Arizona State to launch Division I hockey program

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First-year Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson wants to make a statement about the direction of Sun Devil athletics. His first major move will do just that.

The university is announcing today that it will elevate its national champion club men's hockey team to NCAA Division I status over the next three seasons. Anderson will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. in the Dutson Theater at the Carson Student-Athlete Center.

The move was made possible by private donations of $32 million by a group of hockey supporters, including Don Mullett, the father of former Sun Devil hockey student-athlete Chris Mullett.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/arizona-state-to-launch-division-i-hockey-program-111814

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sweet deal. Plus, I love the Devils uniforms

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Would be great if NAU and UofA followed along as well! D-1 hockey across the state would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Would be great if NAU and UofA followed along as well! D-1 hockey across the state would be awesome!

No chance. NHL hockey barely makes money in Arizona, can't see how a college team would profit. I think Byrne is content pumping donation $ into relevant sports that make money and bring the university exposure.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are several Pac-12 schools that have discussed it, but it will likely take a large hockey-specific donation to give them the push like ASU received (plus making the Title IX numbers work).

Ray Anderson is doing great things here. :sparky:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
No chance. NHL hockey barely makes money in Arizona, can't see how a college team would profit. I think Byrne is content pumping donation $ into relevant sports that make money and bring the university exposure.

I'm from The New York area so born and raised around hockey.
That said, I'm stunned by the popularity of the sport here in AZ, particularly at the youth level. Go to any skating rink early in the morning or later in the evening and they are all jam packed with kids playing in a youth league. The Ice Den here in Scottsdale can't keep up with the growth! They actually added a third rink to try to accommodate the growth and it's still no enough...
I think 10 years from now people are going to be surprised by how many kids from AZ are playing at the pro level, and having D-1 college options in state will be huge!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm from The New York area so born and raised around hockey.
That said, I'm stunned by the popularity of the sport here in AZ, particularly at the youth level. Go to any skating rink early in the morning or later in the evening and they are all jam packed with kids playing in a youth league. The Ice Den here in Scottsdale can't keep up with the growth! They actually added a third rink to try to accommodate the growth and it's still no enough...
I think 10 years from now people are going to be surprised by how many kids from AZ are playing at the pro level, and having D-1 college options in state will be huge!

Soccer fields are packed but that doesn't mean either Arizona school is able to produce a profitable men's soccer program. Hell baseball for each school can barely make a buck and this state produces an obscene amount of baseball players. ASU's basketball team probably wouldn't make money were it not for TV revenue based on the 3800 who showed up at WFA the other night.

I think this could make it if the Coyotes leave thus leaving ASU as the only hockey event in town but it will be tough if not. I think UA if it adds a sport will go the men's soccer route. The lower division pro team down there called FC Tucson actually does pretty well. The franchise is leaps and bounds outperformed the various failed Phoenix attempts at pro soccer. Plus easier travel since other West Coast schools have teams. I just don't see hockey ever happening at UA at the non-club level.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome news, I wish them great success. Hockey is a fantastic sport and I hope we continue to nurture its growth in the valley.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I wonder where they'll play long term, the current place doesn't seem ideal.

Could WFA have a rink put in? Though WFA may be over booked as is, so that may be an issue.

Maybe the USA Place Arena could have a rink put in. Though I'm not sure they'd want the potential moisture/slipping on the court issues---or has that been pretty much solved? I seem to recall always being worried about KJ's hamstrings even more than usual once the Coyotes ice was installed.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Could WFA have a rink put in? Though WFA may be over booked as is, so that may be an issue.

Maybe the USA Place Arena could have a rink put in. Though I'm not sure they'd want the potential moisture/slipping on the court issues---or has that been pretty much solved? I seem to recall always being worried about KJ's hamstrings even more than usual once the Coyotes ice was installed.

Well, it's US Airway Center for the near term anyway. I know ASU has a 20 year build-out planned so I'm sure if this takes off, something closer to campus can be done. I've also see some rumors that WF can do ice, but nothing on the record from them.

I remember those days at AWA too. The ice was always slush after a b-ball game. Just bad all around.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score

WFA would need a major refurb to get a rink in there. Not going to happen. Floor dimensions are way too small. The first 8-10 rows all around would have to be demolished.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Soccer fields are packed but that doesn't mean either Arizona school is able to produce a profitable men's soccer program. Hell baseball for each school can barely make a buck and this state produces an obscene amount of baseball players. ASU's basketball team probably wouldn't make money were it not for TV revenue based on the 3800 who showed up at WFA the other night.

I think this could make it if the Coyotes leave thus leaving ASU as the only hockey event in town but it will be tough if not. I think UA if it adds a sport will go the men's soccer route. The lower division pro team down there called FC Tucson actually does pretty well. The franchise is leaps and bounds outperformed the various failed Phoenix attempts at pro soccer. Plus easier travel since other West Coast schools have teams. I just don't see hockey ever happening at UA at the non-club level.

UA doesn't need to move from the club-level. I do believe that UA is still tops in club hockey attendance, at least they were for many years. Not many club teams draw 3-5k, with the occasional 8.5k sellout (usually vs ASU).

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well, it's US Airway Center for the near term anyway. I know ASU has a 20 year build-out planned so I'm sure if this takes off, something closer to campus can be done. I've also see some rumors that WF can do ice, but nothing on the record from them.

I remember those days at AWA too. The ice was always slush after a b-ball game. Just bad all around.

Ray Anderson was on Bickley and Morrotta yesterday and said his desire to have a rink put on campus... we'll see...