issue is the committee takes into account injuries, they admitted they dropped UCLA and gave the seed to UA last year because Adams was out, and it worked out to be the right move as UCLA got blown out in the first game. They will downgrade UA because they don't have Ashley, especially if they have 4-5 losses in the last 10 games, without him.

If get to the end with 2-3 losses they're a 1 for sure. 4 is doable if the other 2 losses are to good teams on the road. The thing is Colorado lost Dinwiddie so I'm not sure that's a good loss anymore, but that's probably the one of the 4 road games UA could lose without much penalty. Actually after looking I think anymore than 3 losses and UA drops out of contention for a 1, is looking at a 2-3. 4 losses goes 3-4 and 5 losses is 4-5.

I don't expect them to lose more than 2 more in the regular season, wouldn't surprise me at all if they go 5-1 or 6-0.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose